Author Topic: Chicken with Normandy Sauce & a Potato Mash with lemon zest and chives  (Read 23971 times)

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
Re: Chicken with Normandy Sauce & a Potato Mash with lemon zest and chives
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 10:17:47 am »
We had this dish last night and it was a certain hit, I served it with smashed potatoes and veg and we all enjoyed, thanks  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
have been meaning to make this the moment you posted it frozzie. it got the 'thumbs up' from everyone. we all thought the sauce was to die for. we obviously don't have small chicken breasts like you can get in France, so I just halved mine to make them thinner as they weighed the same as yours and I could only buy 2 big thick ones. i had heaps of herbs and reserved a tablespoon to put in with the potato mash. we didn't have cognac and a big bottle cost about $60, but apparently brandy is a close match as it is a matter of being 'regional' or something along those lines. this gets the tick from me, and thank you so much for posting it  :-*

(PS. DD does not think that the picture does it any justice at all, but there you go - at least it gives you an idea  :D)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
haha CP just tell DD she doesnt know what she is talking about, your photo is lovely and WOW that is one huge breast..ours here can fit into the palm of hyour hand to your fingertips comfortably but i think they use alot more hormones in breeding in oz than in europe..

re the cognac...brandy (known as eau de vie in french which is a clear brandy) would have been a pretty close match as cognac is a type of brandy and it actually makes the sauce..has a certain flavour that is typical to a normandy..and yes it is a regional thing and the true type of brandy used in normandy is actually calvados (a local brandy that is a distillation from cider either apple or apple/pear from local regional fruit and comes from the area of Calvados in normandy).  I used cognac as thats what hte recipe called for and calvados is not as easy to come by as we arent so close to normandy where we are.  Cognac however, from the region cognac and is a distillation of white grape varieties local to the region also..there are several different qualities of cognac....coming from france you can buy it in small bottles so i have one i use for cooking..would NOT be paying 60 dollars for a bottle to use in cooking though lol..

Alcohol is alot more expensive in oz...i notice it everytime I go back ...we have wine in our celllar that is worth several thousand dollars in oz...if you notice in oz wine or bottle shops the wine, even the collectable wine and very very expensive bottles are never more than a few years vintage...criminal...they should be alot cheaper but think that is where they make their money..here we buy it cheaper only a few years old and age it (if suitable to be aged) in our cellar and obviously the older it is the more valuable and better it will taste..it really angered me when i saw how ridiculous prices were and not at all worth it.  DH and I had a laugh at how much some of our bottles would be worth in oz!!

Glad you enjoyed it  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Made this last night. Absolutely delicious, a hit with us all.

I used 2 chicken breast & halved them. Didnt have cognac  so used brandy. Did use creme fraiche.

So easy, so quick  5/5 from all of us.

I served with steam brocolini & carrots.

Sorry no photo, it was gone in minutes.

I cooked the chicken in the final stage for 6 minutes & it was perfect.

Thank you Frozzie.

Halex :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Glad ou liked it halex  :)

I havé so many recipes i need to post...hopefully Before we leave if not Will gavé to wait until oz..im starting to miss cooking new recipes .. Same old same at thé moment..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Very mch looking forward to more recipes when you have time :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I saw this on FB the other day and remembered it has been on my to-do list for years!  Tonight I cooked 1 chicken breast for myself but made the full quantity of the mushroom sauce (yes I did have cognac) as I can always use that in other ways.  I kept the chicken dish warm in my baby thermoserver whilst I cooked vegies to accompany it.  It is delicious as others have said, thanks Frozzie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A nice looking meal Judy. 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.