Author Topic: Food Magazine Subscriptions  (Read 16239 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Food Magazine Subscriptions
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 12:45:13 am »
The only magazine I subscribe to is Healthy Food Guide. I did have a lot of old Recipes+ and Super Food Ideas magazines, but I rarely looked at them. They were full of a lot of recipes I wouldn't cook without making extremely vast alterations. So I ripped out a few recipes, stuck them in a folder, and recycled the rest of the magazines.

I used to work in a newsagency, and at the end of each week/month/quarter when all the old magazines were pulled off the shelves and replaced with current editions, staff were allowed to take the old magazines home. I must say I was never impressed with Masterchef, Donna Hay, Gourmet Traveller, or a number of other foody magazines. I often threw them in the recycling without finishing them. Glad I didn't pay for them!

But I love my Healthy Food Guides. I read them cover-to-cover and then re-read them over and over again, reminding myself of all the little tips to make my cooking healthier. If you hadn't guessed already, I am very health-conscious ;)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:57 am »
Naughty me, i have subscribed to Delicious magazine. I bought it in Sydney & loved it.

Thats 3 subscriptions, I think that will do for a while.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 07:02:23 am »
The thing I don't like about subscriptions is that you rarely get the freebies that are sometimes on the magazine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:05 am »
My mum once brought me a 12 month subscription to a magazine for a Christmas present. Was such a great present cause it lasted a whole year :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 11:12:48 am »
I couldnt get any of these until i got my ipad.. Now i can subscribe or just buy most of them and love how you can easily buy past issues if you want...i do love an actual magazine but i think its just a question of getting used to them electronically.. Definately sa es on piles of magazines as i dont like throwing them away...

As for cookbooks i have three bookshelves full and counting and there is just no hope for me..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 12:44:31 pm »
Is this really tight? I actually borrow all food mags from the library. The most recent copies can't be borrowed but can be looked at in the library.  All I do is borrow the month for the year prior so all the ingredients will be in season. Our local library has all sorts of mags. I can read about $20 worth for free!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »
I stopped subscribing to magazines as such a couple of years ago.  I buy some for my Kindle, from time to time but usually just go to the web sites such as BBC Good Food, Saveur, etc.,  (I subscribe online to Cooks Illustrated but you can get some of the America's Test Kitchen recipes for free)

I used to subscribe to many food magazines.  In the magazine section in my storage building I have 45 years of Gourmet magazine, the same number of Sunset magazines (only distributed in the western U.S. but subscriptions sent everywhere).
I've boxes full of Saveur, Good Housekeeping, BBC Good Food, Sainbury's, Southern Living, Martha Stewart Living, etc., etc., etc., many of which I never opened and some are still in the plastic wrappers that were added in more recent years.

I do subscribe to one quarterly food magazine: Culture, which is just about cheese.  It has recipes for making cheese (like this one) as well as cooking with cheese and has an extensive list of cheese shops in the U.S. (listed by state), Canada, three in New Zealand and six in the U.K.
Some people arrange vacations around cheese "destinations" and often wine and cheese trips are advertised in the magazine, although I've never been on one, I have visited a few cheese shops listed when I have been in a particular region.

I am rather a cheese fan(atic) as is my daughter and her family and I pass on interesting articles to her. 

Not all the recipes or articles are available online which is why I subscribe.  More are available now but this is one magazine that I like to hold in my hands...
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »
I love Gourmet Traveller - very happy I can now get it online. We also have Jamie Oliver mag in Uk - but I don't often buy it - is it sold in Aust?

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:15 am »
Is the cost for online subscription for mags the same as the hard copes?

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 12:22:53 am »
Generally cheaper Tp
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 12:36:05 am »
 brumington l borrow mags from the library too  it saves soooo much money
and if l like a part  l will scan the page

leave more money to spend on us
 also  l borrow  books  from the library that l think l would like to buy
if they have it in there system

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 12:40:42 am »
What a great  idea visiting the library

I will pick up & look at  last years Dona Hay magazine for each relevant month.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:42 am »
I think I'll do the same too. No need to spend money when it's there for free. Might have some problems walking past the Christmas issues like JD but will try hard. I am trying to cut down on books that we buy and have been trying to talk DH into a kindle or Ipad for that reason. I usually buy a Lonely Planet guide for each country that we visit but did borrow one from the library recently instead of buying one for a short trip.