Author Topic: Presto Pressure Cookers  (Read 37132 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Presto Pressure Cookers
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:36:45 am »
Hi, has anyone used Presto pressure cookers?  It is an American brand and my cousin from the USA raves about it and says it is a good brand for the price. At the moment, I can access it only on ebay.. still trying to find stockist but wanted the forum's opinion about it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Presto Pressure Cookers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:10:54 am »
Sorry can't help. I'm a big chicken when it comes to pressure cookers. At least it's one thing I won't want in the kitchen. :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:27:17 am »
I've owned several Presto pressure cookers.  They are a good, inexpensive work horse pressure cookers.  They are available in both cast aluminum and stainless steel.  The latter are more expensive.

Presto's site has good advice.   

That being said, there are some new technologies in pressure cooking.  I have two Fagor Pressure cookers  a 6 quart and a 10 quart that for me are easier to use than the Presto.

I've also got a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker which I rate as "okay" but not superior to the stove top models.  (It was a gift!).

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:29 am »
Thank you for your advice. I am buying it for my mum  who is 82. Which, in you opinion, is easier to use? She is technophobe... it has to be really simple, easy to use and preferably not too heavy.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:48 am »
I have seen Presto in BIG W i think.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:00:44 am »
I have the fagor and just love it

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:54:20 am »
Thank you ...will go and do a touch and feel at big W

Bonsai

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »
The hip pressure cooking blog is an excellent site for reviews of pressure cookers, advice about equipment to use in them and lots of yummy recipes - worth a look.

I've used them for years and never had problems - the new ones won't fizz and gush steam the way the old ones did  and are a really quick way to cook tougher cuts of meat to melting yumminess and cook beans fast (among other things). Great for big lots of stock too, or turning mysterious bits of freezer burned meat into pet food. ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:06:22 pm »
Sorry can't help. I'm a big chicken when it comes to pressure cookers. At least it's one thing I won't want in the kitchen. :)

Same here cookie  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline chdv

• View Profile
    • Aussie in a Swiss kitchen
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:32:08 pm »
Bonsai, thanks for posting the hip pressure cooking link. I recently bought a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker and it's still in it's box unopened and in the cellar. The Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker got a good review, when I get back from vacation I'm going to start using it! It was one of those buys that was not totally planned, I had just been reading Hester Blumenthal's book (he is a big fan of pressure cookers for sauces), and Migros's were offering 50% off KR pressure cookers. I couldn't resist the bargain.
Cheryl

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »
Thank you for your advice. I am buying it for my mum  who is 82. Which, in you opinion, is easier to use? She is technophobe... it has to be really simple, easy to use and preferably not too heavy.

The Fagor and the Kuhn Rikon duromatic are much less  tricky to use than the Presto.   It is important to read and follow the directions exactly -  especially important is lowering the temp  and keeping it low after it has reached the venting stage.
If someone is forgetful, do not use a pressure cooker - if not tended correctly they can explode!

I rely on loud and long-ring timers or wear  one that hangs around my neck on a cord in case I get distracted by another task.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:22:43 pm »
Great advice Andiesenji and Bonsai.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:46:19 pm »
Bonsai, thanks for posting the hip pressure cooking link. I recently bought a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker and it's still in it's box unopened and in the cellar. The Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker got a good review, when I get back from vacation I'm going to start using it! It was one of those buys that was not totally planned, I had just been reading Hester Blumenthal's book (he is a big fan of pressure cookers for sauces), and Migros's were offering 50% off KR pressure cookers. I couldn't resist the bargain.

Can I ask you which book has the sauces made in the pressure cooker (Hester B) please as I love using mine. (Fagor)  :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06:17 am »
I'm considering buying a new pressure cooker. I have been using my mother's 1970"s vintage french pressure cooker, but the handle on the top has broken and it is getting increasingly harder to remove the lid once the food is cooked. I made a beef curry last night - I made the curry paste in the Thermo Chef and then cooked the curry in the pressure cooker. It was really tender, but it took me about 5 min of wiggling the lid before i could persuade it to open. It could be as simple as a new seal and handle, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle.
I have a voucher for the General Trader which I could use to buy the New Wave 5 in one multicooker, which has a pressure cooker as one of it's features. Has anyone tried this appliance?
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:22 am »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian