Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 802611 times)

Offline mmsie

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1365 on: August 27, 2012, 09:42:19 am »
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your company on the way home Halex, I am sold on the idea!

I am going to give it a go, I spend about $200/$250 a week on 2 people including toiletries so it will be a challenge. I think the first step is to menu plan like you ladies so I am starting today! My two main immediate savings are buying in bulk and stopping going to the Boatshed! lol

;D Emma
Where's Wally?

mcmich

« Reply #1366 on: August 27, 2012, 09:57:57 am »
Love the avatar Em. You will be our forum Wally.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 27, 2012, 10:35:43 am »
Mmsie, Thanks for the lift :)

Look in your cupboards, freezer etc & start from there. You have heaps of recipes now, so good luck :)

Need any help with anything, pm, email or ring :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #1368 on: August 27, 2012, 12:43:08 pm »
I think I've done well this week. $114.50 including meat but not including soft drink $140 with soft drinks. I normally spend around $250 or more so I'm pretty happy. I've also never meal planned and shopped for a week at once so that was fun. I'm hoping it works out without any further shopping trips.

Mon: OMG Chicken with salad
Tue: Martha Stewart Perfect Mac and Cheese
Wed: Lamb shanks with Roast Veg
Thu: Steak and Salad for hubby and Lemon Pepper Salmon for me (our favourite meals)
Fri: Out - 1927 concert
Sat: pizza night at a friends place
Sun: Roast beef with all the trimmings, And sticky date pudding

Lunches: Turkey, Brie, Spinach and Cranberry wraps.
Left over Mac and Cheese

Jadey  :)
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 28, 2012, 12:29:53 am »
My menu plan is done, But sometimes I cook for us , and sometimes M&D too. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 28, 2012, 04:16:16 am »
Where has the time gone? I've just done this week's shopping and realised I hadn't added up last week's yet! Last week I was under, $116.09, and this week under again, $118.45 including drinks. Yay! I should really be able to go even lower considering my freezer is chock-a-block.... but couldn't resist salmon fillets - at least I know I can afford them now!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 28, 2012, 04:28:27 am »
We have a lot to thank Hally for  deedub.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:53 am »
Sure do Gert, she's definitely got me out of a few bad habits.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 29, 2012, 01:51:10 am »
Thanks guys :)

I am up to $147, need a few more things so will be slightly over budget, but next week is a  ZERO SPEND WEEK, yes have enough milk to last so its looking good. OK only here for 4 full days of the budget but its still a no spend week.

Off to singapore with the family using the savings from the $100 week challenge, feeling pretty good :)

Slipped a few items into my trolley yesterday with the help of crown prince that were not on my list :(

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline mmsie

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have spent about $96, I don't really want to include the 2 lots of oil I bought or the balsamic vinegar as they are pantry items but I guess I should?! :-[

I need to make some cupcakes for my husband to take to work as a fund raiser and will need some extra bits, does that count?! Just walnuts and maybe some white chocolate?! It just seems frustrating to have failed in my first week!  :-\

I have made a few items out of my weekly shop that will last - 2 jars of onion jam and some of Teninas Garlic paste so I should get brownie points for that?! ;D

mmsie
Where's Wally?

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 29, 2012, 03:18:17 am »
Been really busy the last few weeks so changed my weekly shopping to fortnightly and seems to be working quite well, it works out to $90 per week so really happy with that. This week it's just milk and only few vegetables  so around $15, i am going to use up freezer meals. Halex we are heading off to Singapore next week too  :D so next week a Zero Spend Week so happy never done that before  ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 29, 2012, 03:43:55 am »
I am so on track for zero spending till Sunday..... :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #1377 on: August 29, 2012, 07:53:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have spent about $96, I don't really want to include the 2 lots of oil I bought or the balsamic vinegar as they are pantry items but I guess I should?! :-[

I need to make some cupcakes for my husband to take to work as a fund raiser and will need some extra bits, does that count?! Just walnuts and maybe some white chocolate?! It just seems frustrating to have failed in my first week!  :-\

I have made a few items out of my weekly shop that will last - 2 jars of onion jam and some of Teninas Garlic paste so I should get brownie points for that?! ;D

mmsie

Your doing well Emma. What some of us do is average it over the weeks. So on weeks when you stock up or have a party to host will balance out with weeks when you eat out of the freezer and spend less.
E.G. For me I've spent anywhere between $79.00 and $278.00 per week my average though is $117.11c per week.
I'm yet to manage a no spend week.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:26 am »
I need to make some cupcakes for my husband to take to work as a fund raiser and will need some extra bits, does that count?! Just walnuts and maybe some white chocolate?!
mmsie

I don't think you are expected to include fund raiser ingredients mmsie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1379 on: August 29, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
Ok I know I am dropping in at this late stage but what don't you include in your $100 grocery budget? Washing powders, meat, fish??? I am doing really well if I spend $200 (all inclusive) and am struggling to see how I could do it with half the $$! How do you define grocery items...anything you buy from aldi, woollies or Coles?