Author Topic: Recipe Review-Chicken with Prunes from Meat on the Menu  (Read 10535 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review-Chicken with Prunes from Meat on the Menu
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 07:00:42 am »

This is a review from JulieO, posted elsewhere.

Wasn't sure at first as the sauce was an insipid colour and very thin after cooking with the butterfly in for 15 mins, but I then removed the butterfly and cooked for 5 mins more with the MC off.  The prunes dissolved and thickened and coloured the sauce.  It completely changed the look and flavour of the dish.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline wascallywabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »
I just purchased this cookbook so have been keen to try out all the recipes. I picked this as I had some chicken to use and it looked very simple, plus all the reviews have been quite positive. It was definitely easy to make but unfortunately it really didn't go down too well. Not sure what it is about it as I generally like prunes and sweet sauces, but I had to throw it all out. Maybe the prune and white wine combo made it seem a little too sickly sweet, but I unfortunately didn't know how to salvage it, so it was a real waste. :(

Interesting to see if anyone else found the same?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 03:59:22 pm »
Maybe just not to your palate wascallywabbit, I've just read the other reviews and they all seemed to be happy with this one. What a shame you had to throw it out.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 03:55:09 am »
It certainly is a shame as you did all the right things, like checking the reviews before hand.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the recipe as it may prevent someone else from having to throw it out.
I don't make a lot from this book. My favourite recipe in it is the steak with soba noodles.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline wascallywabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 01:47:09 pm »
Thanks cookie1 and judydawn for your responses - I guess it's a case of better trying and knowing than never trying at all! Yes, it must just be a personal preference of flavours so I'll just have to test out some of the other recipes to see what appeals. I'm sure I'll find something - perhaps steak with soba noodles should be next!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:48:50 pm by wascallywabbit »