Author Topic: Beetroot salad from EDC  (Read 74093 times)

mcmich

Beetroot salad from EDC
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
Made this salad today. Very yummy. Made loads.
An alternative to coleslaw.

Members' comments
McMich - Very yummy. Made loads. An alternative to coleslaw.

Cookie1 - It is lovely isn't it. I sometimes feel we overlook this tasty morsel.

Amy - Always used to reduce the amount of onion though. I found it a bit overpowering.

Curly66 - I love beetroot but never thought I would EVER eat raw beetroot until I had this salad at a demo.. absolutely delicious.

Kimmyh - Love this fresh tasting salad with crumbled feta on top. This is a regular in our house too. My boys love it with the feta sprinkled over the top. I don't always use mint but always include the coriander.

Frozzie - I hadn't actually made this before I went to a demonstration as an extra person needed lol as it hadn't appealed to me but it was quite nice and think it would be even better with some fresh goats cheese crumbled on top however there are some great health benefits from eating this salad.  The next day after the demo I came home and made a double batch with a friend and ate most of it over a couple of days.  I had been feeling rather unwell for some time and it didn't click why I was feeling much better for no real reason until I looked up the benefits of raw beetroot..its one powerful raw veg... I used mint and also didn't have the dressing just the carrot, beetroot, apple and onion and mint...
Some but not all of the vitamins and minerals in beetroot are Potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine; folic acid.  Beets also contain betaine, the same substance that is used in certain treatments of depression. It also contains trytophan, which relaxes the mind and creates a sense of well-being, similar to chocolate. Beets can also lower your blood pressure.  They are great for energy levels too.
I ate a whole lot before my blood tests and have felt better ever since so am now going to make this on a semi regular basis..who needs a doctor if your eating the right kinds of foods.

Cecilia - This is a great dish and always popular.  Do you include the coriander?  Some people whinge about that at the demos but that is generally before they taste.  It makes such a lot.  After using as a salad, I whip some of the leftovers up with a packet of cream cheese to make a delicious dip and/or use leftover beetroot salad with vege stock concentrate and water added as a quick and easy borscht.

Tam -  It really is delicious.  I must say though, I don't like it nearly as much without mint added.  A work of warning, be REALLY careful when blitzing this salad as lovely little chunks of beetroot turn into mush really quickly.  I cut the carrot up in small chunks and try to blitz once first as I always seem to have big chunks turn up in the bowl.

consumerate - I made this today. Omitted the onion and coriander because I want to keep it in the fridge for a few days. Really impressed with the flavour and will definitely make in the future.

Katj - I always add approximately a 2cm piece of fresh ginger also. It adds an extra depth of flavour.

Aimee -  It was my staple work lunch alternating with feta or a tin of tuna.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:19:42 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Beetroot salad from EDC
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:09:05 am »
It is lovely isn't it. I sometimes feel we overlook this tasty morsel.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »
I used to love this with steak and homemade chips ;D

Back when I ate chips. And steak, for that matter...

Always used to reduce the amount of onion though. I found it a bit overpowering.

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:45:02 am »
Made this salad to take along to 60th lunch - great hit as always!

Sylvia
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:20:45 am »
I love beetroot but never thought I would EVER eat raw beetroot until I had this salad at a demo.. absolutely delicious and I have all the ingredients in the fridge to make this weekend..

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:28 pm »
I had this at my demo and it was nice. I wonder how it would go with whole baby beets from a can which I assume would be cooked? It might be sweeter but perhaps a bit mushy?

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »
I definitely wouldn't use canned beetroots Thermo Mrs. You would end up with a beetroot paste :-X

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »
Yeah I think you're right, it wouldnt be very appetising to have a beetroot paste salad  :D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:54 am »
Love this fresh tasting salad with crumbled feta on top.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:35:23 am »
Beetroot and Feta are a match made in heaven.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:07 am »
I hadnt actually made this before I went to a demonstration as an extra person needed lol as it hadnt appealed to me but it was quite nice and think it would be even better with some fresh goats cheese crumbled on top however there are some great health benefits from eating this salad.  the next day after the demo I came home and made a double batch with a friend and ate most of it over a couple of days.  I had been feeling rather unwell for some time and it didnt click why I was feeling much better for no real reason until I looked up the benefits of raw beetroot..its one powerful raw veg...

Some but not all of the vitamins and minerals in beetroot are Potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine; folic acid.  Beets also contain betaine, the same substance that is used in certain treatments of depression. It also contains trytophan, which relaxes the mind and creates a sense of well-being, similar to chocolate. Beets can also lower your blood pressure.  They are great for energy levels too.

I ate a whole lot before my blood tests and have felt better ever since so am now going to make this on a semi regular basis..who needs a doctor if your eating the right kinds of foods.

Im bumping this as especially in winter months Im sure this can help especially when it helps your general wellbeing.
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:35 am »
Thank you, Frozzie.  This is a great dish and always popular.  Do you include the coriander?  Some people whinge about that at the demos but that is generally before they taste.  It makes such a lot.  After using as a salad, I whip some of the leftovers up with a packet of cream cheese to make a delicious dip and/or use leftover beetroot salad with vege stock concentrate and water added as a quick and easy borscht. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:51 am »
Great outcome for you Kim, the fact that something good for you tastes good is a bonus  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:51:33 am »
sorry forgot to say i used mint and also didnt have the dressing just the carrot, beetroot, apple and onion and mint...

not sure if thats what it was that made me feel better but nothing else makes sense..either that or ive gone mad lol  will certainly be making more and was very surprised of the number of benefits of beetroot..  I was also taking vitamins but on their own werent doing much..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:44 pm »
Thought I'd bump this for those who haven't tried it yet. We eat this salad on a regular basis. DD 7 and DD4 love it (I call it Princess salad) ;D  It really is delicious.  I must say though, I don't like it nearly as much without mint added.  A work of warning, be REALLY careful when blitzing this salad as lovely little chunks of beetroot turn into mush really quickly.  I cut the carrot up in small chunks and try to blitz once first as I always seem to have big chunks turn up in the bowl ??? ???