Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 808177 times)

Mama Fergie

Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1650 on: November 02, 2012, 09:12:31 am »
Me too Astarra

I love the time I spend with my GD's.

So much fun,love and trust and unconditional  ;D

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #1651 on: November 02, 2012, 12:27:10 pm »
Yes my family is in the South Island.  We always fly into Queenstown so we cn have a few days to ourselves before going to see family. I love the area and Arrowtown etc.  so many beautiful wineries and restaurants and so much to do .  We enjoy walking around the area too usually but I managed to stuff up my ankle last month while on holiday at Broadbeach so won't be doing anything too active this time. I have really dodgy ankles :(
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Mama Fergie

« Reply #1652 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »
That's a shame about your ankle Jude and hope it gets better soon.  :( We love Queenstown too and try to get there twice a year. It's such a beautiful part of the world. We always feel so relaxed there and like you we enjoy the restaurants, wineries and the beautiful scenery.  I am taking my mum so long walks not on the agenda this trip. She loves Arrowtown so will drive there a few times and also over the Crown Range to Wanaka..  Hope you have a great time  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17:58 am »
I spent $200 today, normally $160..
But i bought 4 litres of olive oil, and 4 litres of EVOO for $40 ( $20 per bottle)

Thats is normal, for us.. :) :) :) :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:49 am »

given the amount of cooking - and the number of people you're cooking for, obbie - I'd say that was pretty good!!!!

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #1655 on: November 04, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »
It really does make a difference using what you have in the fridge/pantry/freezer etc. I was at one of my daughters the other day giving the kids breakfast and in the fridge was half a chicken, platter of cooked BBQ meats and a big bowl of pasta salad. Were they having any of that for dinner? No!  I told her yesterday that she shoud have frozen the cooked chicken and even the BBQ meats if they weren't  going to be used and eat the more perishable pasta salad. Grrrrrr there were at least three meals worth that ended up in the rubbish bin.  Am considering taking on the role of fridge police :) I guess though I should really be showing them what to do with leftovers and how you can convert most things into another different meal.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 04, 2012, 10:09:30 pm »
You would think that these days people would be trying  to minimise waste and become more frugal. I hate food waste more than any other waste. Whatever we do not eat or maybe won't eat or  I am sick of eating becomes dog food. I never throw even  the smallest amount of leftovers out  because there is always fritter or frittata  to be made .

With  Hallys challenge I have learned I can be even more frugal and eat well. Everyone should at least try it for a few weeks.

You never want to hear your daughter complain about the cost of feeding her family  Jude! ;D

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Wow Jude, what a waste.  I too hate food wastage more than anything.

1/2 a chicken, so much to do with that, the bq meats & pasta.yes sounds like you need to show her how to whip up another meal with left overs. I dont think I could throw that food out, maybe some still coukd be frozen.

I agree Gert, I have learnt how to be more frugal too.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 04, 2012, 11:00:55 pm »
Me too, all our main meal leftovers, we bring to work for lunches, like today.
Yesterday, I boiled up 12 eggs, to take to work. I have brought in cold roast meats, salads, fresh bread today.

My DH hates food waste.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Mama Fergie

« Reply #1659 on: November 04, 2012, 11:21:32 pm »
I hate food wastage too.
It's so unnecessary as leftovers can be eaten for lunch or turned into something different for another meal.
My dogs occasionally have some if there are no ingredients in the food that is not suitable for their health.
No need to throw away food

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 04, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »
Robyn sounds like you are having healthy lunches this week  :) What did you think of your new toy?

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:00 am »
Good on you Obbie. I have decided to use up our freezer meals this week. Hoping that this will keep on budget this week.

H :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 05, 2012, 12:57:08 am »
Loving my new toy,, trying to post photos, not much luck. will keep trying though. I want to post my bread I made too.

[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 05, 2012, 01:07:22 am »
Want to see photos :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:04 am »
I think we can talk about what you  are doing with you new toy but we can't compare so tell us  what and how you are making. And get them pics happening.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.