Author Topic: Savoury Cheese Muffins  (Read 27130 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Savoury Cheese Muffins
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:25 am »
Savoury Cheese Muffins
For a couple of years I have been trying to replicate the beautiful savoury muffins Chris used to make in her cafe. She was quite prepared to share, but the problem was that the recipe was , a handful of this and a handful of that. I think that now I have finally recreated this experience. I have cooked these in Muffin Top trays as it is the top that I like.

2 cups of flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups of grated cheese
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons of corn,(either fresh or tinned)
6 black olives,sliced
2 Tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes, sliced
6 small leaves of silver beet or spinach , sliced
1/4 of a Spanish onion or 3 spring onions, sliced and cooked in a little water.
extra cheese for sprinkling on top.

2 muffin top trays.

DO

Set oven to 200oC, Fan Forced

Place in bowl of TMX, flour , baking powder, salt, pepper, mustard powder, mix 3 seconds at speed 5.
Add cheese. TURBO twice.
Add olives, tomatoes, corn , greens,and onion, TURBO twice
Mix eggs and milk together and add to TMX bowl, Turbo 3 times or until just mixed.

Spoon into the prepared trays that have been sprayed with Canola Oil.
Bake for 15/20 mins until top slightly brown.

These flat muffins can be re heated in the toaster in these bags as shown.

members' comments

dede - they are really good, although I forgot to add the extra cheese on top and I didn't have any black olives but still were really good. Next time I will add the extra cheese on top for that crunchy baked cheese flavor. Yum Yum.

cookie - I made these this morning and they were well liked. One lady decided she would slit it and put jam on it. I cringed and explained again that they were savoury. She loved it. Later when I thought about it I think it would have been nice as I like jam and cheese sandwiches. Great recipe Chookie.

Bedlam - they are divine. I didn't have corn or black olives but used stuffed green olives and some fresh basil. Found some muffin top tins also. Highly recommend these, thanks again for sharing.

krismakes - I made these for lunch to accompany soup.  I played with the ingredients a bit, had one cup Colby cheese and a small wedge of blue, didn't have sun dried tomatoes so used some split green chili olives as well as the black, also threw in a bit of parsley too.  Super yummy.  Didn't have muffin top tins so scratched around and found two 12 hole patty pans, did the trick and I was feeling clever too!  Thanks for a great recipe.

Teallele - I decided to give savoury muffins a go just scooping mixture on to a flat silicone baking tray. I was careful not to make the mix too thin and amazingly it worked. I ended up with a big flat (probably 1 cm thick) muffin cookie. They were soft like muffins with a crisper edge. I'd have to say they were a success and would also go nicely in the toaster.
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else can't get muffin top pans. I don't normally like savoury muffins and I suspect it is because there is too much of the light fluffy bit and not enough crust. This seemed to solve that problem.

courton -  tasty yummy even though I had only creamed corn and used this in ordinary small muffin pan. Will be great with chicken and corn soup.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:33:10 am by judydawn »

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Savory Cheese Muffins
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:10:01 am »
Excellent, I have been looking for a good savory muffin recipe. Could you make these into normal muffin shapes? or would they be better in the muffin top tins?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Savoury Cheese Muffins
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:02 am »
Good one Chookie, nice with a bowl of soup.  I keep forgetting to use my muffin top tins and like you, this is the bit I really like in a muffin - the size is better too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:36:32 am »
Dede, the original recipe was for the traditional shape,  but I just love the cooked top so converted them.  to cook 12 it says 200 for 10 to 15 mins.  Might take a bit more, I think 20 mins more likely.  I have eaten savoury muffins every where and find them , on the whole,  most unsatisfactory.  these suit my fussy taste,  and I feel very pleased with them.  see what you think and let me know.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:41:26 am »
they certainly look yummy and if they suit your fussy taste I might just like them as like you Im not a big fan of savoury muffins as I usually find them quite bland or generally missing something!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:58 am »
Chookie, these sound and look delious. Where did you get you muffin top pans?  Did you purchase your toaster bag in UK ? Haven't seen them here.
Denise

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:43 am »
bedlam, the Muffin Top trays were a gift, but I can certainly recommend them.  the bags for the toaster are really good but a bit expensive.  They are from an  Australian company, Simply Delightful.   Web site,  www.simplydelightful.com.au.   Bought them as I can't stand the bread crumbs that fall into the toaster. I have found them really good for reheating the Turkish Garlic bread as it prevents the garlic from  tainting everything.  They are easily washed out.  I thought that they might not work,  but they do.  just take a little longer to toast.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:28:08 am by judydawn »

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:06:14 am »
Thanks Chookie, I think a muffin top sounds like a great idea( possibly a few less calories). I am enjoying my TMX so much but can feel the weight creeping on!
Denise

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Savory Cheese Muffins
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:56 am »
I agree with savory muffins usually being bland and missing something so I have given up making them because no one eats them after the first try. I will be giving these ago on the weekend. I will let you know. Think I will try my muffin top tins as well. I got mine from Woolworths.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:40 am »
OOPS,  www.simplydelightful.com.au     I put a space in where there wasn't one.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:46:39 am »
Chookie, what dimension are they,my home made loads tend to be high rise is there lots of room in the bags?
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:52:04 am »
I'm having some friends round Monday so I think these will be on the menu. Thanks Chookie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:33 am »
Bedlam,  plenty of room in bags,  problem could be width of toaster slot.

Cookie, visitors today all ate 2 each and they are quite large,  so I think your visitors will like them.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:07 am »
Denise, I also found the muffin top pans in Woolworths - no other store I tried stocked them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:47:30 am »
Thanks Judy,will have a look in WW. Thanks Chookie,they look great.
Denise