Author Topic: Chicken Moolie - (Chicken curry) (original recipe by Mrs Lee - Singapore)  (Read 16107 times)

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
Chicken Moolie

Ingredients:
6 Chicken thigh fillets - fat removed - you can use breast meat - but I think thigh is tastier - cubed
2 tomato - quartered
400g coconut milk (tinned)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp oil

Rempah: ( an onion, ginger and spice blend sauteed first until fragrant)

1/2 tsp fresh ginger
2 onions (or 12 shallots)
large pea sized piece of blachan (prawn paste) optional
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp coriander
2 tbsp sambal olek (chilli) - or to taste
1/2 tsp cumin

Preparation:

1. Put shallots and ginger in TM bowl.
    chop 5 secs on speed 7

2. Add oil, spices for the rempah and blachan if using,
    Cook Varoma temperature for 5 minutes, speed 2

3. When fragrant add 1/2 coconut milk.
   Cook 2 minutes, temperature 90, speed 2

4. Add remaining coconut milk, tomato, chicken, sugar and salt.
    Add water and stock paste if required
    Cook 15 minutes, Reverse; at temperature 100, speed 1

members' comments

sue h - it was quite tasty. I only had 3 chicken thighs and in hind sight should have reduced the recipe to suit or added some vegetables. It was very quick to prepare and had a nice flavour. The prawn paste really goes well in this.

JD - this recipe is so delicious.  I did half the recipe, didn't have any prawn paste, only used 1 tsp sambal oelek and cut the oil down to 1 tblspn and it was perfectly spiced for us.  Thickened the sauce with a heaped tblspn cornflour mixed with a little coconut milk, there was a lot of sauce but it went well with the couscous I made as a change from rice. Thumbs up from both of us here, one of the tastiest meals we've had lately. 5/5

johnro - This was a great dish and very quick to make  after arriving home late form school (parent teacher interviews).  Thanks for posting Karen - 5 out of 5 from us as well - at Judy's suggestion served with spicy cous cous, sweet potato and pumpkin - all up a great meal!

Denzelmum - We had vegetarian version (potatoes and frozen mock chicken) and had it with steamed rice and steamed broccoli.  The whole family enjoy this, yum....  would be regular.  Thank you for sharing.

Amy - it was delicious. 5/5 from me, definitely a make-again recipe. I added a whole eggplant and my brother didn't even realise.

goldfish - only changes were 1 teasp of cumin as I'd run out of coriander and 1 teasp of chilli flakes as also out of the sambal olek.  Next time will make sure I have the coriander and if I need to substitute for the sambal olek I'd increase the amount of chilli. . . .
A lovely curry!! 5/5!

brazen - love how easy it was and taste was ok but the spices tasted undercooked, or maybe too much turmeric. Nice base but will play a little. Update - this curry tasted better each day it was leftover in the fridge.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:16:28 pm by judydawn »

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Moolie (original recipe by Mrs Lee - Singapore)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:23:18 am »
Sounds good Karen, Can't wait to give this a try.

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:34 am »
Sounds yummy!

Offline Cldy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »
Thanks Karen,

I am from Singapore too and am happy to see an south-east asian recipe! Thanks for converting this. Can't wait to try it soon. :)

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Moolie - (Chicken curry) (original recipe by Mrs Lee - Singapore)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »
We had this last night and it was quite tasty. I only had 3 chicken thighs and in hind sight should have reduced the recipe to suit or added some vegetables. It was very quick to prepare and had a nice flavour. The prawn paste really goes well in this. 
Sue from North Queensland

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
KarenT, this recipe is so delicious.  I did half the recipe, didn't have any prawn paste, only used 1 tspn sambal oelek and cut the oil down to 1 tblspn and it was perfectly spiced for us.  Thickened the sauce with a heaped tblspn cornflour mixed with a little coconut milk, there was a lot of sauce but it went well with the couscous I made as a change from rice.
Thumbs up from both of us here, one of the tastiest meals we've had lately. 5/5 from us.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:18:08 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
This was a great dish and very quick to make - after arriving home late form school (parent teacher interviews).  Thanks for posting Karen - 5 out of 5 from us as well - at Judy's suggestion served with spicy cous cous, sweet potato and pumpkin - all up a great meal!  :)  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
We had vegetarian version (potatoes and frozen mock chicken) and had it with steamed rice and steamed brocolly.  The whole family enjoy this, yum....  would be regular.  Thank you for sharing.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. 5/5 from me, definitely a make-again recipe :D
I added a whole eggplant and my brother didn't even realise ;D

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Made this for dinner last night - only changes were 1 teasp of cumin as I'd run out of coriander and 1 teasp of chilli flakes as also out of the sambal olek.  Next time will make sure I have the coriander and if I need to substitute for the sambal olek I'd increase the amount of chilli. . . .
A lovely curry!! 5/5!

Offline auds

• View Profile
Is prawn paste the same as shrimp paste

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would think they are muchy muchy auds, some countries call prawns shrimps and others call shrimps prawns ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
I am making this on Sunday will report back how it goes.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 01:13:13 am »
made it last night - love how easy it was and taste was ok but the spices tasted undercooked, or maybe too much turmeric. nice base but will play a little :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 03:04:12 am »
just wanted to update that this curry tasted better each day it was leftover in the fridge :D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog