Author Topic: HELP advice needed!  (Read 6002 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
HELP advice needed!
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:11:31 pm »
i need help getting my butter chicken recipe to work better! the taste is fantastic so i don't want to change that at all...

the first 1-2 times i made this it worked really well (as you can see in the picture) but ever since then every time i've made it the chicken has been basically shredded. i just end up with no pieces of chicken at all, just a thick thick sauce that is all the same texture due to the 'chicken pulp'.

dh made it last night and i asked him to try cutting the chicken slightly larger - not sure how much larger he cut but it didn't help.

any ideas on how i can make the chicken stay together in one piece? should i have large chunks, or cook less time or lower speed to cook or what????
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
Re: HELP advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:04:55 am »
I have made it twice, and both times I ended up with chunks. The first time they were more like the photo (maybe 4-5cm) and the second time I cut them more like the recipe (2-3cm)

Are you positive you remembered to hit reverse? (I suppose it is also possible that they have changed the recipe between book printings and yours doesn't say reverse?)

If it helps, we can compare recipes to make sure the book still has the same one.
Row

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:08:58 am »
i don't make the one in the book, i didn't like it, i make the one linked to in my post above ;)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:32:53 am »
Hi Brazen, something my consultant mentioned (I haven't tried it yet) is to use the butterfly. It stops the vortex happening and sucking all the meat to the blades. I can see how it would work with just keeping the food moving but not always sucked down to the blades.  You could do this with any casserole type dish. That might help.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:57:23 am »
Oh, oops, that will teach me not to click on links! I thought the link was just to a picture.
Row

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:20:34 am »
Did you use chicken breast or thigh fillets Karen?  I'd be inclined to use the latter as I find breast meat too dry in these sorts of dishes.  I think Ayla posted that she had done this recipe and it was a winner in her household, wonder how her pieces of chicken ended up.  I'd like to follow the recipe in the book so if anyone else has made it with success, please let us know. The idea of the butterfly is handy to know too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:31:45 am »
thanks faffa, i will try the butterfly and see how it goes :)

judy, breasts, we don't like thighs plus i was trying to do it as low fat as possible ;) i think ayla did the recipe from the book, not mine.
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:45:33 am »
By the time I've finished with my thighs Karen, they are completely low-fat ;D ;D  A lot of work but I get there and DH appreciates it because the medication he is on makes a lot of meat taste dry, especially chicken breasts and steak.  He never complains about the thigh meat though so it is obviously moist enough for him.  We can both be eating the same piece of steak and he will tell me it is dry whereas I think it is perfect. I cook it medium to his liking so it is not that I have overcooked it or anything like that.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:59:46 am »
Definitely better with the butterfly, possibly about speed 1 or 2 and maybe at 90 degrees would be better.  But can't try it at moment - so sad. :( :(  My poor lonely Bimby left at home alone.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:48:21 am »
Thermomixer just imagine how sad your little Bimby is at being left home all alone!! lol  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!