Author Topic: Pea, Pear & Mint soup  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Pea, Pear & Mint soup
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:34:54 pm »
Name of Recipe: Pea, Pear & Mint Soup

I found this recipe in "A Celebration of Soup" by Lindsey Bareham.   It sounds weird but tastes really good and, as it uses store cupboard ingredients, is very easy and quick to make

Number of People:  6
Ingredients:

450 g Frozen Peas
2 x 400 cans unsweetened pears
5 g mint leaves or  2 tbsp mint jelly
1 tbsp cider vinegar (see note)

Preparation:

If using mint leaves, finely chop them using turbo for a few times

Cook the peas in salted water for a few minutes and drain.  (This could be done in the Thermomix but I didn't)

Drain the liquid from the pear cans into a measuring jug and make the liquid up to 900 ml with water.

Add the peas, liquid and pears to TMX bowl and liquidise at speed 8 for 30 seconds.

Add the mint and cook at 100/Speed 2/10 minutes.

Taste and add the vinegar if you want to cut through the sweetness a bit.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

The original recipe didn't use the vinegar but I found it improved the flavour.

It can be served hot or cold.  

I also think it might make a good sorbet if processed in an ice-cream maker but haven't tried it (yet!)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pea, Pear & Mint soup
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:50:43 am »
Certainly does taste weird Katya.  I immediately thought of people on a Failsafe diet when I saw the pears but having a look at the list of foods they can and cannot eat, they can have canned or Surprise peas but can't have mint or vinegar. There is a substitute for them for vinegar and I suppose they could leave the mint out without detracting from the taste too much.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Pea, Pear & Mint soup
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »
Actually I think the mint is important in this soup JD as otherwise it would just be very sickly sweet.

I had it cold for lunch today and I think it might be even better cold.  I think it could be a good starter for a summer's dinner party