Author Topic: Banning of plastic bags  (Read 8906 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Banning of plastic bags
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:36:22 am »
From today plastic bags are banned in South Australian shops and supermarkets so anyone visiting us please be aware that you must bring your own carry bags.  Those plastic bags for putting fruit and veg in, I believe are still in use but once you get to the check-out, you must have your own. We have had many months warning to get used to the idea but visitors to our state will get caught out nicely.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Banning of plastic bags
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:01:14 pm »
I must remember that when we come over in September.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
Where will you be staying in S.A. Cookie1, I'd love to meet you and DH.  Hope you get a reasonable length of time away this time before you have to go home for ma-in-law.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:27:04 pm »
We're planning on going down the Eyre Peninsula and then over to the Barossa and going to Adelaide and Hahdorf and places round there.  If we could manage it I'd love to meet up with you. DH spent some of his national service at Woodside.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:51:56 pm »
Sounds like you are going to get around our state.  Look forward to maybe being able to catch up somewhere reasonably close.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:54:11 pm »
From today plastic bags are banned in South Australian shops and supermarkets so anyone visiting us please be aware that you must bring your own carry bags.  Those plastic bags for putting fruit and veg in, I believe are still in use but once you get to the check-out, you must have your own. We have had many months warning to get used to the idea but visitors to our state will get caught out nicely.

Thanks JD - good to have the info - embarrassing to get ot the checkout with a trolley and find they don't supply bags!!!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:12:22 pm »
i read somewhere that the green bags are actually worse for the environment than plastic bags - they are worse to make and don't last as long as you hope they will and then they take longer to disintegrate.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 11:34:05 pm »
Stupid part is that we are now going to have to buy plastic bags to line our kitchen bins.  Don't know why they just don't supply biodegradable plastic bags.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:34:07 am »
We're planning on going down the Eyre Peninsula and then over to the Barossa and going to Adelaide and Hahdorf and places round there.  If we could manage it I'd love to meet up with you. DH spent some of his national service at Woodside.

Cookie, I would love to catch up with you, too if you get the time.
I actually live in the Adelaide hills about 5 minutes from Woodside on one side and Hahndorf on the other!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:33:00 am »
Amanda, that sounds like fun.  I'm having a quick look at my favourite site before we leave!!

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23:47 am »
Good on SA for taking this step! I hope the other states follow in your lead soon.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:15 am »
Hi Amanda, you are definitely in the right spot to catch up with Cookie1 in September.  Long way from us unless they decide to spend some time near the beach at either the Semaphore or West Beach caravan parks.  Wouldn't it be nice to put a face to a name.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 01:33:22 am »
Stupid part is that we are now going to have to buy plastic bags to line our kitchen bins.  Don't know why they just don't supply biodegradable plastic bags.

I could probably send you over a cubic metre of them  :-[ I always forget to bring my green bags. I feel like a criminal throwing away a plastic bag without having it full of (non recyclable/compostable) rubbish so they pile up and up!
Row

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:01 am »
I used to do the same thing, always left my canvas carry bags in the car when I popped in for one or two items then ended up with 3 bagsful ;D ;D ;D but over the last few months I have improved out of sight and as the ban came closer, I had learnt to always take a bag or two inside with me.  My sausage bag of plastic bags is down to just a few now which proves I have been getting it right.  Now I just buy the roll of plastic bags for the bin liner and because I recycle everything, like you, only have a couple in the bin on rubbish day.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 02:17:51 am »
At least they made it to the car  :-[ Mine usually stay in the house!

I am all for the ban, I think it's great, but I don't like the idea of buying bin liners. :( Do the stores still have recycling bins where people could dump their plastic bags? (I assume it's okay to fish them out again & use them)
Row