Author Topic: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle  (Read 225233 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Eat, fast and live longer - the 5:2 lifestyle
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
Another question ... does the fasting day have to be midnight to midnight ... can it be noon to noon?  My thinking is that, for me, eating lunch one day then missing dinner and breakfast and having lunch the next day would probably work, but is this the cheats way (I think it probably is)?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:05 pm »
Marina,  the theory behind the 500 calories is that it is a quarter of what a woman would eat on a normal day.  In the end it is the loss of the the 1000 calories that creates the weight loss.  To kick start the mechanics that do the other good things to your system you are to do without food for a certain number of hours,  I think it is 15,  but it maybe more. Some people eat just one meal a day of 500 calories,  some 2 meals a day, and some 3.  Yours therefore would probably work depending on when you had your  last meal on your 5 day.   Hope this makes sense.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14:35 am »
Thanks, Chookie.  I think I can work with that theory.  This will have to wait until after our trip away, but I am thinking I might just give it a try.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06:34 am »
Sorry Cuildh, I think that is a bit dodgy - you'd only be missing two meals instead of three). Best and simplest approach is to fast from when you wake up to when you go to sleep (and that doesn't include afternoon naps!  :D).
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:21 pm »
Sorry Cuildh, I think that is a bit dodgy - you'd only be missing two meals instead of three). Best and simplest approach is to fast from when you wake up to when you go to sleep (and that doesn't include afternoon naps!  :D).
I guess, in my heart of hearts, I knew that my idea really wasn't going to work ... worth a try though!

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2013, 01:31:48 am »
I only managed a month of this:) I'm afraid that I didnt have the will power that everyone else seems to have and I did find the 2 days hard. I wonder if I had been more organised and had a few more recipes if I could have kept going - probably not:) :) I wish I could have though as I do love the concept and the health benefits that are supposed to come from eating this way.  I will follow with interest how everyone is going.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:14 am »
Shazzy,  don't beat yourself up over this.  All diets don't suit everyone. See if you can find an eating pattern that will give you what you want and fit your life style. 

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 05:18:06 am »
Shazzy, I did the diet for months and was finding it harder and harder. I hate counting calories and cooking for a man who still wanted three meals a day was very difficult. Also lots of travelling for medical reasons and it all became too hard.

After advice from a friend I am back on it and finding it much easier. This time I have being having a long black iced coffee for breakfast and a low calorie supermarket meal for lunch. Two eggs for dinner and still enough calories left over for a cup of berries. My husband only has 5:2 one day a week and he has just over 100 calorie breakfast (same every time)  and all of a sudden it has become much easier.

Even though I am passionate about cooking, it is so much easier not to cook for those two days ;D
And to my surprise I have found a few brands of meals I am happy to eat.

Rog, I am into the green smoothies - never ever thought I could drink a muddy green drink and enjoy it  ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21:25 am »
Rog, I am into the green smoothies - never ever thought I could drink a muddy green drink and enjoy it  ;D
Which ones do you like, Elle?  I have never quite managed to talk myself into trying any.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013, 07:24:27 am »
Cuidilh, I have tried French Bistro (gourmet to go), with St.Dalfour France, across the top. Have only tried Wild Salmon with vegetables from the range and I like it. 826gs  in the pack.

The other  brand is Tasty Bites, they are all Indian vegetarian and supposed to feed 2- we eat it as one serving without adding rice. My husband has eaten the higher calorie one,while I have eaten a spinach and paneer one. Looked like a murky green smoothie! But tasted good. No dreaded additives, colourings, flavours or numbers etc in either.

Cuddling, just reread your query - will leave that info for anyone who wants that info  :-*

For the green smoothie, I either follow a recipe or start with cucumber - peeled if it is not a baby one, small amount frozen banana, apple or pear, and whatever greens I have on hand. Often use lettuce (usually dies in my fridge), a small frozen block of spinach, have tried kale a few times (very expensive for something so bitter) and a  handful or two of ice. I also like fresh ginger and a squeeze of lemon or lime. I blitz for a little while and check if I need to add fluids. (Usually cold water) Blitz for about 2 mins and check the flavour. I might add a date or some almond butter and blitz a while longer. Very much on how it tastes, without it being full of fructose. I keep buying celery, but really don't like it as a base for the smoothie. Have a tin of coconut water to try and if I don't like it, it will be in a smoothie.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2013, 07:34:52 am »
ElleG, I have a green smoothie everyday but not as concernced by the fructose as you so probably have a little more fruit and have never tried adding cucumber. I find if you include a banana it hides the taste of pretty much any greens.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013, 08:47:24 am »
Pineapple is good at hiding the green taste too :)

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »
I think it's very much a state-of-mind/heart thing Shazzy, much like giving up smoking. I tried many times to stop but never got further than a couple of weeks (guess my heart wasn't really in it). Then one day, more years ago than I care to remember, I suddenly decided "that's it", chucked the fags in the bin, gave away my pipes, tobacco and the rest of the paraphernalia... and haven't had so much as a puff since  ;D (though I do still have the odd guilty dream about smoking  ???)

So, once you've got the mind/heart sorted, it's a lot easier.

Happy fasting.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:48 am »
My DH and I started this 'lifestyle change' today and all seems to be going well so far, fingers crossed that we will keep it up.  We are doing Tuesday and Wednesday as our fasting days.  Chookie very kindly loaned me one of her books on this subject which had a lot of helpful and interesting background on the diet as well as lots of recipes.  I also downloaded some good vegan recipes from vegetarianrecipeclub.org.uk where they have a section on this diet.

Quite coincidentally, Michael Mosely's programme was on SBS here in Melbourne last night.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 09:01:02 am »
Good luck to you Marina but you both looked great to me  ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.