Author Topic: Costco Information  (Read 15593 times)

mcmich

Re: Costco Information
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »
I wish we got coupons - love the show extreme couponing - I could do that.

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:15 pm »
Yeah I don't really understand it - I don't get how people work out carts full of shopping and end up paying either a tin amount or sometimes even end up with the store owing them money. huh  ???
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:41 pm »
There are five women here in Lancaster who do the extreme coupon thing.  There are many people who donate coupons to them as they are not buying for themselves but for the local food bank because donations have gone down so much since the depression hit in 2009.
They go once a month, armed with hundreds of coupons, many printed in the Sunday newspapers but also many that are available online to be printed by the customer.

Two of them have been on TV demonstrating how they do it.  Three of them have small children and don't work but two are single, working ladies who believe strongly in making sure that hungry families get enough to eat.  They are like the crusaders of long ago, just not doing it for religious reasons - in fact, one is a Wicca.

I save the weekly coupon booklets that come in the mail (RedPlum) for them.  Their top record was buying  $1350.00 worth of groceries, household cleaners, toilet tissue & etc., with a total cash outlay of less than $20.00.
They used regular "cents-off" coupons, shopped at a supermarket that offers "double coupon savings" on a certain day and used free offers and cash rebates mailed to them from earlier purchases (also at discounts).
This does take a lot of time and effort and there are very few people who are willing (or able) to do it but I approve when it is done for charity as they do it.
I don't approve of it when it is done by hoarders - and we had one in my neighborhood who started doing this when it was first publicized some fifteen-twenty years ago.  The problem was she kept buying and buying and didn't want to use up any of the stuff she had bought.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 08:23:11 pm »
What an amazing story Andie about these women who put their time and energy into making sure families eat well.Very inspirational to read. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

mcmich

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:11 pm »
Most of the people on extreme couponing donate part of their shopping to charity. It takes a lot of time and they have folders to keep the coupons organised. I still would love to give it a go.

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08:27 pm »
Me too Mich!
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 10:21:12 pm »
Mum went out to coscos yesterday with a friend of hers and has also been to one in Hawaii and said that the oz coscos is nowhere near as good discount wise as the US Ones but worthwhile if you know what you want and know your prices.. She bought me 40 thick sorbent rolls for 20 dollars or something and a large Himalayan pink salt for $4 etc so there are great deals
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 07:04:32 am »
We go to the Sydney Costco every 3-4mths, a round trip of approx 250klms. Even with the annual fee it is worth it for us. We stock up on toilet paper, paper towel, tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, foil, cling wrap, laundry powder, bottled water plus more.

We also visit the US stores whenever we are travelling - there we stock up on sunscreen and alcohol.

Yes it is true that the US stores have more range and the prices can be better but that is because the US economy is much more diverse then the Australian one and there is much more competition. 

Years ago when you were visiting the US you could shop for the day without joining however now because there are Australian stores this is no longer possible.
Kylie

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 07:23:22 am »
I was once waiting at the lift at costco with a guy who had a trolley full of bags of flour. Turns out he owns a restaurant, and it's cheaper for him to get flour from Costco rather than his suppliers.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Costco Information
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 12:29:20 pm »
Yes Deedub, I heard a local bakery gets flour from Costco as it is so much cheaper. 12kg was $9.99 last time I went. I bought a bag and a plastic container to store it in and it was still cheaper than buying it at ww.

Flour, quinoa and frozen berries are very cheap. I've also found that they have very good specials, however if an item is not on special, I can usually find it for the same price or cheaper at Coles or WW with the bonus of not having to store a bulk lot.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
Talk about coupons brings me back to the days when I used to sort them all out for my Mum as well as the green shield stamps!! showing my age now!! will be glad when Costco and Aldi come to WA. :)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:10 pm »
I was once waiting at the lift at costco with a guy who had a trolley full of bags of flour. Turns out he owns a restaurant, and it's cheaper for him to get flour from Costco rather than his suppliers.

Almost all of the small cafés and restaurants in my area buy foods at Costco - those with a commercial account get in a couple of hours earlier than regular members.  They can get in and out faster without all the consumer folks wandering around. 
There are several people who sell clothing at a local swap meet every weekend and buy at Costco and sell at a very small markup but have a rapid turnover - they don't do enough business to get significant discounts from regular distributors. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 09:51:36 pm »
Talk about coupons brings me back to the days when I used to sort them all out for my Mum as well as the green shield stamps!! showing my age now!! will be glad when Costco and Aldi come to WA. :)

I remember licking the green stamps too GHM!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 07:36:20 am »
cheaper to buy coke from supermarkets than direct from coke.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 05:55:11 am »
I noticed an enormous warehouse being built near The Spud Shed at Jandakot on the weekend. I hope it is for Costco.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/