Author Topic: Porridge  (Read 56255 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Porridge
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 06:25:13 am »
ILB,  sounds good so will give it a go tomorrow,  thanks.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 07:49:00 am »
Well, it is obvious now that we all do not like the same type of porridge.  The type you like Chelsea is exactly the type I do not like and that was how my Mum used to serve it up.  I like to pour it straight into a bowl, add some sugar and eat it in a runnier form and that was what mine was like this morning.  No extra milk needed.  It has taken me 2 winters to get it how I like it so guess it is up to us all to do our own thing to suit our preferences.  Keep at it, you will get there in the end Chelsea  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:32:20 am »
It may depend a little on the oat type too.  I prefer thick and add some extra some times - often too much extra !
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 02:25:56 pm »
Vaugly recall some discussions (perhaps even in this thread???) about how the rolled oats are cut  ??? and the thickness?

I don't use quick oats, just the Lowan brand in safeway or if I'm in the healthfood shop I'll grab some from there too.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 02:14:19 am »
Made ILB recipe,  perfect.   Just as I like it,  thick.   No probs.  with sticking to bowl,  cooked on 3 and soaked bowl straight away.  Used organic rolled oats .  Thanks  ILB.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 04:49:20 am »
I think the oats do make a difference Thermomixer and also whether or not they are soaked.  I am trying to find a method for 150g of soaked steel cut organic oats, so recipes are needing quite a bit of modifying.  I am determined to win and in the meantime the chooks are eating well from my experimenting!!!  ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 11:35:27 am »
Made ILB recipe,  perfect.   Just as I like it,  thick.   No probs.  with sticking to bowl,  cooked on 3 and soaked bowl straight away.  Used organic rolled oats .  Thanks  ILB.

Glad to hear Chookie  :-* Porridge is such a difficult thing due to everyones preferances
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Ostara

• View Profile
    • Thermocauldron
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 03:10:08 pm »
How did it go with the steel cut oats? That's our preference and I am hoping to find a place to start when our TMX is delivered this week. 6am breakfasts such still regardless of how nice the weather is.
Blogging about my adventures at http://thermocauldron.blogspot.com/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »
I use a combination of the two porridge recipes from the 2 everyday cook books...

For about 2 people:

100g rolled oats
400g milk/water (sometimes I do 50/50 othertimes 300ml water (just straight out of the filter) and 100ml milk (straight from the fridge)
pinch of salt

Cook on reverse speed 1-2 for 8-9 minutes at 90C

For a yummy variation I first blitz (turbo once or twice) a handful of almonds then add some craisons (dried cranberries) linseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, then add all the rest of the ingredients.

DD1 and I like thinner porridge (in the direction of gruel) so I use 450 g milk/water, and I cook it for 15 mins (mainly because that suits the time it takes me to shower and dress  ;D).  Plus I use speed 3 to stop it sticking to the bottom.  Otherwise my approach is very similar.  I love your variation ideas - I intend to give them a try.

I often include apple puree in mine, which is yummy.  I used to put a bit of cinnamon in too, but that's ruled out now because of DD2's allergy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:00:00 pm by CarolineW »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »
Thanks Ladies.  I still haven't had any luck (3 more different attempts today), although they thankfully were easy to clean as they were very runny.

I am starting to think that perhaps our idea of "porridge" is quite different to other peoples.  We have our porridge thick and quite gluggy (no runny liquid left after cooking time).  After it is cooked we spoon it into serving bowls and add milk.  The milk pools around the porridge. To eat the porridge you kind of "cut it" with your spoon.

Is that what your porridge recipe is like JD?  Perhaps I could double your quantities and see how I go?  :)

That's how ours turns out if we follow the UK book's 350g water/milk and 100oC temperature to 100g oats.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 06:59:23 am »
I have been makig porridge a bit for the little ones lately.  I add an apple, quartered (I just remove the stalk - leave the seeds and skin for extra goodness) a small handful of almonds and small handful of dates - this way I dont have to add any sugar.  Yumm
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 02:31:30 am »
I have had no success with Porridge.

Today I followed ILB method, worked out well.

Ds loves it, hated all the other versions. We added cold milk & sugar to his bowl.

I used 100g oats
400 low fat milk

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »
I absolutely LOVE porridge and eat it every morning for my breakfast, even in summer.

I don't mind ordinary oat porridge, but I have my own recipe which I make with ground millet, buckwheat, cashews and chia seeds, and then add whole oats and chopped banana ;D ;D Yum yum in my tum every morning!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »
I'm having trouble making porridge in my Thermo Chef. I don't have a reverse function, so I am using my butterfly and a low speed. It keeps catching on the bottom of the jug, so I have tried increasing the speed and reducing the temperature. However, the worst part is the texture - it is like glue.
I've just been using generic oats, so today I have bought a different brand. Maybe this will make a difference
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »
Sue do you use water or milk or a combo?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net