Author Topic: Apple sauce  (Read 13606 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Apple sauce
« on: May 19, 2009, 10:17:31 am »
Here's the apple sauce recipe I've modified from the recipe book

Ingredients:

4 granny smith apples
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Calvados (apple brandy)
Strip of lemon zest
1/4 cup water
Grinding of black pepper
30g butter

Blitz the strip of lemon zest and sugar on 9
Peel the apples and quarter, removing the core and add to the TMX with the water
Chop on speed 4 for 30 seconds
Add remaining ingredients and mix on speed 4 at 90 C for 8 minutes
Blend on 8 for 30 seconds

Lovely, fluffy apple sauce.  Alice from the Brady Brunch would be proud

Thoughts

Although I liked the apple/water recipe, I think there's an extra dimension and smoothness if butter is added.  Apple and pork is one of those Northern European standards some of us have brought with us to Australia.  You could modify this sauce endlessly, using apple cider or white wine instead of Calvados, or adding a dried apricot.  A little bit of cinnamon would go well too.  I am having this with a pork loin, but I am still in search of a method to get the crackling right - any suggestions?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Apple sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:34:04 am »
oh that sounds so good! i wish i wasn't the only one in my family who liked pork & apple!!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »

Lovely, fluffy apple sauce.  Alice from the Brady Brunch would be proud

Thoughts

Being one of the Brady Bunch I think she would possibly think it to be a bit too posh with Calvados and butter, but I love the combination - good work.

Although I liked the apple/water recipe, I think there's an extra dimension and smoothness if butter is added. 

Definitely better mouthfeel with butter  - although I find that things blitzed in the TMX at speeds 9 or 10 seem to affect the taste buds in a way that fools them into believing there is cream or butter in the mix - especially with some of the soups that end up like a velouté.  The pea one springs to mind.

Apple and pork is one of those Northern European standards some of us have brought with us to Australia.  You could modify this sauce endlessly, using apple cider or white wine instead of Calvados, or adding a dried apricot.  A little bit of cinnamon would go well too. 

All great suggestions! 

I am having this with a pork loin, but I am still in search of a method to get the crackling right - any suggestions?

Somebody has probably written a book on that subject.  You need to induce third degree burns.  Dry heat is best - so no water etc in the oven dish until you hear the popping, then put some in to help keep it moist and prevent burning in base of the pan.   Best to shock it with really hot oven, but as Simon says in the Cook and the Chef, it is hard with many domestic ovens.   The pizza oven may be the go.  A link to the C&C episode is http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1937577.htm

Sometimes I just cut it off and put it in the oven by itself or under the grill to make the crakling.  You can buy pork rind, at least we can down here, and practice in the pizza oven. 

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:56:19 pm »
Thanks for the pork tips TM.  I might try in the regular oven, which has a pretty intense dry fan forced function.  I think the prob last night was most of the heat was absorbed by the veges underneath the pork, so they got third degree burns while the pork escaped.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:26 am »
Pork cracking is indeed, an art and in this house it is always hit or miss.  Sometimes it is great, others it just doesn't work.  DH and most men I know, absolutely love it and is very disappointed if it doesn't work.  The weber does a pretty good job though I must admit and I usually get at least some, if not all of it done properly.  Had a roast pork meal at a hotel one day and DH asked if he could have some crackling - was told they don't do it as there wouldn't be enough for everyone so it is better not to have any at all ??? ??? ??? My view is first come first served - how could you waste the crackling?  It couldn't have worked for them that day is more likely the case.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:06:16 am »
I have been told by a chef that crackling is harder to get these days because of the new leaner pork.
Often not enough fat to help it along.
I must admit, I do find most lean cuts of pork to be too dry and not as much fun as they used to be!!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:12:12 am »
Good point Amanda, there isn't the same amount of fat under the rind nowadays when I think about it so that has to be the problem.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:48:23 am »
Stephanie Alexander gives a long description involving boiling water, vinegar, salt, multiples bastings - I'll give it another try when I'm feeling piggy

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 01:44:42 am »
I have been told by a chef that crackling is harder to get these days because of the new leaner pork.
Often not enough fat to help it along.
I must admit, I do find most lean cuts of pork to be too dry and not as much fun as they used to be!!

I was told the same about the fat and crackling, but think that the skin and not the fat is what puffs up - so not sure - will have to get some rind and remove all fat then try.  Had crunchy parmesan bits cooked in the microwave while away - may need to look at what it does to pork rind - probably nothing  :-\ :-\

With the lean pork I find that you really do need lower temps to cook them, even steam or cook in zip-lock bags in simmering water until frim then short blast on grill or pan to brown.  Thought that I had posted here about using the Varoma for heating meat, but looks like it was on the blog - http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/2009/04/using-varoma-to-gently-cook-meat.html.  There is a pic of some pork that I did and it was so moist and tender (honest)

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.