Author Topic: Bacon, Leek and Tomato Risotto - cookie1  (Read 45968 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Bacon, Leek and Tomato Risotto - cookie1
« on: September 23, 2009, 02:41:02 am »

I made Bacon, leek and tomato risotto. I only made enough for the 3 of us, although it may feed 4 small eaters. (we're hungry folks).

Bacon, Leek and Tomato Risotto

3 cups water
3 good teaspoons vegie stock (you may wish to adjust this-depending on the amount of salt you use in your vegie stock)
3 rashers of bacon
1 leek
1 clove garlic
200g arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine (I used verjuice)
125g small cherry tomatoes, halved
45g olive
1/4 cup parmesan

Grate the parmesan for 3 seconds on speed 9.
Place garlic clove into TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 7
Chop white part of leek and place in the bowl with the garlic and sliced bacon and oil. 2 minutes, 100o speed 1.
Add rice and wine. Cook 2 minutes at 100o reverse speed soft.
Add stock and water, cook for 7 minutes 100oReverse, speed soft.
Add the halved tomatoes and cook a further 10 minutes as above. Place in thermoserver, stir through the parmesan and let sit for 5 minutes.

members' comments

cathy79 - This is my favourite!  Normally with spring onions and normal tomatoes, yumm.

Chelsea - it was very nice.  I chopped the bacon in the TMX and overdid it (of course) but the flavour was there!  I threw a handful of sliced mushrooms in at the end and my DH said that it was the best mushroom risotto I have ever made.  ;)

tanyang - It was really tasty, even my 'risotto-hating-husband' enjoyed it and after commenting that it's not bad, requested the left overs for lunch.

O4aTimtam - loved the flavours, but found it a bit "wet", despite a 5 minute rest in the thermoserve.  Will try again and reduce the liquid.

MJ - If it was too wet, then, yes, remove the MC next time.

Souliyou - This dish was absolutely delicious! My husband commented and said that it was the BEST rice dish he had ever tasted and  with Thermy's help I made it.

maddy - Thumbs up Cookie.
I did add 2 garlic cloves, extra cherry tomatoes, and whilst the the rice was cooking....I added the Italian pork meatballs to the varoma (just split 500g Italian pork sausage casings, scraped out the meat and rolled into small meatballs) to start steaming.

When risotto was finished, I added extra cherry toms. and the parmesan into thermoserve, along with extra rice that I had cooked in the microwave (hubby eats sooooo much, so I had to pad it out)

Whilst risotto was resting in thermoserve, I added 500g boiled water to the jug and steamed the meatballs a further 6 mins, varoma temp, speed 4.

I think this dish is like baf65's......you can make many variables.

I have also made a salami/tomato version of Cookies risotto ......was delish! Recipe on page 2 of this thread. I followed the procedure as cookie instructed and just added the salami and tomato for the last 10 minutes of cooking.

theweewelshone - I made Leek, Bacon and Corn Risotto - recipe on page 2 of this thread.

Hally - Made this for later. I read one comment that there was a lot of liquid. I followed recipe apart from tomatoes where  added a few mushrooms and asparagus to the risotto in the last 10 mins. The flavour is great, I too have a lot of liquid which today when I reheat over the stove I think the risotto would be perfect. Update - Just heated it up on the stove, needed to add a little water.
Hally has tweaked the recipe, see it on Page 3.

LellyJ - I made it in my first days of of tmx ownership with stock paste made according to EDC directions and found it too salty, but now use a lot less salt in my stock paste as per various forum threads and tonight it was perfect!!  I chopped the leek with the garlic and then quartered the bacon and chucked it in Clancy and gave it an extra second of chopping.  I also used 230g of rice as per Hally's suggestion and the consistency was excellent.  I cooked the risotto for 17 minutes after adding the rice, then stirred the parmesan and some frozen peas through, as my son isn't really keen on tomatoes, and let it sit in thermomix for a while.  The result was probably one of the best risottos I've cooked in tmx and was easier than going out for takeaway.  

super-j1978 - AHH!! Saltiness for me too. Should have read further comments. However, apart from that it was DELISH!!! Will adjust the veg stock paste qty to 1 tsp for future. Thanks for such a quick & easy recipe for a lazy Friday night!

spektor - I made this using Maddy's salami and tomato pesto version. I added some paprika and chilli flakes. Such good comfort food. Yum!

Churchill - I made this and just added some chicken tenderloins. My hubby and I both loved this and will be adding to our favorites. My hubby is very fussy with the risottos and I have struggled to find one he likes, so I'm very happy.

runnybabbit - it was lovely. I made the leftovers into arancini balls with wheatgerm and my VERY finicky one-year-old couldn't get enough! Thank you!

