Author Topic: Yoghurt starter  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Jackery11

• View Profile
Yoghurt starter
« on: December 08, 2013, 05:37:00 am »
Hi all!

I just got my machine today 'squeals'

We made he stock which is great!
Cos I can't wait until dinner to make my risotto I am attempting the yogurt. I have heard about a lot of fails and also a lot of great successes! What are some tips to make it work?
What is the best 'starter yoghurt' all I had in the fridge was a 'sweet and creamy Greek yoghurt' so I'll try that to start with but doubt I'll have much luck :(
I've also heard people saying that it is a bit sour or tangy, so any tips here will be hang too please

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Yoghurt starter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 09:38:29 am »
Probably the best posting to read (17 pages of it :D) is Faffa'a Best Yoghurt.Lots of advice there. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:41:06 am »
Hi Jackery, and welcome to the forum!

I make yoghurt so often that I know the recipe off by heart, and can't remember where I originally got it from, so apologies to the original poster.  :)

I measure 800 mls milk into TM bowl (have used both full cream and semi skimmed, but haven't tried skimmed), and add about 40g milk powder. Mix on speed 5 for a few seconds to combine, then cook at 90 degrees for 15 mins on speed 3.

When it has finished, take the lid off the bowl and leave to cool until temperature registers 37 degrees (I have forgotten sometimes and left it for too long, I just cook for a few minutes at 37 degrees to bring it back to temperature.) and then add about 100g live yoghurt and mix at speed 5 for a few seconds to combine. I use a pot set yoghurt for the first time, then use some of the previous batch when I make more. I have kept it going like this for over a year sometimes, but if the yoghurt starts to taste sour or doesn't thicken properly, I buy a new starter.

With the starter added, cook for 2 mins on 37 degrees at speed 3, then pour mixture into an Easy-yo container. Fill the thermos with lukewarm water, pop in the container of yoghurt and leave overnight to set.  This always results in a thick and creamy natural yoghurt, then I add chopped nuts or fruit purées to the finished yoghurt.

If you don't have an Easy-yo thermos, you can set the yoghurt in the thermoserver, but I haven't tried this.

Hope this helps,

Sue  :)
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline TM Essentials

• View Profile
    • TM Essentials - Accessories for your Thermomix
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:38:22 am »
We make yoghurt regularly using the Jalna yoghurts as a starter. You can thicken yoghurt by adding powdered milk and the more starter you use the tangy your yoghurt.
We are the experts for accessories for your Thermomix. From spatulas, cleaning brushes to carry bags. Visit us today at www.tm-essentials.com.au. TM Esssentials is not associated with Vorwerk
https://www.tm-essentials.com.au    https://www.facebook.com/TM.Essentials

Offline YvonneBr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:39:13 am »
Hi Jackery,
I treid it out yesterday. I used semi skimmed milk ( not fresh milk but the one you van keep for months) and skimmed yoghurt. I got a very rich, creamy yoghurt with a mild taste. Love it!

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:39:37 am »
I make 2 litres of yoghurt at a time. I use powdered skim milk which you mix in water, 1/4 cup milk powder to 1 cup of water.
I cook the milk for 30 minutes on 90deg speed 3. Let it cool in bowl to 37 deg, add starter ( approx 6 Tblspns). Mix for 5 secs speed 5. Cook for 10 mins 37deg, speed3. Tip into Thermo server or something similar and leave to stand for at least 8 hours. Tip into a suitable container remembering to keep enough in a separate container for your next starter, and then keep in fridge.
I bought a set of thermal bowls from my local IGA store. They have locking lids and are fantastic, they were priced at $50 for a set of 4.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:45:53 am »
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous post, I used a low fat Greek natural yoghurt as a starter. :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »
It is good to read of the success members are having with yoghurt.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/