Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 801220 times)

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1380 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:54 am »
I think it's different for everyone Courton. I include all food items in mine, but not cleaning stuff or toiletries. Some people buy meat or pantry items in bulk so don't include that in their weekly budget. Just go with what feels right for you - I've made my budget $120/week including meat & fish, but if I buy something in bulk from Costco I don't include that in my budget. I only go to Costco once every few months.
The idea is to get you thinking about how you shop, using what's in your pantry/freezer, and not getting sucked in by 'specials' at the supermarket!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline mmsie

• View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 30, 2012, 03:56:18 am »
Your doing well Emma. What some of us do is average it over the weeks. So on weeks when you stock up or have a party to host will balance out with weeks when you eat out of the freezer and spend less.
E.G. For me I've spent anywhere between $79.00 and $278.00 per week my average though is $117.11c per week.
I'm yet to manage a no spend week.
[/quote]

I have started to plan next weeks menu, it is amazing how much time it takes! I guess I will get quicker, by the time I do the shopping list it is quite a mission! Lucky I enjoy it  :-)) I can see why you say to average it out Michele as I think I will be $100 without meat and fish next week, I think I can balance it out another week though  ;D

As an aside I get my rapadura sugar from Manna Whole Foods in South Fremantle, it is weigh and pay at $9.99kg which is pretty good I think for not being bulk. They have heaps of other stuff their too, worth a drive for SOR girls : ) it's on South Terrace for those nearby or http://www.mannawholefoods.com.au/ those out of town.
Where's Wally?

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 30, 2012, 04:46:52 am »
Mmsie, your doing well :) if you can get an app that keeps all your menu plans, you can pick & choose from previous menus if your busy. I also have a selection of ideas for each season :)

Courtin, just work out what suits you. Meat I buy in bulk.

Deli items I include, ham, salamis etc.

Pet food is not included, unless they are having tuna or chicken. Soaps, laundry, bathroom & cleaning items not included. Mine is food only. The reason I started this was to cut down on quantity & use up what we have & menu plan. To be more efficient & have everything work for me. I no longer wake up & say what do you want for dinner, go out & buy it, even though we might have had all the ingredients in the house. I am also substututing items, if I dont have what I need to use something I have :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 30, 2012, 04:52:38 am »
I have only been reading these posts as my shopping for the week in between $150 and $200, but that includes absolutely everything. I spend about $60-70 a week on fruit and vegies alone as we eat a lot of them. It also includes meat, cleaning products and everything else. Hally do you include your stuff from Aussie Farmers?
Perhaps I'm not doing so badly after all. I don't buy a lot of things in bulk so they are all included in my weekly shop as well.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 30, 2012, 04:53:32 am »
Yes my aussie farmers is included :)

I am alot more frugal though, like evey tues & fri always a delivery of milk, butter, eggs or whatever. Tomorrow no delivery. Some weeks 1 delivery & other weeks 2.

Thursdays fruit & veg, once I managed to have no fruit & veg delivery.

I have no more deliveries after today until we come back from Singapore.

All set for a 0 spend next week :)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:00:48 am by Halex »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:55 am »
My amount is whatever I have spent on any household item be it food, toiletries and cleaning products. All bulk purchases are included and if I go way over one week, it is evened out by weeks where I spend nothing at all.  I have been doing this for a few years now and it has always averaged out to under $100 per week.  That was not the case previously as I was spending far too much for just 2 people and am ashamed at how much food was binned.  I shop far more sensibly these days and if I have to pop around to the shops during the week to pick up items for a particulat recipe, I have learnt to buy those items and nothing else.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 30, 2012, 05:13:10 am »
Great H - a $0 spend week feels so good.
Mine this week is going perfectly to plan... no shopping, tho have run out of fresh milk so using long-life, no big deal, just not very organised of me!  ;)
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 30, 2012, 05:16:51 am »
It is not unusual to run out of milk Astarra which is why I always have a few litres of LL milk on hand.  Having lived on powdered milk many years ago as a single mother to make ends meet, LL is pure luxury in comparison.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #1388 on: August 30, 2012, 06:18:33 am »
I often cook with powdered milk. You can't tell the difference in sauces, cakes etc, although I do keep LL in the pantry just in case we run out for coffee etc.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 30, 2012, 07:17:16 am »
I have frozen milk to get us through next week..
Total spend this week $161, so I am $11 over budget. Budget $150.
Wont need to buy anything next week, so will be a O spend. Determined to stick to that.
I dropped another huge food parcel at my friends today, so shes fine now for 2 weeks. She says she is p to cooking the odd meal now, so I will see how she is when I get back from Singapore, which is funded from by food budget savings :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:15 am »
Hally your a gem..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 30, 2012, 07:53:15 am »
Hally your a gem..

Yes she is. I wonder If she knows what an impact this challenge has had on so many lives. 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 30, 2012, 11:58:43 am »
Thanks for the information. I'm afraid I tend to buy lots of something if it is on special.(that's if it is something we use) eg this week had small Goulbourn Valley fruits on special. DD takes them for lunch quite often so I bought quite a few. I do remember to use them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #1393 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:01 pm »
What is everyone doing with their savings? I know Hally is off on holiday with hers, that is wonderful!  I have a nest egg of $6,500 from this years savings. Am very pleased about that. That shopping thread threatens my savings regularly though...haha.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #1394 on: August 30, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
I should add that my frugal spirit has spread to most areas of my spending so my savings are from what I used to spend every month on all personal spending not just household. I usually buy a new MacBook pro every second year and have decided to make this one last another year. The iPad is great for a lot of stuff but I use my laptop a lot for graphics etc.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/