Grubbybub - I made this for lunch. Delicious! Wouldn't change a thing!  

Amy - it was absolutely delicious and we all loved it.
A couple of tweaks I made:
I rinsed the bacon in boiling water to remove some of the salt after reading some comments of previous members finding it a bit salty. I sauteed the leek, bacon and garlic for a bit longer than stated and I also added mushrooms, peas and a few extra tomatoes. It was quite soupy when it finished cooking, but I let it stand 10-15 minutes and then it was perfect. Thank you so much for this recipe.

therunner - It was delicious and very easy. It will definitely be on my meal rotations. Thanks!
Tweaks I used:
- Added a red chilli (deseeded) for a bit of heat
- I used 2 1/2 cups water instead of 3 because I find that, for some reason, my risotto always ends up too soupy.
- No wine used.

SuzieG - only tweak was reducing water to 2.5 cups. It is a beautiful recipe and everyone in the family including DD's who are 6 and 9 had seconds. Lovely will definitely make again.

anneaussie - My husband and I really loved this risotto.  I read all the reviews and made some changes accordingly.  I increased the rice to 230 grams.  I used spring onions instead of leek.  I chopped the bacon and the spring onions in the bowl and they looked fine.  When it finished it looked really soupy so I put it on for 5 more minutes.  Then when I poured it into the thermoserver I could see that it was a lot thicker on the bottom so maybe it did not need the extra five minutes but a good stir!  Anyway, it did turn out perfect once I stirred in the parmesan so I am altering my copy of the recipe to include the extra five minutes.

It was so, so delicious and will be a regular meal for us.  Thank you Cookie1 and all the reviewers.

CC - Thank you Cookie, it's a delicious recipe. I followed the reviews, used 230g of rice, two teaspoons of veggie stock paste, cooked the risotto with the MC off at counterclock speed 1 and let it rest for five minutes. Perfect.

mab19 - It was delicious.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:43:54 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Bacon, Leek and Tomato Risotto - cookie1
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:48:46 am »
This is my favourite!  Normally with spring onions and normal tomatoes, yumm.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:30 am »
Does it work to chop the leek in the TM or is it better chopped by hand?
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:00:22 am »
Think that it would give a better result visually chopped by hand - but it will certainly chop if sliced into chunks.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:52 am »
From memory I think I chopped it by hand.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:02 am »
I chopped in the bowl which works, but not the same visual effect as nice slices.  Not that leek really shows up in risotto anyway.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:12:05 am »
Certainly depends on whether it's for me or to impress friends as to which way I would go - looks the same after a few chews.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:59 am »
We had this tonight. Was EXTREMELY salty  :-\ A combination of the bacon, parmesan and TMX stock paste I guess. I will make it again, but next time I will greatly reduce the stock since that's the easiest bit to NOT miss, I reckon.

I found the consistency quite wet and I'm starting to wonder if my idea of risotto is different to everyone else's. The pumpkin risotto served up on the first season of Aus Masterchef looked REALLY wet to me, just like this. Is it me with the crazy ideas?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 11:59:30 am »
I think you should adjust it to what suits you and your family.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 03:15:15 am »
You're right Cookie.  Everyone has different tastes, particularly when it comes to salt.  Personally I just love it!!!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:16 am »
We had this tonight for dinner and it was very nice.  I chopped the bacon in the TMX and overdid it (of course) but the flavour was there!  I threw a handful of sliced mushrooms in at the end and my DH said that it was the best mushroom risotto I have ever made  ;).

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:16:20 pm »
This is still a favourite.  I added mushrooms at the beginning, but it went an unappetising grey colour.  Still tastes great, but colours not too hot.  And I've noticed that my 4.5 year old takes a lot of notice of how nice something looks so won't be doing that again.

Offline tanyag

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »
I made this for dinner last night.  It was really tasty, even my 'risotto-hating-husband' enjoyed it and after commenting that it's not bad, requested the left overs for lunch.   ;)

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »
I made this one this evening, loved the flavours, but found it a bit "wet", despite a 5 minute rest in the thermoserve.  Will try again and reduce the liquid.  If I wasn't still on L plates (and so hungry!), I probably would have cooked it a little longer to reduce some liquid.  Have just thought, I left the MC in, should I have left it off so there was more evaporation? 
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »
If it was too wet, then, yes, remove the MC next time.

Sounds delish. My DH hates risotto, but I might just try him on this one. Thanks!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand