Author Topic: A way of using pomegranates: cordial/ syrup  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
A way of using pomegranates: cordial/ syrup
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:31:46 am »
We had a glut of pomegranate so I decided to use the TMX to make a cordial/ syrup. I couldn't find a lot of info on the net to do it with a TMX so I improvised.

I scooped 4 pomegranates which gave me 380g of seeds.
I blitzed the seeds for 10s at speed 9.
After straining the pulp (using the basket and a cloth) I ended up with 200ml of juice.
I added 200g of sugar and cooked the lot for 7mn at 100 deg C, soft speed.  I bottled the syrup straight away.

To be honest this isn't the best pomegranate syrup ever as I used a sweet variety of pomegranate but the method works- probably less messy than juicing the pomegranates with a conventional juicer...  We've added some lime juice to the cordial and it gives it the kick needed.
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A way of using pomegranates: cordial/ syrup
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:20:51 am »
Did you see this thread Carine - it is pomegranate ice-cream but Thermomixer has an idea of how to juice the fruit in the thermomix.

This was interesting too from this website.

Tips & ideas

'extracting the juice is easy with a potato press. Just remove all of the seeds and discard any pith and then press out the juice. Freeze or reduce with equal weights of sugar and quality white wine vinegar and reduce to a good syrup consistency.

to keep the seeds just remove them and layer them between sheets of Freezer–go–Between and then it’s easy to use them as you need them.'
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:30:05 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:32:24 pm »
Pomegranate sorbet & ice-cream sounds good too:  thanks Judy!  It's always good to have a few recipes handy, especially for fruits that are less "used" than others.

Offline Ilana

• View Profile
    • Ganache Chocolate
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:07:28 pm »
I just love this fruit. I use an orange press- I don't know their proper name-put half a pom and press with lever to get pure juice, no pulp or seeds. I cook on a low heat for a long time to reduce. Thank you Judy and Carine-will try!
mom to 10 kids! (okay... one is a son in law, one is a dog, 4 are cats)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:22:02 am »
Ilana, thanks for reminding me about the orange press:  it's a very useful "squeezer".    We used to have a steel one (with a little removable tray and a long lever) but it broke   :-\  My hubby had bought it ages ago in Chile and we haven't seen one like that since...  Should chase one up  ;)