Author Topic: Elvan Girl Soup (with photo)  (Read 8450 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Elvan Girl Soup (with photo)
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:56:09 pm »
This is one of the Turkish recipes that judydawn asked me to translate.
It’s a very tasty soup, called as Elvan Kiz Corbasi in Turkish. It is a little spicy and hot. You can reduce or exclude the pepper if you don't like hot.
I also noted down the exact weight in grams for the ingredients to be precise. Obviously it’s not like some bakery recipes where the precision may be very important. It's just indicative to show the exact amounts I used. I hope you like it

Elvan Girl Soup:
Ingredients:
1 onion (85g)
1 carrot (85g)
30g margarine
20g olive oil
40g flour

1 potato (130g)
100g red lentils
1400g water
30g TM vegetable stock (or meat stock)
2 bay leaves (I didn't have them fresh at home so I used 1 tsp dried bay leaves)
½ lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic

1 tbsp dried mint leaves
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp white pepper
Enough salt

Preparation:
Cut onion and carrot into big chunks, put them in TM bowl and proceed for 5 seconds on Speed 7. Put them in a pan and keep aside
Cut potato into big chunks and put in TM bowl. Chop by speeding up from Level 2 to Level 5 three times (7 seconds in total)
Add red lentils, water, TM stock, bay leaves, lemon juice and garlic. Cook for 30 minutes at 100°C on Speed 1
Add margarine and olive oil on the vegetables in the other pan. Saute for a few minutes. Add the flour and sauté for a few minutes more
Blend your soup for 10 seconds Speed 10.
Transfer the cooked vegetables in the pan into TM Bowl. Cook for 5 minutes at 100°C on Speed 2
Add dried mint leaves, crushed red pepper and white pepper. (Add also salt if needed). Cook for another 5 minutes at 100°C on Speed 2

Afiyet olsun aka Buon appetito  :)

Photos: Photo is here: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.com/2010/04/elvan-kz-corbas.html

Members' comments
JD - I didn't have everything the recipe called for.  Would have cut down on the spices anyway.  I made a few changes and just threw all the vegies into TM bowl and chopped 3 sec/speed 8. Added 70g lentils (all I had), 1 litre water, 1 tblspn veg stock concentrate, 2 fresh bay leaves, 1/2 tspn sambal oelek, 1 teaspn freshly sliced mint.  Cooked it for 30 minutes and thickened with 1 heaped dessertspoon of potato flour mixed with a little water and cooked it a further 5 minutes. Added S & P to taste and although it probably doesn't taste the same as farfallinas, we enjoyed it. 

Moo2 - Made this exactly as stated and it was really nice. Will certainly be making it again. Thanks for such a tasty recipe farfallina.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Elvan Girl Soup
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:02:49 pm »
Sounds yummy. Thanks farfallina  :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:32 pm »
Thanks for that farfallina. The soup weather is upon us once again and I like to try anything different. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 04:10:47 am »
thank you farfallina, looks like an awesome soup. Is that juice of half a lemon?
crushed red pepper - is that cayenne pepper?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:20:36 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:11:03 am »

Yes CreamPuff63, it's juice of half a lemon
Crushed hot pepper is red pepper flakes. Also cayenne should work fine I believe.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Elvan Girl Soup (with photo)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:15 am »
red pepper flakes - that must mean chilli?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:54 am »
I made this for tea and didn't have everything the recipe called for.  Would have cut down on the spices anyway.  I made a few changes and just threw all the vegies into TM bowl and chopped 3 sec/speed 8. Added 70g lentils (all I had), 1 litre water, 1 tblspn veg stock concentrate, 2 fresh bay leaves, 1/2 tspn sambal oelek, 1 teaspn freshly sliced mint.  Cooked it for 30 minutes and thickened with 1 heaped dessertspoon of potato flour mixed with a little water and cooked it a further 5 minutes. Added S & P to taste and although it probably doesn't taste the same as farfallinas, we enjoyed it. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »

@CreamPuff63; Yes, chilli. I write down the long way because the concept of one ingredient might change from one country to another sometimes. To make sure, you can see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crushed_red_pepper

@judydawn; I am happy you liked it and I am sure it tasted great also the way you made it. You can always adjust spices as you wish. This one is a bit spicy and hot the way it is.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:17 am »
I love the different types of Turkish inspired dishes that you are posting.  Thanks.  A real education.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline SydneyMama

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:45:37 am »
Hello Farfallina thank you for this recipe I am going to try it this weekend. I love Turkish food, I have quite a few relatives in Antalya, Turkey!
My favourite Turkish soup is a yoghurt soup I think it is called Yayla. Do you know this one? Have you ever made it in your TMX? If so, I'd love to see the recipe. I miss this soup so much!!
Thank you,
Carolyn

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:21:06 am »

Hi Carolyn,
I am from Istanbul, but I've been to Antalya for summer holiday once. It's a wonderful city. The weather is warm the most of time of the year. I hope your relatives doing well there.
Yayla soup? Yes I did indeed. It's one of my favourite soups too. I post it in the forum asap  :)

Offline KLC79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 03:25:25 pm »
Hmmm this one sounds great. You certainly are a busy lady aren't you! Thanks.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »

Yes, recently I've been quite busy wit posting recipes to the forum :)  ;)

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:30 am »
Made this tonight exactly as stated and it was really nice. Will certainly be making it again. Thanks for such a tasty recipe farfallina.