Author Topic: Orange Mousse  (Read 6710 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Orange Mousse
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:23:03 am »
This light and refreshing dessert can be served in Orange cups or in small dishes. To serve in the Orange cups takes longer to prepare but is a spectacular dessert , with very few calories.

Inspiration for the dish was from 'a cookbook for Diabetics"

This is best made day before required. 6/8 ORANGES REQUIRED FOR THIS DISH.

ORANGES, 4 for the cups with tops sliced off, these will form lids.
Slice small disk off base, to allow cups to sit upright.
Remove the orange flesh inside each cup and place in TMX bowl , Zap to a pulp.
Push through strainer. Make up to 300mls. with extra orange juice.

Wash bowl, add ORANGE JUICE, 2 EGGS, artificial sweetener, (equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar)Place Butterfly in bowl and whisk at speed 4 for 20 seconds.
Add 200g. plain low fat YOGHURT, whisk at speed 3 for 10 seconds

Dissolve 2 teaspoons of GELATINE POWDER in 3 Tablespoons of HOT WATER.
Add to TMX bowl and zap to incorporate.

1 additional orange segmented and cut into cubes. Zest by hand and chop until fine. Add to bowl with orange yoghurt mix. DON'T ZAP.
Pour into Orange cups, 3/4 fill. (any remaining mix can be set in small dishes)

TOPPING.

Squeeze juice from 1 ORANGE and make into 1 cup of liquid with water.
Dissolve 1 packet of low/no sugar ORANGE JELLY CRYSTALS in 1 cup of boiling WATER.
Add orange / water mix to jelly crystal mix. set aside to set.

When Mousse and Jelly are set, using a fork, scrape up jelly and place on top of cups.
Place lids on to serve.

Members' comments
knittercook- Sounds lovely Chookie, just wondering if it could be served in one large bowl? Need a dessert to take for a bbq tomorrow and this would be perfect.

Chookie - Knittercook.  I think it would be better in some of those small plastic cups.  It is a very soft set Mousse.  You could add another teaspoon of gelatine.  This would probably firm it up.  It is perfect for a hot day and I sat down and wrote out the recipe to set in individual cups as the orange cups look great but are a fiddle.    This is what I came up with........................
300mls.  Orange Juice
2 eggs,  (these are NOT cooked)
Sweetener to equal 1 teaspoon of sugar
200g,  low-fat yoghurt

Whisk all in TMX

Then add 2 (or 3 for a firm set) teaspoons of powdered gelatine ,  dissolved in 3 Tablespoons of  hot water.
Whisk again.  Add cubed segments of 1 orange and finely chopped rind of 1 orange.  Stir by hand.

Make  Orange jelly using juice of one orange and rind of one orange,  Make it up to 2 cups with boiling water.

Hope this makes sense.

knittercook - I made it as you described using 3 tsps of gelatine to ensure that the base set, and it worked beautifully.  The first photo is of the base and the second with the jelly to complete the dessert.  A very yummy dessert for those who can't have sugar or in my case don't really like sweet sickly desserts. This would serve 8 - 10.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:39:38 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Mousse
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:54 am »
Lovely idea Chookie, another good one for those having to be careful what they eat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:22 pm »
Sounds lovely Chookie, just wondering if it could be served in one large bowl? Need a dessert to take for a bbq tomorrow and this would be perfect.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:52:57 am »
Knittercook.  I think it would be better in some of those small plastic cups.  It is a very soft set Mousse.  You could add another teaspoon of gelatine.  This would probably firm it up.  It is perfect for a hot day and I sat down and wrote out the recipe to set in individual cups as the orange cups look great but are a fiddle.    This is what I came up with........................
300mls.  Orange Juice
2 eggs,  (these are NOT cooked)
Sweetener to equal 1 teaspoon of sugar
200g,  low-fat yoghurt

Whisk all in TMX

Then add 2 (or 3 for a firm set) teaspoons of powdered gelatine ,  dissolved in 3 Tablespoons of  hot water.
Whisk again.  Add cubed segments of 1 orange and finely chopped rind of 1 orange.  Stir by hand.

Make  Orange jelly using juice of one orange and rind of one orange,  Make it up to 2 cups with boiling water.

Hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:32:51 am by achookwoman »

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:02:10 am »
thanks chookie, I will try it with a bit more gelatne and see how it turns out, will let you know  :)
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:22 am »
Hmm, I just went into the kitchen to make this and ended up making a blueberry jelly instead.  Now how did that happen?!

I'll try again next week.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:30:55 am »
Caroline,  don't know about blueberry ;D. Lemon might be nice.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:31:28 am »
I made it as you described using 3 tsps of gelatine to ensure that the base set, and it worked beautifully.  The first photo is of the base and the second with the jelly to complete the dessert. 

A very yummy dessert for those who can't have sugar or in my case don't really like sweet sickly desserts  :-\

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:00:22 am »
Thanks knitter cook.  What a great effort.  good sweet for the hot weather.  Like you ,  I don't like my desserts too sweet.  Can't wait for the Meyer lemons to ripen.  How many would this serve?

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »
I would say at least 8 - 10 chookie, less if you eat a big bowl full  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 03:27:19 am »
knittercook, you inspired me to make some in a dish..    Much. Easier than in the orange shells.  Will see if the family like it,,, I hope they don't. ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 05:22:08 am »
I want to make some candied peel so if I make this I can use up lots of orange juice. Thanks Chookie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:38:30 am »
Cookie,  that's exactly what I did.

;D
I want to make some candied peel so if I make this I can use up lots of orange juice. Thanks Chookie.