Author Topic: what is the best brand of saucepans  (Read 26206 times)

Offline caketin

• View Profile
Re: what is the best brand of saucepans
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 01:55:01 pm »
Wow those Cristel pots look great! I've look at removable handle ones before which I though were really lose and didn't feel like they griped, I wonder what their ones are like? But everything looks really sleek.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »
frozzie I cant help but look at those pots and think they look like ordinary pots. I really want to know what the difference is between brands and especially the copper pans. surely with copper there has to be a quality differance????
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 03:43:02 pm »
CP they are 18/10. stainless steel with a tripple base that heats evenly as well as the handles are removable so they can go in the oven etc, im sure there are others but you would just have to watch the quality...they are well known here to be of lifetime quality which is rare, they are resistant and if you use them properly you wont have foods sticking etc and yes they are expensive b ut last according to some 5 times longer than other pots and pans.  They have alof of good reviews.  However I cant comment personally as I dont have any as yet( snif) but do have a solid stainless steel saucepan with a similar base and it doesnt compare to general pots and pans.  As far as copper goes, there are mixed opionons and yes it has a repuation when they are good quality ie heavy and a thick base for fantastic heat distribution and are quick to cool down and I know for a crock pot style pot etc you cant go past them for long cooking dishes but personally I just like stainless steel (of a good quality) and think its more versatile imo.  I think also to really see the difference in any pots or pans you need to feel them and its hard by internet so unless you can check them out in some shop somewhere then look for prices online its hard!!  In any case every one has their preferences and opinions which are all differnt..it comes down to making your own judgement !

caketin re how the handles grip i imagine for that price they would grip perfectly but if I get a chance ill try and check it out for you and report back just to know!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 04:32:12 pm »
was wondering if anyone had copper pans? and if so, what are they like?

I have a lot of copper and have had some for several decades, much inherited from my grandmother.  The older stuff is all tin lined and had to be re-tinned every few years depending on the amount of action they got.
When copper lined with stainless steel appeared on the market, I bought several pieces of Bourgeat, made in France.  Very expensive but it will last forever - some of the old pieces I have are well over 100 years old and the SS lined should last even longer. 
It is pretty when polished but I am not rigorous about polishing and tend to use half a lemon dipped in salt rather than the commercial cleaners.

It is a major investment but the heat response is far superior to any other metal.  SS pots with an aluminum CORE, not just a plate on the bottom, are almost as sensitive but you do have to pay for it.
I did not buy a set.  I bought individual pieces, starting with a 12 inch skillet , a 3-3/4 quart saucepan, a 2-3/4 quart flared saute pan that can double as a sauce pan.  Later I added an 8 1/2 qt. casserole, saute pans with straight sides and a few other pieces that aren't carried by this vendor. 
I have a friend who used to be a flight attendant and would buy pieces in France and bring them back for me. 
I have already passed some of the pieces along to my daughter.

These all hang in my kitchen and some are a bit dusty as it is summer and we have almost constant winds. :-[
None has been polished for quite a while but it still looks pretty good hanging up - as long as  you don't look too close. ;D

I also have several pieces of All Clad stainless steel that is "fully clad" in that the aluminum core extends up the sides of the pan as well as the bottom.  This is to make sure there are no hot spots on the sides near the bottom, which is a major flaw in the SS pans that only have a plate on the bottom.
Cooks Illustrated a magazine with NO ads and which does extensive testing of cookware, has consistently rated All Clad top of the line, even though it is expensive.  (but not as expensive as copper)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:36:06 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:01 am »
Andie, I would love to come and see all your cookware (and all your gadgets!), it looks gorgeous!

I like my Amway saucepans, hate Scanpan as everything sticks (though Scanpan roasting dishes are fabulous!). I love my Le Creuset casseroles and don't much like Bessemer. I have a gas hotplate and Bessemer are best with electric or induction stove tops.

I buy relatively cheap non stick frypans and replace them when they've had it. My sister has just bought a whole set of Silit and loves them. Not sure how they'll stand the test of time. She has an induction cook top.

I also like the Baccarat SS pans, but the frypan is hopeless, everything sticks to it.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 05:45:45 pm »
Here's a link to the All Clad site for OZ.

My friend in Mt. Dandenong, emailed me the URL this morning.  She saw mine when she visited here a few years ago and when it became available she purchased several pieces. 

I've had most of mine for twenty years or so and it still looks good.  It got a lot of action when I was catering and didn't want my helpers using my copper pans. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 05:39:00 am »
We were given an Ikea set of pots for our wedding eight years ago. It was a boxed set with three different sized pots and a saucepans, plus lids. They are great! They all have a good, heavy base and have held up very well over the years. I think they cost around $100 (ten years ago). Just putting a less expensive option out there!  :)

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:17 pm »
I'm happy with my Circolon saucepans, a Swiss Diamond frypan. I have a Scanpan pot that sits in the back of the cupboard and I must send back as it is peeling badly. Wouldn't buy Scanpan again, as that pot didn't last long before it started to peel.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
Personally I don't like coated pans (non stick) because eventually it does come off or wear through. I prefer stainless steel dual layered pans with full metal handles, ie nothing that can come off, get chipped or damaged in anyway. High quality stainless is easy to clean even if you inadvertently burn food on the pan.
I am a big fan of James Martins Stellar pan range, would never buy a set as a set because rarely is every one there that you need. Buy individually and buy what you will use rather than what is given in  a set.
Buy the best quality that you can afford and it will reap great rewards for you and your cooking.
I hope this helps.
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 10:53:03 am »
beautiful set of cookware you got there andiesenji.

I have no idea what brand my pots and pans are but they are all stainless steel and cost too much. I remember the price of my soup pot which was about 700€ but its also quite big :)

Dont like non stick pans as they cant stand the heat. If i had the money and need to buy pots to my own kitchen i would go for something like andiesenji.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 02:52:31 am »
Has anyone tried GreenPan saucepans?

I've got scanpans that are about 8 years old and they are all peeling badly so I am looking to replace them.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 03:01:54 am »
Hadn't heard of them until now consumerate.

Just looked at them on the link and look pretty good and reasonably priced.  :)

I have scanpan and analon. One of my scanpans peeled but the others are fine and had about 8 years of use.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 03:24:45 am »
I dont like anything nonstick generally even thpugh i have a few i prefer ss good quality pans and recently got some mauviel copper cookware..And im going to add to it bit by bit.. Greenpan as far as i know is relatively new so not many people will know much about it ...look on the forums online for people using them if someone doesnt answer you here.. Sorry couldnt help..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:04 am »
Best ones are ones you get for free.

otherwise i like Scanpan
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 05:24:26 am »
I am using my old stainless steel saucepans  & Frypan (got DH to take handles off them) and now use them for storage containers.   The frypan is great for giving DS pizza to take home with him. 

Marie