Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 795263 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2012, 08:32:22 am »
Merlin, I got goosebumps when I read your post. What an absolutely lovely thing to do :D :D

I wish more schools did things like that. It would help a lot of struggling families :-\

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35:34 am »
I agree everyone- we have an amazing and thoughtful school community which I am proud to be a part of. On a lighter note, all I can say is thank goodness the TM can do huge quantities of bechamel sauce for lasagnas and the like- makes short work of not having to stir stuff on the cooktop!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:50 am »
Where do you live Merlin? Ther are so many regulations and nay sayers and busybodies about these days it is a wonder that any charity work is allowed. More power to you and your community.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:34 am »
Gert- we're in bayside Melbourne and as far as I know this program has been running for some time. The name of the recipe,  date the food was cooked as well as a complete ingredient list is written on the lid and then a expiry date- usually 3 months. There have never been any cases of food poisoning and there are strict guidelines about what can and can't be included eg no nuts policy of the school etc. sometimes specific requests come up eg vegetarian, gluten free etc but usually any meal that is suitable for freezing eg pasta bakes, cakes, soups and curries are fine. There is definitely a demand for the meals as whenever the stocks are getting low in the freezer we are all asked to cook up another meal.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:54 am »
Gert- we're in bayside Melbourne and as far as I know this program has been running for some time. The name of the recipe,  date the food was cooked as well as a complete ingredient list is written on the lid and then a expiry date- usually 3 months. There have never been any cases of food poisoning and there are strict guidelines about what can and can't be included eg no nuts policy of the school etc. sometimes specific requests come up eg vegetarian, gluten free etc but usually any meal that is suitable for freezing eg pasta bakes, cakes, soups and curries are fine. There is definitely a demand for the meals as whenever the stocks are getting low in the freezer we are all asked to cook up another meal.

That is fantastic. Love it.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:01 am »
May I interrupt for a moment and ask if it is possible to cook muffins just in paper without a muffin tin thingy.

I have never  cooked muffins before but surprisingly have some paper things. I want to make  Quirks savoury muffins for the old bugger while he watches footy. Better than his usual Vegemite bread.

Can it be done withought making a mess.

Gert

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:59 am »
Yeah I am impressed with myself but have no idea what a menu plan is ;D I can tell you what we ate but  have no  idea.
Gert

I'm going to have to do the same. I used to menu plan when my girls were tiny.
Now it is whatever comes to mind and I have the ingredients.
And with the freezer and pantry clearout there may be some strange combos..
And I will have to write it down as by the next day I have forgotten what we had the day before.    :-))
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2012, 09:48:58 am »
May I interrupt for a moment and ask if it is possible to cook muffins just in paper without a muffin tin thingy.

I have never  cooked muffins before but surprisingly have some paper things. I want to make  Quirks savoury muffins for the old bugger while he watches footy. Better than his usual Vegemite bread.

Gert

pop them in a cup
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2012, 09:51:20 am »

Gert
Hi Gert.  I don't think it will work if they are the ordinary paper muffin things as they collapse  :(  and make a mess.  Been there done that and went out and bought several sizes of muffin tins so it didn't happen again.
Maybe if you use two for each muffin??   Or if you have the foil ones they would probably hold up.
Or put them together in a cake tin so they support one another.   ???
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2012, 09:56:11 am »
Thank you both. To Fundj I say duh how could I be so stupid. The mixture is done so in cups  they will go.

Thank you Rosie and uni.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:15 am »
RosieB, how nice to see your new avatar with GS.  A cutie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:20 am »
He is a cutie Rosie.

Gert

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2012, 10:46:57 am »
you're welcome Gert
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
No no to plastic cups though Gert. Just in case you didn't know. They make a mess when they melt in the oven :o

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:15 pm »
Shucks I wish you has told me earlier :P :P