Author Topic: Household hints & tips to save money  (Read 147441 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Household hints & tips to save money
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:52 am »
Wonderful tip CP :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »
These are a couple of ideas that I came up with or saw recently (turns out I spotted them a little while later in various recipes and blogs so they are not as original as I thought!).  You may already know them, but I thought I would note them down here

If you are using a can or jar of tomatoes or sauce, etc. in your cooking and need to add stock or more liquid, measure it out in the can / jar as this then also serves to rinse out the extra tomato which can be incorporated into your cooking.  I used to always rinse the residue left in the cans out then throw it down the drain prior to putting the can / jar into my recycling bin.

Second tip I read recently.  If you use coconut cream or coconut milk from cans and you don't need or want the fluid, put the can in the fridge overnight then open the bottom up to drain off the fluid (for future use) and you are left with just the firm or hard coconut cream.

PS   It is also time this thread was bumped again as it is so full of great ideas!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2016, 12:12:41 am »
I do the first one but not the second, thanks Cuilidh.  :)

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2016, 12:23:04 am »
Thanks Cuilidh for the tips, I love this thread too!
I ordered some Chef Aid can covers, I have been using coconut milk, corn and baked beans cans a lot these days and I hate it when I have to store them in the fridge without a proper lid and then they dry out eventually..

Hope these things stop that from happening :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2016, 12:35:40 am »
I also do the first one but not the coconut one Marina although I had read that one too. 
Keep sharing your hints girls.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2016, 09:05:05 am »
Like Julie and Judy I do the first one Marina but haven't heard of the second.But will do that now. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »
Good ideas, thanks Marina.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2018, 01:59:28 am »
Here are a couple more ideas that I have had recently.

I always struggle when I am vacuum sealing my food.  First I freeze anything that contains fluid or will not withstand the pressure of vacuum sealing then I put the frozen items into the sealing bag and have to be sure to wipe off any dampness / fluid around the seal area, otherwise I don't get a true seal ... or at least, this has been my method until I had an "AH HA" moment during the wee hours last night.  This has always been a frustrating and time wasting exercise so I came up with this bright idea.

I sacrificed one new bag, trimmed and sliced open both sides of the top open seam (about 3 - 5 cm each side) then cut off the sealed end of the bag so that I ended up with a bag, open at both end.  Then all you do is slip the 'sliced' end into the bag you are sealing, pop the frozen item into the cut open end of the cylinder bag and the food slips easily into the bag you are going to seal without any moisture touching the sealing area. 

I am so happy. I just transferred and sealed 7 bags of soups and stews in the time it would normally have taken me to prepare one bag!   :)

My second 'bright' idea was dicing onions. 

On the occasions when I hand slice onion, I top and tail the onion, cut the onion in half then slice each half vertically first, then horizontally and find that the final horizontal slice or two slips all over the place and I end up with all sorts of weirdly diced onion (and sometimes cut fingers).  What I have found is if I do a couple of horizontal slices then turn the onion 180 degrees and start slicing the root or top end and work towards the centre I end up with a much more even end product and haven't cut my fingers yet using this method.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2018, 08:54:17 am »
Thanks Marina.   Both creative and practical.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2019, 05:23:50 am »
Here I am back with more (bright?) ideas.  Actually it is just a link that was in The Age's internet link to Good Food - it includes banana skin cake