Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5207498 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #3330 on: June 08, 2012, 11:05:45 am »
I've never made Gnocchi, I don't really like it.

Last night I made Pasta Carbonara con Funghi (an adaptation of Rainbow's recipe) and it was divine! Tonight, I've adapted Quirky Jo's Chicken Satay and it is also delicious.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »
yes Amy  ;D

Thanks Uni ;D I'm probably a bit slow :-))
I think I need to try it. I've never had it before, in case you hadn't guessed that already ;)

Poached and eggs and potato wedges here tonight :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »
Ds had pizza, we had Lamb Tagine, tum :P

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: June 08, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »
Ds had pizza, we had Lamb Tagine, tum :P

H :)

Is that supposed to say tum Hally? Or yum? ???
I'm trying to figure out whether you enjoyed your Lamb Tagine or not... :-)) :)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »
Yum Amy! Is that a marinara mix from supermarket? I never buy those mixes, but I think I should give it a go.

It was very yum Bubbles!! ;D
I actually went to my local fish factory and bought each seafood item (fish fillet, prawns, scallops and squid) separately and made the mix up myself ;) Yum yum yum fresh seafooooood!!! :D
Whoops sorry Amy!  :-[ I did think it looked amazing, and way better than any mix I'd ever seen in a supermarket, so now it makes sense  :-)) Wow, that is super impressive!

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:31 pm »
Yum Amy! Is that a marinara mix from supermarket? I never buy those mixes, but I think I should give it a go.

It was very yum Bubbles!! ;D
I actually went to my local fish factory and bought each seafood item (fish fillet, prawns, scallops and squid) separately and made the mix up myself ;) Yum yum yum fresh seafooooood!!! :D
Whoops sorry Amy!  :-[ I did think it looked amazing, and way better than any mix I'd ever seen in a supermarket, so now it makes sense  :-)) Wow, that is super impressive!

LOL no worries Bubbles!!! You gave me a laugh :D
Thanks :) And I definitely think you should give it a try! It looks impressive but is actually quite simple ;) Do you have a fish factory where you can get fresh seafood?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: June 08, 2012, 12:43:11 pm »
What a delicious mess.

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:00 pm »
Urk. Even mine looked better than that Gert ;D

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »
 Amy there is a place in the industrial area of our town where you can get cheap fresh seafood apparently, I guess you'd call it a fish factory? I'm embarrassed to say I don't really cook seafood that often, I usually just order it when we go out, but I guess like everything else now that I have TMX that could/will change! Is the marinara sauce difficult?

jakodai

« Reply #3339 on: June 08, 2012, 12:47:55 pm »
do you think that they make the gnocchi jakodai ?

the best store bought gnocchis  for me are julianos gnocchi

Probably not, but it still tastes better than what I've been able to do! Lol. I've always struggled with the carbonara sauce. There's a couple of restaurants that I've been to where the sauce was beautiful, and it's only been the last couple of times that I've made it that I've really enjoyed what I've made. Now to attempt gnocchi... I've been buying gnocchi from farmers markets, etc lately. I'm a little scared of making it myself.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:51 pm »

After a couple of bottles of Champers we made quite a mess of the Marinara but it was delish .....I think.

I cooked it for the friends who moved away. They must  have got sick of my TMX  offerings.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »
Amy there is a place in the industrial area of our town where you can get cheap fresh seafood apparently, I guess you'd call it a fish factory? I'm embarrassed to say I don't really cook seafood that often, I usually just order it when we go out, but I guess like everything else now that I have TMX that could/will change! Is the marinara sauce difficult?

Yep, that sounds like the place to go! I had to buy my prawns and scallops frozen and defrost them, but I got the fish and squid fresh. Its all pretty easy to prepare, just make sure you get all the entrails out of the prawns :-))
The only tricky part about this dish is cooking the seafood perfectly. It cooks very quickly, so you really have to judge by the size and quantity how long you cook it for ;)
My marinara sauce is a variation on the EDC marinara sauce. Would you like me to post it on the forum or would you like to make up your own variation? Its very easy  :D

• View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

After a couple of bottles of Champers we made quite a mess of the Marinara but it was delish .....I think.

I cooked it for the friends who moved away. They must  have got sick of my TMX  offerings.

Gert

LOL Gert, I think I've already said it, but I need to say it again (with love of course :-*): you're a dag :D

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:21 pm »
Yep, that sounds like the place to go! I had to buy my prawns and scallops frozen and defrost them, but I got the fish and squid fresh. Its all pretty easy to prepare, just make sure you get all the entrails out of the prawns :-))
The only tricky part about this dish is cooking the seafood perfectly. It cooks very quickly, so you really have to judge by the size and quantity how long you cook it for ;)
My marinara sauce is a variation on the EDC marinara sauce. Would you like me to post it on the forum or would you like to make up your own variation? Its very easy  :D

Oh thanks Amy, I didn't realise there was one in the EDC until you pointed it out :-))  I can give the EDC one a go, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it given I was going to buy the supermarket version originally  ;D  but if you get a chance sometime I'd love to see your variation as well :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:24:23 pm by judydawn »

• View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:34 pm »
Oh thanks Amy, I didn't realise there was one in the EDC until you pointed it out :-))  I can give the EDC one a go, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it given I was going to buy the supermarket version originally  ;D  but if you get a chance sometime I'd love to see your variation as well :)

Yeah, it was a while before I found it too!! Lol, yep, I can guarantee you will enjoy it more than a supermarket version ;) ;D
I will type up my variation and post it tomorrow :)