Author Topic: Hi from Cape Town  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Nicole Brown

• View Profile
Hi from Cape Town
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:26:10 am »
I am new to the Thermomix and have only had it a month, my children laugh and say each time I use "That was the most expensive cake(Jam,bread) you ever made .

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Cape Town
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:38:18 am »
Welcome Nicole!
You will have to tell your kids that every cake you make becomes cheaper and cheaper!!  Soon they will be free!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:05:35 pm »
welcome nicole!!!!

a few months ago i worked out how much my thermomix had cost per use (i use mine 3-5 times a day) and it was about 26c i think LOL

when you look at it that way it's worth every cent of $2K
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:12:44 pm »
Welcome Nicole, prior to us buying our machine I calculated cost of ownership to about 35c a day based on it lasting 15 years of use.

I recently paid $1700 for a camera whcih realistically I will only get 2 years (3 at the outside) use out of given how swiftly technology is advancing.

While I love my new camera and it is giving me wonderful results (well I have yet to put any up for judging, so maybe the resutls could be said to still be unproven) , I know which device will bring benefits to more of the family.

Karen

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:22:14 pm »
yes, it's interesting that people will happily spend $800 i think on a kitchen aid and yet i would imagine most people would only use that a few times a week (unless baking bread every day)...

or however much on a plasma tv  :D i spose plasmas get used a lot, but not the same benefits ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
I have to agree here as well!!
My TMX is only a week old but when I remembered my espresso machine was $1800 nearly 7yrs ago and it only does one thing - make coffee.. it puts it all into perspective very quickly! :D

And yes, I do still use my coffee machine at least 3 times a day - more if I have visitors! LOL

Welcome to the TMX world.. enjoy!!  8)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:06:05 pm »
Welcome Nicole, prior to us buying our machine I calculated cost of ownership to about 35c a day based on it lasting 15 years of use.

I recently paid $1700 for a camera whcih realistically I will only get 2 years (3 at the outside) use out of given how swiftly technology is advancing.

While I love my new camera and it is giving me wonderful results (well I have yet to put any up for judging, so maybe the resutls could be said to still be unproven) , I know which device will bring benefits to more of the family.

Karen

I can't believe I didn't think of this before Karen!!!!!  Thank you, thank you.  Twenty years in sales have obviously been forgotten with my "rest" from the workforce!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 03:17:21 pm »
Welcome Nicole - it will be worth it -fear not.

Karen (sianon0 - your into cameras as well as cooking and ebooks - madder than me  :o :o

JZ - problems with getting old ??  Unfortunately, in the 15+ years you still haven't caught up to me  :-)) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:28:15 pm »
Welcome Nicole - it will be worth it -fear not.

Karen (sianon0 - your into cameras as well as cooking and ebooks - madder than me  :o :o

Madder still if you consider that I am about to launch into some post graduate studies :)   Then again,my E-ink devices can provide me with lots of fiction reading, plus photography books, plus recipie books and may provide a platform for reading the required texts as I launch into further education in a couple of weeks time :)

I surely have to be mad to take so much on

Karen

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:31:52 pm »

Madder still if you consider that I am about to launch into some post graduate studies :)   

That confirms it - you win  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:16:06 pm »
Hi Nicole,
So glad you decided to join the community - expected to see you today but I will be in my office tomorrow too!
I am planning to make a rhubarb ice-cream tomorrow as rhubarb is plentiful at the moment, I will pos the recipe.
See you soon.
Shayla

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:38:37 am »
Welcome Nicole,

I know you will have the last laugh - My daughters love their "machines".  You wait in time they will also want one!!!

Trudy

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 03:48:17 am »
Quote from: Thermomixer

JZ - problems with getting old ??  Unfortunately, in the 15+ years you still haven't caught up to me  :-)) :-))

& I'll never be as smart as you either Thermomixer - some races you just can't win....... ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:22:51 am by Thermomixer »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »
I somehow missed this one.  Welcome to the forum Nicole - hope you have fun with us and that your children get to share the cooking duties with you.  I call mine Rowdy and my DD calls hers The Machine.  However, 4 yr old grand-daughter has decided they are going to call theirs Rowdy too because that is what Grandma calls it. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.