Author Topic: Steamed Ginger Chicken with Garlic Rice & Vegetable Soup.  (Read 17646 times)

Offline jflim

• View Profile
Steamed Ginger Chicken with Garlic Rice & Vegetable Soup.
« on: October 28, 2010, 03:14:11 pm »
Name of Recipe: Steamed Ginger Chicken with Garlic Rice & Vegetable Soup.
Number of People: 3-4

Ingredients:

A : Chicken breast fillet 1-2 pieces
     Fresh ginger - thinly sliced (I used ready to use from the bottle today)
     Chopped garlic (optional)
     Light Soya sauce or Salt
     Teelseed oil
     Pepper

B : Chinese White Cabbage - separate the hard stems from the soft leaves.
     Goji beans - slightly more than a teaspoonful
     Three lightly smashed garlic cloves
     One tomato - quartered
     Two small onions - whole
     Ginger - Small bit (optional)

Preparation:

A : Mix ginger, salt/soya sauce, pepper, teelseed oil, chopped garlic in steaming dish.
     Marinade chicken fillets in mixed ingredients.
     Set aside and prepare for garlic rice recipe.

B : When garlic rice is ready and transferred, leave the remaining rice water in the TM bowl.
     Add all ingredients except chinese cabbage leaves into the TM bowl.
     Now add water up 1.5L level.
     Set to boil for 18mins, Varoma, Speed 2-3 and don't forget  :-:
     Add leaves after 6 mins.
     Place A on top to steam.
     When done, add salt & pepper to soup according to your liking.
     Check chicken to see it is tender and properly cooked.
     Garnish necessarily and serve. :)

** Note:  Garlic rice I used Bron's recipe at http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=655.0

Tips/Hints:
Once again, you can use different vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, beans, etc.

One set meal, best while it's still hot. :)

A full time nanny who prefers cooking from scratch, usually cooks with whatever's within reach, bad at measurements but good at fixing & trying to manage 3 blogs when time permits ;) Do drop in when you can...... :)
http://www.blogger.com/profile/15640963317739722936

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Steamed Ginger Chicken with Garlic Rice & Vegetable Soup.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »
What a lovely recipe for a complete meal.It has all the flavours that we love in this household. :) Thanks JFLim.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:40:46 pm »
JFLim,  thanks for this easy and tasty recipe.   The photos look great.  What is Teelseed oil?

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:25:53 am »
JFLim,  thanks for this easy and tasty recipe.   The photos look great.  What is Teelseed oil?

It's my pleasure to share these recipes. Will be doing a pinched flat noodle soup today. Will post it later when I get the measurements right. I have a tendency to just add whatever is at hand without thinking so now I have to think carefully when sharing!  :D

Achookwoman - Teelseed oil is actually sesame seed oil. We have this famous brand made in Penang by Ghee Hiang company where the oil is a little dark and the aroma is lovely. However, be careful with the amount used as too much may be overpowering.

This recipe is similar to preparing homemade chicken rice. You marinade the chicken as above or more and later scoop its steamed light gravy and mix with some onion oil, sesame seed oil, light soya sauce and pepper to taste then pour over the chicken! Onion oil is the oil you save after frying sliced shallots. We love fried shallots in our soups and rice so we tend to fry a lot and save the oil for using in cooking.
The rice we usually dry fry in a wok first then add pre sauteed sliced shallots and garlic fried in bit of oil & a touch of sesame oil and a few ginger slices before cooking. I have still not mastered the skill to cook lovely rice in the TMix as different types of rice are quite finicky with their water. So I rather do the usual way  ;)
 See....another recipe!  :D

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:24:45 am by JFLim »
A full time nanny who prefers cooking from scratch, usually cooks with whatever's within reach, bad at measurements but good at fixing & trying to manage 3 blogs when time permits ;) Do drop in when you can...... :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:08 am »
My DD will love this.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 02:03:04 am »
very healthy, love it.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:11:48 am »
Thank you jflim for such a lovely recipe.

My consultant cooked this for us last night to show us that the thermomix was capable of cooking authentic Chinese dishes. Need I say my friend has now bought one and will be having his delivery demo at the end of the month.

It's such a pity there isn't more variety in the varoma demo and that the consultants have to stick to what seems to be set in stone. Luckily, my consultant will show us new dishes all the time, but we have to sit through a proper demo first just to keep head office happy.

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:44:33 pm »
Thank you jflim for such a lovely recipe.

My consultant cooked this for us last night to show us that the thermomix was capable of cooking authentic Chinese dishes. Need I say my friend has now bought one and will be having his delivery demo at the end of the month.

It's such a pity there isn't more variety in the varoma demo and that the consultants have to stick to what seems to be set in stone. Luckily, my consultant will show us new dishes all the time, but we have to sit through a proper demo first just to keep head office happy.

Dear thermoheaven,

I'm feeling rather chuffed your consultant used my recipe. I hope you all enjoyed it.
Was going to post another home made noodle recipe but been down with food poisoning. Hopefully by tomorrow evening.
I added another pic of similar method with different ingredients to steamed eggs with leeks. Check it out.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4707.0

:)

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:58:21 am »
Are goji beans the same as goji berries? I don't have anything this exotic in my pantry, but will try to find some today!

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:24:50 am »
Are goji beans the same as goji berries? I don't have anything this exotic in my pantry, but will try to find some today!

Hi Pinkscrapbooker,

Yes i think they are. I think I did include a picture... :)

Offline kamian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 03:18:03 am »
This is such a lovely recipe! One of my first all-in-ones since getting my thermomixer a couple of weeks ago and it's a massive hit. This evening I changed up the rice a bit and made coconut rice and I added a little fire to the soup with 2/3 of a red hot chili pepper. nom nom nom. What a success!
 :D

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »
Dear Kamian,

So glad you like this recipe. Your rice sounds incredibly yummy! :)

Offline jflim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »
Another note I'd like to add is.... you may use fish instead of chicken as well. Add some sliced tomatoes to give it a different taste.
Enjoy :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 08:33:04 am »

just to confirm they are the berries...based on the photo but dont know about where you are but over here they are quite expensive ie 18 euros a packet  :-))  so dont know if you could use cranberries instead as another option...i know in other recipes they do sometimes use them as another option...
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/