Author Topic: Bread making question  (Read 5359 times)

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
Bread making question
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:34:27 am »
To all the bread making gurus here :)

I have made Chookie's no fuss loaf with plain flour and it turned out superb, but now trying to experiment. I am trying to replace it with coconut and whole meal flour, do I still use the same water measurement or increase it?

And also, is there a way I can save my bread? I made a loaf and it was late before I saw that it was not cooked through :( Is there anything I can do?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bread making question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:42:51 pm »
Good news that Chookie's No Fuss Breadrecipe is a success for you thermilover.

Wholemeal and coconut flour does require extra liquid.Bread is cooked when the internal temperature is approx 100c .

Hopefully Chookie,who is the bread guru, will help with on how you can save your undercooked loaf. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
Thermilover, I don't know any way to save an under cooked loaf.  What I would do is trim off the good bits and turn them into bread crumbs.  My chooks just love my disasters.
Why did you use plain flour not bread flour?  I personally don't like the texture of plain( cake ) flour when used for bread.
Glad to see you are experimenting. Coconut flour is a tricky one to use in any baking. I wouldn't add more than 100grams. to the No Fuss recipe. That is 100 grams of coconut flour and 400 of wholemeal flour and would add an extra teaspoon of yeast.  As CC said, would need more liquid. Let us know how you go.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:34:26 pm »
Thanks CC and Chookie, hubby insisted on putting the bread back in for baking, but not sure how it would be as it turned out to be very hard (I used coconut flour and wholemeal).
Good idea Chookie, I will probably use it as breadcrumbs and bird food ;)

When you mentioned bread flour, I assumed plain flour :(
Can we find bread flour seperately? I will check out the supermarket next time..

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:09:55 am »
Thermilover I think most of us buy our Bread flour in 5 kilo bags usually on the bottom shelf , called Bakers Flour.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:49 am »
The last 2 times I've bought Lauke bread mix at Foodland they've only had the 10 kg calico bags, I wonder why they've stopped stocking the 5kg packets of plain bakers flour which is what I always used to buy.  You can imagine how long 10 kg lasts me with the amount of cooking I do these days.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:23 am »
The last 2 times I've bought Lauke bread mix at Foodland they've only had the 10 kg calico bags, I wonder why they've stopped stocking the 5kg packets of plain bakers flour which is what I always used to buy.  You can imagine how long 10 kg lasts me with the amount of cooking I do these days.
That is very interesting Judy, as Safeway in Kyneton where I shop stopped stocking the 10 k bags. I spoke to the manager and he said there wasn't a demand for it.  I know that this isn't true as I buy a 10 k bag about every month and I also know that a couple of the local shops also used to buy 10k bags.
Coles at Woodend, which is a small shop has the 10k bags and it is a dollar cheaper.
No wonder Woolworths are not doing well financially. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:31 am »
Maybe  bread making is a dying art Chookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 05:11:27 am »
I hope it is not a dying art Judy, prior to thermomix, I only used to dream of making my own bread..
There is something about the smell of freshly baked bread... mmmm, love it...
I will check out Baker's flour next time I visit woolies, Thanks all :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:28:57 am »
Maybe  bread making is a dying art Chookie.
Don't think so Judy. I can teach as many people as I have time to fit in. I think there is a lot of miss information and this puts people off.
Thermilover, keep at it we will help you.  Where do you live? If close could give you a hand. I think it might be a good idea to try plain white bread to start with and then move on from there.
The difficulty with mixed flour/ exotic breads is that we compare the result with commercial breads. Mostly we can nor produce the same results without special ovens and other ingredients that we would not want to use.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 05:43:57 am »
That's really sweet of you Chookie, but I live in Sydney... :)
True, I probably compare the result with a commercial bread, that could be one reason why I have high expectations at times, but I have tried your no fuss rolls with plain flour and loved it.
And also made Tenina's five seed bread a couple of times.
I like the five seed bread to have with soups but not for a toast, so was trying a seedless mixed flour version..

Hubby keeps insisting on not using plain flour and having a healthier version, next time I make, I will try using only wholemeal...

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 07:00:07 am »
Thermilover, try Laucke wholemeal and use the no fuss recipe and add a 1/4 cup more water.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 10:11:21 am »
Helene has a nice bread similar to the 5 seed bread on her blog.superkitchenmachine
It's much nicer than the 5 seed. It's called Rustic Bread. Here is the link. You may find other recipes for bread there that you like too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/