Author Topic: NY Vanilla Cheese Cake (steam oven recipe)  (Read 4158 times)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
NY Vanilla Cheese Cake (steam oven recipe)
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
As i have seen in other posts that several people have steam ovens at their homes(im impressed as the one i have cost like 6k€) i thought i would share my recipe for NY Cheese Cake.

Its a 2 day process but its pretty simple but gives the most delicious texture i ever have tasted for cheese cake.

Ingredients:
1 kg Cream Cheese (Philadelphia or similar, by my experience it dosnt really matter if using similar(cheaper brands))
200 g white sugar (make it powder in the tmx at Max speed for 10 sec)
3 large eggs (1 yolks + 2 whole egg)
1 vanilla bean

For the crust:
200 g of Digestive
½ ts powdered cinnamon
½ ts powdered ginger
90 g melted butter
1 egg white (optional)

Start by making the cheese part.

In big bowl scrape out the seeds of the vanilla bean and blend with the sugar.
Add all the cheese to the bowl and stir it with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula (dont whip it as it will destroy the texture)
Stir in the eggs one at a time.
If you have done the above steps nicely you will still have a thick cream. If its runny you have stirred it too much but dont worry it will still make a cheese cake but the vanilla seeds will sink to the bottom of the cheese cake :(

I use a round silicone mold for this cake as when baked it makes it easy to flip it out but i guess you can use other types and cover button with baking paper or whole mold with plastic film.

Scrape out the cheese part into your mold and make it plain with a spatula.
"bake" in oven at 82 Celsius steam for 1h and 15 minutes.
When done open the oven door and wait 20-30 minutes before carefully sliding the mold(if using silicone) into another flat surface. Let the cake rest at room temperature for another 2 hours before setting it in the fridge for the next day.

For the crust:
Add the digestives to the tmx and process until powder
add spices, butter and egg white and process until smooth (30 sec or so)
In another mold similar size to the previous(preferable silicone) spread out the dough and make it evenly flat. I use a spatula covered in plastic film(dough dosnt stick to plastic film).

Bake in normal oven for 10 minutes at 170 celcius
Let it chill and flip it out on a flat plate
Flip out the chilled cheese cake part onto the cookie crust and your done.
(It might be easier if you lay the crust on top of the cheese cake part and the flip out both things at same time)

Serve it with fresh berries or a raspberry coulis.