Author Topic: Freezer Meals  (Read 33590 times)

Offline Salsa Picante

• View Profile
Re: Freezer Meals
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 09:35:41 am »
Kathryn,

I did that for years! Then somehow forgot about that :o. Wonder why.

Thanks for gently knocking my memory! I will start doing that again now!
Susanne from Germany

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 10:10:35 am »
I haven't been checking the site recently, and was absolutely thrilled when I saw this thread!  This is precisely what I'm working on at the moment (stocking the freezer).  Thanks so much for starting it, ILB.

I've got the usual suspects in mine.  But I think as I do ones in the TMX I'll list them from now on - then if anyone's looking to plan a cook-up for the freezer, but their brain isn't clicking into gear (like mine frequently doesn't  ;D) they can read 'beef casserole from Fast & Easy book' rather than a generic 'casserole'

Over the last few days I've made a beetroot cake (basically took the carrot cake recipe but used beetroot, and added half tsp of ginger in place of some of the cinnamon.  Icing, made butter icing then mixed in the cream cheese.  When I grated the beetroot I took out 1 tsp and put it with 2 tsp cold water.  I then used this water in the icing mix to make it pink.  Otherwise, it's the same.)  Ate half and froze half.

Made blueberry waffles that can be grabbed, stuck in the toaster, and eaten as a quick breakfast or snack.  I'll get around to posting the recipe.

Also cucumber soup, using up cucumbers from the allotment (again, I'm getting around to posting the recipe).

I've made some portions of rice for the freezer.  I crumble it up in the bag when it's frozen, so that I can take handfuls for soup or whatever.  Also portions of cheese sauce.

I'm getting around to making some shepherd's pies for the freezer, and some yorkshire puddings.  Perhaps I'll get to that today.

I've been inspired by quite a few of the postings here, so I'll be expanding my repertoire.

All the other meals I've done were in the slow cooker - sorry.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 01:52:16 pm »
CarolineW - I had actually thought of you and exciting arrival when I posted this  :-* remembering the hours I spent on getting meals in the freezer before DD arrived and how handy they were.

Thermomixer - re the Chicken and Cashews I think it was actually the sauce that ruined it.  It was really thick and revolting.  To be honest I don't think I've made it since.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 02:06:26 pm »
I checked my freezer again this morning to see how I was going in my clean up efforts.  Only 3 lots of meat left in there but 6 ready to go meals still.  How handy are they going to be when I have baby GS here for a week from next Thursday.  Oh, happy days, no cooking which means I may just manage to cope for the week.  The meals I have in the freezer are -

Chicken cacciatore casserole - will serve with some frozen rice
Beef enchiladas/salad
Pork ragu/pasta
Meat lovers pizza
Thai Pork, veal and corn cakes - ready to cook in the oven with some oven fries/salad
Cottage pie base/need to do the mashed potato

Thank goodness I concentrated on the meat and not the ready cooked meals.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:22:07 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 04:06:47 pm »
Kathryn,

I did that for years! Then somehow forgot about that :o. Wonder why.

Thanks for gently knocking my memory! I will start doing that again now!

You are welcome, with the Thermomix it is just sooo easy  ;)

Caroline...how are you feeling and how long until you have a bundle of joy in your arms?? We have missed you  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 04:08:11 pm »
CarolineW - I had actually thought of you and exciting arrival when I posted this  :-* remembering the hours I spent on getting meals in the freezer before DD arrived and how handy they were.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »
Judy - thanks so much for the list.  I'm now making a note of the ingredients I need to be able to get them in my freezer too  ;D  And yes - thank goodness you hadn't already used them up!!!!  :o

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 05:49:45 pm »

Caroline...how are you feeling and how long until you have a bundle of joy in your arms?? We have missed you  :-* :-*

Hi Faffa, I'm feeling well (except for a torn ligament in my foot!) thanks.  The baby is doing very well - s/he's very active and wriggly  ;D  It's possible for others to feel her/him kicking too, now.  I've still got 4 months to go, but I'm BIG  :D

It looks like this pregnancy is roughly following the route of my first pregnancy, so the rest of it should be plain sailing now.  All the contractions, etc, have stopped now, and I can do pretty much anything I like within reason without any side effects.  So I'm very, very happy. 

Having to have my foot up lots means that I've got 2 pairs of booties and a hat ready and waiting for him/her when s/he arrives!  And thanks to Thermie I can still cook OK, I just have a stool pulled up to the work bench to help out.  So the only thing that's a real nuisance is being unable to drive to do the school run.  Never mind, hopefully I'll be back on it next week.

Did I just read somewhere that you weren't doing so well?  Hope you're feeling better now.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 01:48:52 am »
Good to see you back - sorry about the ligament.  Take care  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 09:26:48 am »
When I read all the things you were doing for the freezer Caroline, I knew you must be going along OK now.  So nice to hear you can now enjoy the pregnancy AND your cooking. Glad my list helped.  That's what this forum is all about and anyone who tells us to 'get a life' doesn't know how good this one is.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:45 pm »
When I read all the things you were doing for the freezer Caroline, I knew you must be going along OK now.  So nice to hear you can now enjoy the pregnancy AND your cooking. Glad my list helped.  That's what this forum is all about and anyone who tells us to 'get a life' doesn't know how good this one is.
Ain't that the truth!  ;D

vivacity

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »
I think this thread is a brilliant idea. When I ate more meat I bought a few "once a month" cookery books and the standard one on amazon seems to contain nothing but meat, meat, meat, large amounts of sugar, fat and yes, more meat. Call me an old griper but some of the authors of these oamc books seem to think that the most important thing with this approach is to set (yet another) meat-based meal on the table. I preferred "Fix, Freeze, Feast", but now I can see that the majority of the recipes are not compatible with what I want to cook over the next few weeks.

Does anyone out there (experienced vegetarians/vegans perhaps?) know if there is a cookery book on the market which has vegetarian recipes that can be prepared in advance and then frozen? I don't aim to whisk out a frozen veggie meal every evening for supper, but it would be nice if I knew that I could rely on something meatless from my freezer reserves. I don't think I have ever eaten so much meat than when I did OAMC. I didn't feel too good either and my bottom started to have two time zones :-))

I've scoured amazon in Germany, the UK and the US but there doesn't seem to be anything suitable. I'd be grateful for any tips from the forum ;)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 07:18:59 pm »
Isn't it funny how you want to hold "your baby" in your arms....

Lots if ways:
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 12:37:04 am »
Hi Vivacity,
I have a few vegetarian recipes that freeze really well. Some lentil patties that not only are really moorish, a sweet potato curry and a few others that I'll dig up for you. They're on my conversion list, however if you'd like them sooner I can scan them and email them through if that would help??
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 02:17:43 am »

I've scoured amazon in Germany, the UK and the US but there doesn't seem to be anything suitable. I'd be grateful for any tips from the forum ;)

See what I can find Viv - nothing springs to mind - but sure there would be something.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.