Author Topic: Yummy Crumpets  (Read 43861 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Yummy Crumpets
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:14 am »
Name of Recipe: Yummy Crumpets
Number of People: Depends on size made & appetite - at least 2 very hungry people (hopefully 8 - 10)
Ingredients:

375g bakers flour
1/2 tsp caster sugar
1 heaped tsp dried yeast
about 300ml tepid milk  (you may need more - see the comments below !!!)
about 200ml tepid water (you may need more - see the comments below !!!)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
4 egg rings
Oil for greasing

Preparation:

Place 1 Tbsp of the flour, sugar and yeast into TM bowl with 100ml of the milk into the Thermomix bowl. Set to mix for 3 minutes at 37°C on speed 2. The mixture should start to become frothy.

Add remaining flour, milk, water, egg and salt. Mix for 10 seconds on speed 7.

The mixture should resemble a thick batter rather than a bread mix. Add some more tepid water and mix again at speed 7 if necessary. Then mix for 8 minutes at 37°C on speed 1.

Leave the mixture in the TM bowl to prove for about 1 hour or until the surface bubbles.

Add the bicarb soda and gradually increase the speed to beat at the mixture for 2 minutes at speed 5.

Oil the egg rings and frypan. Place the rings in the pan and heat for 1-2 minutes.

Pour batter into each ring and cook for 5 minutes, or until the surface has dried and is full of holes. You may need to puncture a few holes for visual effect if you like. Lift off the rings and turn the crumpets to cook on the other side for a minute or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Clean and oil rings and frypan and repeat process until all batter has been used.

Serve warm with butter and your favourite topping.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

The leftovers (ha ha ha !!) may be frozen with pieces of baking paper between crumpets and toasted as needed.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:27:25 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Dean

• View Profile
Re: Yummy Crumpets
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:20:41 am »
We had moderate success with these.  The mixture was probably too thick - more like a very soft dough than a thick batter.  We were able to save the day by cutting the crumpets in half and toasting them - very yummy though!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:51:11 am »
I made these a couple of weeks ago and they were great!!  The kids were a little sceptical about home-made crumpets, but scoffed the lot.  I ate mine with Tenina's Lemon Butter and was very happy!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:01:22 am »
We had moderate success with these.  The mixture was probably too thick - more like a very soft dough than a thick batter.  We were able to save the day by cutting the crumpets in half and toasting them - very yummy though!

thanks for the feedback Dean.  I had mixed success with the first batch or two or three, and the amount of milk/water is "liquid" as it seems to vary - maybe with the flour, ambient temp ??  Don't really know what the varianble may be, but now I know what thickness the batter has to be so add more water if needed (start a bit on the thicker side so you can add water).  The first ones were toooo watery and dribbled out under the rings.

Also, started adding bicarb after seeing it in a recipe from UK and this helps increase the number of bubbles.

Usually they go pretty quickly even if not 100% when you put sime butter and honey (or your fav topping). 

Keep experimenting, they will work - pictures are there to prove I did do it  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 05:22:51 am »
You are all very clever. I only have 6 more sleeps until my TMX arrives now. I'm getting very inspired by all these delicious looking things you are all making.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:30:12 am »
Made my first batch of these today, not altogether a success as the batter was far to thick.  Will try more liquid next time.  They tasted great despite looking a bit odd

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:35:47 pm »
Thanks Karen - it may well be that the four I used had more moisture - but I have added a note to say that you may need more water and milk.

Thanks for being brave and trying these - they probably looked more like muffins.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 03:12:54 pm »
Darn.. now I have to try them...  :P
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 03:51:34 pm »
Worth trying!!  ;D We have great success with them
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 01:22:45 am »
Thanks Karen - it may well be that the four I used had more moisture - but I have added a note to say that you may need more water and milk.

Thanks for being brave and trying these - they probably looked more like muffins.

They did indeed look like muffins :)

Karen

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 01:26:28 am »
Ok... mix is proving... LOL
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.

musingnmayhem

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 01:59:59 am »
Ok... mix is proving... LOL

Ah can see I have tempted you too strongly :).  I intend to have another go if I can ever pry the thermomix from DD2 who is currently making ice cream and is determined to experiment as much as possible.

Karen

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 02:30:37 am »
I have successfully added more liquid even after proving has finished and it still turned out thicker than I thought it was going to be - you can rescue them lol ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 03:37:13 am »
Ok... thought I stuffed them up.. but oh wow!!!

Yummy!!  ;D  Must have fluked it! LOL

Thanks Thermomixer!!

musingnmayhem

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:49:26 am »
Ok this one is going straight to the pool room LOL I mean recipe bookmark folder for "to try as soon as TMX is ordered and received' yummo homemade crumpets  ;D without the nasty 282 preservative (banned in some countries) in it like the bought variety here in AUS
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net