Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8990584 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #31305 on: December 28, 2017, 05:16:21 pm »
Great looking loaf Cookie 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31306 on: December 28, 2017, 09:55:51 pm »
Cookie, how did your loaf taste. ?  That is a lot of salt.
I looked at Sophie’s blog and this recipe.  It seemed like a lot of trouble even using the TMX, unless of course it is an exceptional loaf.
I think that many people make SD baking much too complicated without gaining a better result.
For a good SD loaf these would be my main points.
Strong starter
Long fermentation
Cook in an iron pot with lid.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31307 on: December 29, 2017, 01:32:55 pm »
Chookie I hardly ever add salt to my bread if it has white bakers' flour as I use the Laucke bread mix. Judy the loaf is nice, has a slightly SD taste but as Chookie said it is a lot of trouble to go too.  I love trying the different recipes and comparing them to what I make regularly. It's the Classic bread for DH and DD with oatmeal and spelt flour replacing 100g of the flour and added seeds. I like to make Yoke's rye starter SD bread .  these seem to be firm favourites here, with rolls made from Chookie's no fuss recipe. ( I use that for bread if I haven't had time to feed up my starter)

I have a brioche style dough in the fridge overnight. It's DD's birthday very soon and she has,ordered a Bee Sting style cake from Poh's latest book.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:34:59 pm by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31308 on: December 29, 2017, 01:41:55 pm »
You are really into your bread making cookie and seem to try so many different types.  Hats off to you and Chookie who makes a lot of bread too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31309 on: December 29, 2017, 08:16:58 pm »
Judy, like cookie I love making bread. I admire Cookie as she tries lots more different recipes than I do.
I love Cookies Vienna recipe and often make this in various forms.  It makes a lovely bread stick for garlic bread and GS loves it as rolls.  Recently I saw him take 2 to eat with his lunch. Today I am making 18 small round rolls from this recipe. Will use them as filled rolls. Some with curried mince, some with mushrooms and some with Creamed corn with ham.
Cookie I have changed to use Laucke Organic flour. It costs the same as the mix and has a slightly different texture, more like the Spelt. But I have to add the salt, sugar and improver.
Also I love Brioche. I would be interested to hear how Poh’s Recipe turns out. Annie Smithers one is very good.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #31310 on: December 30, 2017, 12:08:44 am »
Checking out what you girls have been up to in the kitchen is always fun and inspiring.
I've found a recipe for an oat bread so I'm going to give that a go this coming week.
Made more black bread today but I'm still having trouble with it sticking to the loaf tin. I broke a spatula easing the sides of the loaf away from the tin :-)). I'm trying to avoid lining the tin with baking paper as the loaf is cooked at 200 degrees for an hour and 40 mins and the baking paper tends to go brown and brittle at the top. Eeeww. Next thing I'm going to try is lining the tin with lots of seeds or maybe rolled oats. Any suggestions would be much appreciated  :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #31311 on: December 30, 2017, 12:09:33 am »
I have made a birthday cake for a friend, and butter icing, looks good.

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #31312 on: December 30, 2017, 12:17:05 am »
A friend is coming for lunch today so I made a quiche Lorraine, a bacon lettuce & tomato salad and Mango Fluff for dessert.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #31313 on: December 30, 2017, 03:06:08 am »
Any chance of getting the recipe for the Mango fluff Mab?  Ta.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #31314 on: December 30, 2017, 06:34:14 am »
Cuildh, it's a nice light dessert from Chookie.  Mango Fluff  I have made it with strawberries but we prefer the mango version.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31315 on: December 30, 2017, 12:03:37 pm »
Mango fluff is my GD favourite sweet.
Djinni, I always line bread tin or pots with 2 layers of baking paper. I don’t think it is a problem if it goes crispy around the edges. Just tip the bread out. I use the same paper  2 or 3 times. You could also use brown paper.
Made 18 bread rolls and a seed loaf in cold oven. I baked loaf first then popped rolls into heated oven.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31316 on: December 30, 2017, 12:08:24 pm »
Like Chookie I love playing around bread. This forum has given me so much confidence to do it. Also not having to knead the dough by hand helps a lot.

I made the brioche dough yesterday and it sat in the fridge overnight. Today I let it rise again and put the almond topping on it, then baked it. It is still warm and I will leave it in the tin until tomorrow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #31317 on: December 30, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »
Cuildh, it's a nice light dessert from Chookie.  Mango Fluff  I have made it with strawberries but we prefer the mango version.
Thanks.  I had forgotten about this recipe.  I would have to substitute the yoghurt with coconut yoghurt or try it with lactose free yoghurt.  Wonder how that would go ...  I might just give it a try later this week.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31318 on: December 30, 2017, 09:40:46 pm »
Marina, I think both would be ok. I would probably go with the lactose free one.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #31319 on: December 30, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »
Great bread baking , do you freeze some ? one day I will have to try doing this .