Author Topic: Swiss Beef  (Read 48436 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Swiss Beef
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 05:55:17 pm »
I pass on a lot of recipe LINKS to blogs, to this forum and so on, because in my opinion it is cheating to claim another person's work as ones own.

I have had a number of my published recipes hijacked as some have been posted on line even before the WWW as I belonged to several discussion groups via Compuserve, Genie and then Prodigy. 

As I am also an artist, and have also had some of my drawings and paintings used by others, and those can be copyrighted and are, I am especially sensitive about this.  My painting of the basenji Fula of the Congo was the frontispiece in the Kennel Club's 1998 book of Illustrated Standards and a few years ago "prints" began showing up on eBay.  Both the KC and I went after the distributors in the UK and US but as the prints were coming out of China, it was a problem.  However, I just put a notice in the Basenji Magazine here and in the Club bulletins here and in the UK and basenji folks simply wouldn't buy them.  I still own the copyright to the painting but have given the KC permission to use it for prints and the Basenji Club of Great Britain to use it on trophies (glass paperweights).

Some of my old family recipes (or "receipts") are almost unique and were not to be found anywhere else but I am certainly willing to share freely, as long as others don't claim them as their own. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 08:06:08 pm »
Beautiful painting of your dog Andie,he was/is very handsome.We have just taken on a Springer Spaniel,he's lovely,great to have a dog in the house once again after a five year break.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:58:25 am by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:19 pm »
She wasn't mine.  She was found in the Southern Sudan in 1959 by Veronic Tudor-Williams, the doyen of the Basenji in the UK and although she was never shown, she had a profound effect on the breed. 
She had an extraordinary temperament - prior to that time basenjis were often quite testy - prone to bite if startled. 
Within only a few years the entire breed changed, or those that carried her genes did. 
Veronica and I became good friends when she came here to judge a specialty and she asked me to do a portrait of Fula after she died in 1974.  I did the painting in 1975 and when Veronica passed, she left it to the KC in her will. 
Veronica said the painting was more like Fula than any of the photographs of her. 
Prior to it being published in that book (and later in the book Treasures of the Kennel Club) they often had it displayed at the KC booth at Crufts. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:06 pm »
You are certainly a very talented woman Andie - thank you for sharing so much with us.  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »
Beautiful painting and interesting background information Andie. Thank you for sharing it.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:55 am »
So pleased I am now able to comment on this ever so tasty dish - thanks for posting, Chelsea.  I am thankful for the reviews on here as I may have been a little concerned at the risotto consistency if not for all the posts!  DH is not a lover of risotto but thought the texture and flavour of this was great.  I added 80ml red wine, some sliced carrots and a handful of sliced mushrooms + steamed broccoli.  Great recipe Chelsea!  :D

PS - enjoyed reading your post Andie - thank you!!!! :)  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:26:31 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 05:35:11 am »
I made 1/2 recipe of this one today but added a stick of celery and 2 small carrots (roughly chopped) with the onion and bacon then 4 sliced mushrooms and 200g sliced zucchini when adding the rice. There was no need to increase the stock because of the added vegies as the mushrooms and zucchini always add more liquid to a dish but I did reduced cooking times by 20% and it was perfect. It made 3 serves in this house.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:37:08 am by judydawn »

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 07:26:29 am »
I love vegie variations.  Well done JD!  :)

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:34 am »
Those that have made this very popular recipe, what cut of beef should we be using for this? I've been apprehensive about cooking beef (other than mince) in the TMX as I'm just not sure if it will come out tender.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 06:26:21 am »
LMT, I bought a blade roast and used it for this recipe and the Beef & Guiness stew - both dishes had melt in the mouth pieces of meat.  I cut my cubes for this recipe about 4cm as the first time I made it I only did it in tiny cubes and it ended up looking like minced meat.

Offline Jabejak

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2011, 08:21:24 am »
I made this tonight and added some capsicum, zucchini and carrot with the onion and bacon. I also had some left over pasta sauce from the night before so I added that too.

As I have a large family (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 toddler and 1 baby) I have to make sure we have enough so I also made the dumplings and cooked them in the varoma tray while the rice was cooking.

I used diced beef casserole and it has cooked up really nicely.

It is delicious.

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 05:11:13 am »
Great variations. Yum!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 09:38:42 am »
We had this the other night and it was a definite success all round. We will certainly make this again.

Kerryn

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:12 am »
We had this for dinner tonight.  Not pretty, but so tasty!  :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:30 pm »
Thank youChelsea, another one for my cow :)

Looks great, think it will be a hit with us all.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......