Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 795232 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2012, 03:05:09 am »
This week we have gone through 12 litres of normal milk and 8 litres of soy milk.  That is for 2 adults and 1 toddler.  Not sure where it all goes.

Wow, thats a lot of milk! :o

I suppose if you make a lot of milky coffees, porridge, custard, rice puddings, becahmel sauces, yoghurt...

But thats still a lot of milk.... :o

Oh well, just imagine how strong your bones and teeth will be from all that calcium keiramax!!! :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:08 am »
Wow 20 litres a week between 3 people. That's a lot of milk lol.
We average I thing around 3 litres a day (21 litres a week) between 7.

Groceries done, I spent $382.18 for the fortnight, but if I'm taking off the personal items/pet food etc then my total so far is $328 f/night for 7 people :)
Pretty happy with that so far. Will see how I go for the rest of the f/night.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:27 am »
So if I'm looking around $460 f/night for 7 people I'm left with $132 for extras for the f/night. I think I can stay under budget ;)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2012, 03:11:48 am »
I think I can understand kieramax going thru that much milk if she did alot of cheese sauces and things like that, especially if she has to do normal and soy. My girls would easily drink a litre of milk each a day if I let them - but I'm a mean mum that makes them drink water all day, and 1 glass of milk each before bed. I have one DD that has a milk intolerance so needs soy too, so I find myself doing two mixtures of the same thing but usuing the different milks!  :)

So far so good with not going shopping this week - BUT have run completely out of flour and cheese slices (bad I know but DH won't eat anything else in his sandwiches/rolls, and complains if I leave cheese out altogether... :-)) ) So will see how far I can string it out but not sure if I'll make the whole week now.  :(
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:00 am »
Going well Mandi - any complaints from within the house  ;)

I've run out of DH's oranges (he has 1/2 an orange with his breakfast for fibre) because I used them in the orange sauce recipe I did the other day.  No more oranges now until Sunday but he won't mind.  As long as he can have a glass of soft drink with his meals he is happy - I have a glass of water so that his drinks last longer.  Besides that, I don't need the extra calories  ;) 

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2012, 03:36:45 am »
Now you have me thinking about our milk consumption.

The soy milk is for my daughter and she will have 2 - 3 bottles a day (300mls each) and some on her breakfast in the morning, that's nearly a litre a day.  About 7 litres a week.  She also drinks about 1 litre of water a day.

I make yoghurt twice a week, that's another 2 litres.
Becahmel sauce 500 mls
My partner has lots of milk on his cereal in the morning and a warm milk and honey at night so that's about 500 mls a day (3.5 litres a week)
Then he will have a milk shake a couple of times a week, usually about 1 litre at a time (that's another 2 litres)
I would drink at least 500 mls a day (3.5litres a week)  I have a calcium rich diet as I'm breastfeeding at the moment, I have a 67 mth 7 month old as well as the toddler.
Then the rest is used in cooking ( cake, custard, porridge )

So yes, 20 litres seems about right for this family.  I'm sure there a weeks when it's less. We very rarely drink wine or beer.

We mainly drink water and milk.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:44:43 am by judydawn »

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2012, 03:39:09 am »
Sorry that should say 7 month old

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2012, 03:56:52 am »
Well my first week is just about over and I couldn't be more happy  :D I have $2 left yeah and my new week begins tomorrow, only thing I would do different is write the menu with just the meals, as we had unexpected visitors and the list I had made went out the window lol, as long as there is 7 meals written down, then just go with the flow when and what I will have that day.  It was really nice going shopping and saying to myself do I really need this, when I didn't really a good wake up call, so I saved heaps and now a happy lady  :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:07 am »
Last week inc weekend we got through heaps of milk. Our foster boy & ds woukd drink nearly 2 litres each per day. When foster boy not here ds doesnt drink as much, but the foster child likes it so I am happyto make him happy. Cereals & porridge, plus a glass of milk with breakfast. Water with meals, milk afternoon tea. Then I made rice pudding, baked custard & bechamel sauce.  My ricoota for gnocchi used a lot. DH does a shake at the weekends, so it goes quickly, probaby around 15 litres last week, not so much this week, so far 5. I have 2 in the fridge unopened & have ordered 2, so maybe 11 ths week.

Also f friends come over & we drink lattes, that gets through a lot of milk.
H :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:12:08 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:03 am »
Total for week $98.48.

Loving the challenge, thank you everyone for joinng me, it makes me keen to stay on budget.

Yes bought some cheese. In the past $50 of nibbles without thinking would go in the trolley.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:57 am »
what would u spend normally H
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2012, 04:32:54 am »
Normally without thinking just buying whatever I saw on special and wanted between $250-$300per week.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 07, 2012, 04:35:03 am »
I spend about $160 per week for 4, but I cook for my parents as well about 4 times a week.
Then the fish and meat on top of that which is about $40 per week.
so $200 a week all up.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 07, 2012, 04:39:08 am »
Normally without thinking just buying whatever I saw on special and wanted between $250-$300per week.

u will have the house  paid off in no time if u keep it up, and i am sure you will 
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2012, 05:38:14 am »
So what is everyone going to do with the money saved each week.
Mine is going towards a holiday for us.

Robyn 8)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url