Author Topic: Lamb Shanks  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
Lamb Shanks
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:06:58 am »
I was just reading some of the forums and wondered if some of you could post your recipes for lamb shanks? Mine don`t always turn out the way that I would like them to. This has nothing to do with the tmx, I doubt if they would even fit in it. :D :D Thanks Sandy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Shanks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:08:17 am »
Hi Sandy.  I usually make mine from my head but it goes something like this.  Presumably you are using a slow cooker, if not I will give oven times too.

4 lamb shanks, trimmed of all fat possible (this takes time but is necessary)
olive oil & butter
l large onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup red wine
400g can diced tomatoes
l cup beef stock
S & P to taste

Dust the lamb shanks in flour and brown in a little oil. Place in slow cooker or baking dish.  Saute chopped vegies until lightly brown and softened, add remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, scraping up any caramelised bits off the bottom of the pan. Season with S & P. Pour over the shanks and bake 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high in the slow cooker or in the oven 180o for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.  If you make them the day beforehand, you can remove any excess fat that has solidified.  The liquid should be enough for the slow cooker but you may have to add some more water to an oven recipe - just check as you go along.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:38:04 am »
Thanks Judydawn. That sounds pretty good so I will try it as soon as the shanks defrost.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:50 am »
The way I do the shanks is similar to judydawn.  Long slow cooking and not too much moisture. Perfect for the slowcooker, but on top of stove is how I often do them - but with a simmer mat underneath.

Best way for me was on the coolest part of the slow-combustion stove.  Don't have it now though.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog