Author Topic: Rosemary & Walnut Shortbreads - with photo  (Read 4189 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Rosemary & Walnut Shortbreads - with photo
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:34:32 am »
Made these gorgeous biscuits today, converted from a recipe on the BBC Good Food website. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5756/rosemary-and-walnut-shortbread

The following is my instructions for using a cookie stamp, but if you don’t have one use any cookie cutter you like, or of course follow the instructions on the website to make into a log and then cut off circles.

I’ve actually put a 6 inch log into the freezer to bake another day, wanted to see how it froze.

Beautiful, light biscuits, and the TM makes it so easy to chop the rosemary and walnuts perfectly.  

*If you prefer a chunkier nut, then only chop the flour, rosemary and walnuts for about 4 secs, but I needed a finer chop today because of using the stamp.

I got 26 biscuits plus the log for the freezer.

ROSEMARY & WALNUT SHORTBREADS
325g plain flour (when weighing in, add 25g first, then tare scales and weigh the remainder 300g)
120g sugar
1 1/2 - 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
60g walnuts (mine were straight from the freezer)
200g salted butter, cold and cubed
2 egg yolks

Place sugar into TM bowl.  Grind 2 secs/speed 9, leave in bowl.
Add the flour, rosemary and walnuts.  Chop  6 secs/speed 8. *see note above
Add butter and yolks and mix 20 secs/speed 6.
Knead 20 secs/Interval speed. Will be in clumps.

Remove to a work surface, bring together into a smooth ball.  Split dough in 2 for ease of rolling, put one aside.
Place the other on a sheet of baking paper, roll out to desired thickness.  Pull the paper onto a baking tray and refrigerate uncovered for only 5 mins.  Repeat with the other dough.

Take one of the trays out of the fridge and using the stamp, press all over the dough but don’t remove the dough. Place tray back in the fridge and repeat with other dough.  Leave them in the fridge for about 20 mins.

Preheat oven 180C.

Taking one tray out at a time, use a suitably sized cookie cutter and press around the stamps.  The biscuits will be chilled enough for you to pick them up and place on a baking paper lined tray without them losing their shape.  They don’t spread or rise much so place about ½ cm apart.

Bake approx 20 mins, mine were right at this time.  Remove tray from the oven, let sit for a min, then transfer biscuits to a rack to cool.

Re roll the left over dough and repeat the process, or if you have enough for now, roll into a log, wrap in plastic and store in a zip lock bag in the freezer for another time.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:04:33 am by JulieO »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rosemary & Walnut Shortbreads - with photo
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:15:42 am »
Just beautiful JulieO :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:13 am »
Just like bought ones, excellent effort and beautiful picture Julie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:16:00 am »
Thankyou Cornish and Judy.  They are really lovely, I really recommend making them.  So easy, easier still if you just roll up into a log etc.   :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:05:18 pm »
Thanks Julie.  Look yummy.   Will make.