Author Topic: Australian Internet Shops, similar to Amazon?  (Read 5590 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Australian Internet Shops, similar to Amazon?
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:32:27 am »
I wonder if any of you wonderful Australian forum members can help me?  I'm looking for a couple of good internet shops where I can browse for gifts for the Australian contingent of my family.  I'm completely used to doing almost all of my shopping via Amazon, but Australia doesn't have its own Amazon, so it's all shipped from the States and often costs as much or more than the present  :-\

But there must surely be great sites IN Australia where postage is reasonable?  Presents might be the classic books and DVDs, etc, but also include toys, cooking gear - you name it.  So in the absence of Amazon I'd probably need to use several sites, I'm guessing.  Can you recommend any to me?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
Re: Australian Internet Shops, similar to Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »
Books:
Book Depository has free shipping worldwide
Amazon UK free shipping to Australia if you spend more than 25GBP
Fishpond.com.au

Cooking stuff:
Yourhomedepot.com.au
petersofkensington.com.au
victoriasbasement.com.au
everten.com.au
kitchenwaredirect.com.au

Oh.....peters and victorias basement also have display ware, like figurines and other stuff

DVDs/CDs:
Amazon UK as above
Bigw.com.au

Games (PS3/Wii/Xbox)
Dicksmith.com.au
ebgames.com.au

Toys:
This is tougher.......I do most of my toy shopping in stores like Kmart, BigW and Target as price wise they are pretty much the best bet.

Clothes:
Rivers.com.au (most men and women clothes and footwear often have a range on sale free shipping over $100)
crossroads.com.au (womens clothes - often have free shipping deals atm it is over $39 free shipping)
katies.com.au (women's clothes)
pumpkinpatch.com.au (kid's clothes - often have free shipping or discounts)

Most australian sites have quite reasonable shipping charges for australian delivery.

HTH

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:24:38 pm »
That's brilliant Amanda, thanks.

I could kick myself about Amazon.  I didn't know about the £25 deal, and my order was split on different days with the result that I've spent about £25 on postage.  Drat, if I'd known I could have ordered it all together and had free postage.  Oh well, you live and learn.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »
I think the amazon.uk deal is only for books cds dvd, and a few smaller things.  And it was going for a few months at a time, and they then changed it to be ending at the end of Oct 2012.  With amazon buying book depository, I am thinking they will probably keep this deal in place.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:59 pm »
Go Amanda N
 ;D

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:26 pm »
There is an Australian online bookstore that is very good, has great specials and reasonable postage (& is not owned by me or any of my family  ;)) Called Boomerang Books. It is owned by a local guy here in Adelaide & he is working hard to keep up with the competition.
http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/
I would urge you all to support an Aussie business!  :)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:39 am »
 :) I buy alot of pumpkin patch for my kids, great quality.
I have used it for the last 7 years, and all good results.

Charlieandmekids.com.au is good for clothes for kids too.
Robyn

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:17:53 am »
OMG Amanda you are a naughty school friend  ;D

I just looked at Peters Of Kensington and Your Home Depot and realised I better stop because I want just about everything  :D
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:26:11 am »
If you're after books REadings has free postage at the moment. I think it would be www.readings.com.au
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:37 am »
These are great tips, thanks so much.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:20:02 am »
If you are after a particular book try http://booko.com.au - they provide a comparison of online sellers, listed by total price (cost of book plus cost of shipping). I managed to get two of my textbooks for uni via Booko for a total of $50, with retail price almost $200!

It's also great if you are after books for yourself and are happy to have second hand. The other week I bought a book for only 65 pence, with $6 shipping.
Kerryn