Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 808204 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1410 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:21 pm »
I think you did really well runaroundsue.  This week I spent  $98.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »
shopping tomorrow :D for me. Off to have breakie.. :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 01, 2012, 07:08:47 am »
Like Yvette, I follow this post and it has inspired me to think before I buy.
Tomorrow I am off on a machine knitter enthusiasts holiday for 5 days at a rather nice hotel so I am not buying anything (well that is to say outside of the holiday cost. ) I do rather fancy the upgraded machine knitting software which will be one of the demonstrations as well though. I wonder if it is backward compatible to my 32 bit computer or will I need a 64 bit computer too!  :-\ You can go on and on can't you?  :oMy savings on a weeks food for one is now beginning to look silly. ;D
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 01, 2012, 09:09:34 am »
I spent $86.11 this week even though the freezer is full of meat and ready prepared meals.  It was mainly on bulk items including coffee, toilet rolls etc plus fruit and veg and I couldn't believe the prices this past week of F & V so will make sure I go to a farmers' market next time. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1414 on: September 01, 2012, 02:47:47 pm »
Hally,  don't forget you also had a couple of blow ins last week.  We did eat very well.
Back on budget again.  $ 35 at farmers market today and $35 t supermarket.  This is for 10 for Fathers day lunch,  and visitors during the week.  All meat will be from freezer and I made lamb shank soup from Frozen shanks and last of the veggies.  Bought aa large bag of organic carrots for $5.  Some broken .  Will be making carrot cake, roast carrots, mashed carrots. And anything else I can get carrots into...Pasties, Spaghetti Bol, Sausage rolls.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 01, 2012, 11:11:23 pm »
Yes your right chookie, with us 3, my friends family & you 2, that was 8 for dinner one night.

I woukd have come in under budget if dh & I hadnt bought bread. I bought 2 loaves & dh bought rolls too, over half was binned as no-one liked the bread. $14 on bread which I would never spend now.

Happy Fathers Day everyone.

We are going to a friends who too have no family here for drinks & nibbles. I am now on my 0 spend week. So have had to think outside the square, normally I would have gone to the shop, bought assorted cheeses & crackers & spent a fair bit. Today
I am doing chicken wings, edc focaccia bread & whatever I can find to make a dip, 0 spend instead of around $40. :D :)

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

mcmich

« Reply #1416 on: September 02, 2012, 05:22:00 am »
Well done Hally. Shows that you don't have to spend a fortune to be hospitable.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 02, 2012, 05:36:54 am »
spent $160 this week on groceries.

Ice cream was on special..heaps of fruit, veges, strawberries, mixed fruit, flours ect.

:)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 02, 2012, 07:02:57 am »
Thanks Michele,

I had 12 chicken boomerang wings, so made 24 nibbles. Was going to make bread & dip, but decided that the adults woud get left with that while the kids all  all the chicken.

So more thinking & I have chookies  mozzarella & garlic filled  cheese slice. Got to be smart in many ways :) just waiti g for it to coe out of the ven.

Fantastic nibbles & no expenditure today :) very happy Hally :)

H :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:12 am »
Spent $160 again today, thats the norm. But that covers stuff for breakkie, lunch, dinner too.

Typo error $160 ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:13:32 am by obbie »

[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 09, 2012, 03:08:25 am »
$4160, wow that's a lot to spend in one week Robyn  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 09, 2012, 04:11:04 am »
obbie, thats huge ;D must be an error.

Sitting out by fhe pool, just about to do my menu plan for next week

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 09, 2012, 06:14:11 am »
OOps, Fixed it. $160 ;D

[/url

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 09, 2012, 12:53:10 pm »
I really need to get in on this  :-))

For many years I had the calculator at the supermarket watching every dollar but since bub #4 I just got really bad and tired of it. Lately I have spent around $250 a week for our family of 6. Ideally I'd love to get it down to $150. Being new to a TMX isn't helping though, do many new ingredients to buy and try!

I am excited because this week I should get some Squeeze'ems. For anyone with small children these are reusable pouches with a screw cap. My kids are difficult and will only eat yoghurt like this and I admit for the baby I have been buying smoothies and purées luke this because when we are out and about they are just fantastic for self feeding. Here is the link for anyone interested. This will save me money and wastage!
http://www.squeezeems.com/page/page/8581227.htm

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 10, 2012, 02:13:53 am »

For many years I had the calculator at the supermarket watching every dollar but since bub #4 I just got really bad and tired of it. Lately I have spent around $250 a week for our family of 6. Ideally I'd love to get it down to $150. Being new to a TMX isn't helping though, do many new ingredients to buy and try!

Becci, its great to do this challenge, i have just returned from Singapore for 3 nights 4 days, the hotel & flights were paid from my savings. For 2 weeks I fed 6 people for aroud $150per week.

Well having had such a great time away it makes the budget so worth while.  I think its a good idea to spoil ourselves with the savings as I am now even more determined to stay on track.