Author Topic: New low carb cookbook book from Alyce Alexandra  (Read 11459 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: New low carb cookbook book from Alyce Alexandra
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 06:20:31 am »
Just ordered . . . :D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:50 am »
So many of those recipes look great! :D

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
    • alyce alexandra cookbooks
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:24:24 am »
Just letting everyone know that the books have arrived and all orders are being shipped out today! Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the book. Thanks so much for all your great support.
Alyce 

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:32 am »
Fantastic :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:41 am »
Thanks Alyce! 

mcmich

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 04:53:19 am »
Yah   :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 06:10:58 am »
I'm getting one delivered from a forum friend for Christmas,  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »
Luck you Judy  :)

Offline Persistenttiger

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 01:21:21 am »
Ooh, looks interesting!

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:45 am »
I've ordered two a few days ago for myself and DD.  Can't wait for them to arrive.

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:20 am »
I can't wait!  The recipe list looks amazing. I love that it's a healthy book too, just what I need after the Xmas indulgences.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 06:07:21 am »
I can’t believe this book has been out for 7 years and I’m only now looking at it  :o

I made the ‘Chicken Puttanesca’ recipe today.  The plan was to make the full amount of sauce (4 serves) but only make half the chicken to serve me for 2 meals.  I ended up slicing one medium breast in half horizontally and used one half for each serve.  Supposed to be 460 cals/serve but that would be reduced with only having half a breast.

After making the sauce, I weighed it and divided into 2 equal lots.  I froze one lot after cooling so I can make this delicious meal again with me only having to buy 1 breast again for 2 serves.   

Yes I did cook the onions on High Heat first then carried on with the recipe.  I will do this now whenever onions are to be cooked before continuing on with a recipe.  The added flavour really makes such a difference to me, there’s no comparison).

Back to the recipe.  I only had 65g of olives instead of 100g but I found that to be perfect for me. I also added 1 tsp raw sugar which I always do when cooking with tomatoes.

At the end of cooking, the sauce was reduced just right and was so full of flavour.  I think it would be perfect with pasta or anytime you’d like a tasty sauce.

There’s only 30g of cheese on top of each fillet but for some reason it seemed more.  The chicken with sauce & cheese was cooked in an air fryer which didn’t take long being sliced in half.

I must say I’m looking forward to having this again tomorrow and it’s great to know the sauce is already made for the next time I want to make it. 

I will be trying other recipes now from this book.  I see there’s a slow cooking one (lamb ragu) which takes 2 hours I think, so will wait until I get the blade cover before I try that.

I added 2 photos so you can see from the top as well. 

Please tap on photos to enlarge.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 06:18:39 am »
These are so quick and easy to make that I had to try them.  They are called Coconut & lemon macaroons.  Two of the ingredients are zest & juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of stevia for sweetness.  I weighed my lemon juice which was 50g but this was far too much and overpowered the little treats.  Would cut back a lot.  I wish it was noted an amount of juice to use as a lemon can be so many sizes and I was unfortunate that mine must have been too big or loaded with juice. 

The pinch of stevia wasn't enough to combat that either so I had to add a bit more but still couldn't achieve that balance of tart and sweet.  Certainly I can tweak the recipe for next time now that I've made them. 

I used a medium ice cream scoop and I got 12 as stated.  I was a bit let down with this recipe but I will update with quantities used if I'm more successful next time.  :)

Please tap on photo to enlarge.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 11:01:10 am »
I’ve had that book for years too Julie, I would have looked at the recipes but never did anything from the book.  I brought it out again once I started Keto but there are only a few things I could make as the carbs are a little high in most of the recipes.  The Puttanesca you made looks lovely and I could make that by leaving out the olives (I don’t eat them anyway) and using a couple of large spring onions instead of the brown onion.  The size of the chicken fillet makes no difference to the carbs but half like you used would be plenty for me, I cannot eat a full one these days.  Will keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review.

You are right re the lemon, they come in all sizes and some are juicier than others so it would be nice if they had a weight for the juice and zest.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 03:38:58 pm »
Your food looks delicious Julie 😋 Thanks for trying these recipes,
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.