Author Topic: Apricot chicken risotto review  (Read 16553 times)

Offline auds

• View Profile
Apricot chicken risotto review
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:28:04 pm »
I know this review has been started but I checked 23 pages twice and cant find it!  If somebody can move this it would be great

Tried the ACR tonight. Exactly to the recipe. It was ok but chicken was a bit overcooked while rice was undercooked.  Flavour was a bit bland but it was good for me as a trial run. Kid and hubby not overly impressed.

Would I cook it again?  probably not without tweaking

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Apricot chicken risotto review
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »
Auds I found this review posted by UYas on 18th April 2010 amongst other reviews of hers/his.

Recipe Name: Apricot Chicken Risotto Style
Book Name: Everyday Cooking for Every Family p.86
Tweaking details: Only a little change here. If you are diabetic and are trying to avoid High GI foods, I suggest swapping 200g of Doongarra Rice (instead of 300g Arborio). You still get that risotto type feel and I find 200g is plenty for this recipe.
Review: This was quite sweet with the apricot nectar so I wouldn't make it that often as a diabetic. I am not sure whether the rest of the ingredients lowers the GI enough. But anyhoo....
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »
Auds, this was the 6th recipe I tried after my TMX came to live with me.  I have made notes on that page 'a bit bland, add chilli and bacon for more flavour' but have never tried it since. I tend to not go back to disappointing recipes.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:54:27 pm »
I also have tweeked this recipe. I cook my chicken drummies in the oven with apricot nectar poured over them and then just make apricot rissotto. It is alot nicer that way  :-X
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:38:18 pm »
Hi Judydawn.  Yes I did find that but I couldnt seem to add to it - I clicked everything within the box.  I think it was a good starting point for me.  Its the first recipe where I have remembered to put the MC on and everything didnt go flying out!   :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:29:22 am »
It's a big learning curve auds, you learn something everytime you use the TMX.  Try some of the recipes from the forum, they usually have a review or a tweak and are usually pretty reliable.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 01:24:37 am »
I cant wait to try the recipes from the forum.  I am going to do the creamy salami and tomato pasta tonight.

I also cant wait to try and convert some of my own recipes once I feel more confident

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »
I made this tonight and found it quite delicious! I have run out of veggie stock, so used Aromat, a powdered seasoning. I didn't change anything, other than green capsicum rather than red because that's all I had. Though next time I'd use a bit of wine instead of all water.

DH hates risotto and ate it all without a comment.

I didn't use the MC, I wasn't sure whether to or not, but there was no mention of it in the recipe. I used Santa Vittoria Apricot Nectar. It comes in gorgeous little bottles. I only had 2 x 125 ml bottles, so that's all I used.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:53:52 am »
I made this again yesterday, just to the recipe, and found it delicious.  No tweaking necessary.  The fresh herbs - thyme and parsley - we did not stint - added a gorgeous flavour, the fresh ginger, capsicum, fresh peas, carrots as well we the apricot nectar and the chicken - mmmmmmm.  For those who found the flavour bland, were you happy with your veg stock concentrate and the salt you chose?  I can only encourage readers to try this as is - a real winner, in my opinion.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 06:56:20 am »
I think the big tweak needed with this recipe is to add the chicken much later.  If you add it with 6 minutes to go it will be cooked to perfection rather than being stringy and overcooked.  :)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:19:04 am »
OK, Chelsea, you speak with authority.  Next time I make it, I'll try it your way.  Thanks.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:13 am »
I now add 1 TBSP Dry French Onion Soup Mix and 1 TBSP curry powder to add some flavour.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 06:26:15 am »
Am I the only one to think that Chicken & apricots just don't belong together  ???  Blerk!  ;D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »
I used to enjoy it 'in the old days' Maddy when food was so much less interesting than it is today - don't know that I would bother with it these days though.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 01:19:55 pm »
Am I the only one to think that Chicken & apricots just don't belong together  ???  Blerk!  ;D
I agree Maddy. Its in the same category as sausages and sultanas for me.. Blerk!  ;D