Author Topic: Tabouleh flavoured with orange juice & zest  (Read 6462 times)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Tabouleh flavoured with orange juice & zest
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:07:17 pm »
Well I don't use a written recipe but here is more or less how you do it.

First you boil the bulgur(500g) in water(1L) with a bit of salt and olive oil. (needs to cook for about 10 minutes and if its still too wet then give it some extra time in the microwave without lid).

Take two oranges and wash them thoroughly with soap.
Use a fine grater and get only the orange part of the zest and mix with the boiled bulgur. Squeeze out the juice of both oranges and add about ½ of the juice to the bulgur (drink the rest :) )
Taste with a bit of pepper and salt if needed. Leave to rest in fridge for min. 2 hours.

To serve it add chopped and toasted almonds, peach cut into dices(without the peel), dried apricot into strips, fresh rucola salad, leaves of fresh basilic cut into strips. Sprinkle over a bit of olive oil and a good balsamico.

Members' comments
Marina - I made a half quantity of this yesterday - used 4 apricots, 1 peach, a handful of rocket, 1 1/2 handfuls of almonds (toasted and milled in the TMX) and about 8 basil leaves.  It needed a fair splash of EVOO and balsamic at the end, but it was really nice.  Much to my surprise DH enjoyed it - he usually doesn't like fruit in savoury type dishes, but he went back for seconds.

Now that I've made this once I think I was too conservative with the final ingredients and would use a few more apricots, perhaps 2 peaches and more rocket, almonds and basil as well.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:30:49 am by judydawn »

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Tabouleh flavoured with orange juice & zest
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:18 am »
Yummo! Sounds delish. You could probably use couscous too. Thanks bluesed
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:43:05 am »
It made my mouth water. I imagine it would be perfect for a hot day.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:35:08 pm »
I made a half quantity of this yesterday - used 4 apricots, 1 peach, a handful of rocket, 1 1/2 handfuls of almonds (toasted and milled in the TMX) and about 8 basil leaves.  It needed a fair splash of EVOO and balsamic at the end, but it was really nice.  Much to my surprise DH enjoyed it - he usually doesn't like fruit in savoury type dishes, but he went back for seconds.

Now that I've made this once I think I was too conservative with the final ingredients and would use a few more apricots, perhaps 2 peaches and more rocket, almonds and basil as well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.