Author Topic: recommendations with new fridge/freezer - in Australia  (Read 5835 times)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
recommendations with new fridge/freezer - in Australia
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:44:22 pm »
dear all
i'm sitting here trying to work out what to buy... and then thought that I could ask for your advice...

we've been talking about getting a second fridge for some time as we don't have enough room in the current one... which is a fisher and paykal.

I'm tempted to get a chest freezer and cope with the current fridge arrangements... (I think)... but 'is Nibs (my DH) wouldn't really see that as solving the problem!  I would also quite like a larder fridge and freezer - called a pigeon pair, over here, i think!  I wouldn't be able to have them side by side (which wouldn't be a problem, i expect)

Could you recommend any particular brand or model??

Here's some miscellaneous/background info that may help:
I tend to buy once or twice a week and often in larger quantities.
I don't menu plan for a week... I go with my 'intuition'...

We are a family of four, entertaining regularly at weekends... probably anywhere from one to nine extra guests; I also do TMX demos...

I would prefer to be able to store nuts etc in the fridge...

we are in Sydney; we don't have restriction on size.

I am very keen to have the most efficient machine - but not at all costs.... I would prefer not to go for F&P again.

thank you very much for any help or advice or comments you may make!
with regards
Gillian

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: recommendations with new fridge/freezer - in Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:11:15 pm »
We just bought an F & P fridge / freezer earlier this year and are very happy with it.  We were sorely tempted by Smeg who do a lot of colourful 'retro' look styles and are a good brand but there was a very long waiting list and we needed a fridge fairly quickly. 

The noise of the fan and motor were a major factor in our decision so if that is important for you perhaps you could try to get hold of the Choice magazine report on fridges and see what they have got to say.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:56:24 pm »
Gillian there was a discussion about freezers on this forum recently, a lot of people didn't like the chest freezers as they are harder to find things in. Where abouts in Sydney are you from? I live in Castle Hill

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:30:32 pm »
Here's the discussion on freezers teagg - it may be of some help to you for that part of your question.

Have you seen the French door fridge/freezers?  They are huge and if I had the space I would have one tomorrow.  Check them out here, the 4 door is what I would have.  They hold huge platters of food.  Maybe someone has got one out there and can endorse first hand what I have only seen in someone's home.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:57:29 am »
We have F & P. Friends were told not to buy a Samsung. We had a Westinghouse that lasted for many, many years and was still going when we got rid of it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:47 am »
I second Westinghouse. Tough as nails. Our old one lived outside for years as a drinks fridge before it finally gave up the ghost.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:38 am »
I have a small chest freezer which I bought 21 years ago and which shows no signs of dying.
If I had my time over again I would get an upright one, though.  Whatever goes in first tends to stay there for ages (years in some cases) as my domestic standards are not high.  I like the idea of having the deep drawers where I could designate sections and see what is in them.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:05 am »
I have a small F&P chest freezer that my mother gave to me about 30years ago.  It has never missed a beat and has survived about 9 house moves.  It needs new seals on the lid at present but other than that still great.  But not big enough.
We had a F&P fridge that was a dissapointment and a wreck after just a few years and now have a Westinghouse that is a dream and about 5 years old.
I would go for Westinghouse again.
Daughter had an LG lemon that was replaced twice as it just would not run properly.  She gave up after the third one and went with F&P but it was never a great fridge either.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:12 am »
Dear all
thank you so much for your suggestions - I still need to read the other thread yet before making a decision. Tried to discuss with DH and he apologised saying that was 'so' not on his radar screen at the moment!! 
So I'll kelp working at it!

Yvette
I'm over towards Terrey Hills. Fancy meeting up at some point!?
I do a splendid pot of tea!!

Regards
Gillian

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »
when ever l buy any whitegoods
 l check out what choice mag has to say about it
l borrow it from my local library

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »
Last time I tried to borrow Choice magazine at the library it was only available in an electronic copy and, although I was able to access all the reports, etc., I was unable to download or copy the relevant pages.  It was really frustrating as it was a longish report and I couldn't note down all the relevant points by hand.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
Hi Gillian that sounds good, there are three of us over this way and we just caught up to have a cooking day a couple of weeks ago. We have also met for coffee