Author Topic: Upright or chest freezer?  (Read 7420 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Upright or chest freezer?
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:36 pm »
Ok now.................
Don't go rushing out and buying a freezer after reading this thread  :D ( based on the pie maker thread lol)
I really just want to hear opinions on the pros and cons of the two types of freezers as I am planning on a getting a chest freezer, I think.....
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Upright or chest freezer?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »
consider the cost of electricity of running a second freezer first and foremost...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »
I have a chest freezer, its hard to find things, what I want, is always at the bottom of the freezer so I have to take lots out to get to it, it has a basket that I store all the small things in, stock paste, left over meals, frozen veg. I store all my extra's in the chest freezer. You can pack a lot into the chest freezer mine is a smallish one, we went 4ths in a whole cow, and it fitted in fine with room to spare, we vac sealed it as we packed it, nice flat packs and the meat will keep longer. I don't know a lot about uprights, I have always wondered if the hold as much as a chest freezer.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »
Hard Question.  I have both. You can store more in a chest freezer, but more difficult to easily access.  Upright, easy to manage but less goodies.  After being impressed with Hally's efforts !  I have been trying to emptying my chest freezer, without much success.  Probably go for upright in the end.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:06:06 pm »
I had a huge chest freezer in the far past but did some severe damage to my back which laid me up for a months back in the late '60s when I was young and quite strong.
While I was in the hospital my husband went out and bought an upright and since then I've never had anything else, except for freezer drawers, which are shallow and handy in the kitchen.

For small to medium sized items I have baskets which facilitate dating things.  New items similar to those already there are put in the back so the older ones are moved to the front.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:43:12 am »
Upright  for me  ;D i am to lazy for a chest freezer.
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 12:58:02 am »
Upright for me, I dont think they hold as much but it's all visible and nothing gets pushed to the back.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:20 am »
Being shortish, I could never reach the bottom of a chest freezer I had many years ago so I had to devise a way to make things easier for myself.  That was to put all the different cuts of meat in their own heavy duty plastic bag which I could then just lift out without falling into the freezer.  I don't know if they are frost free now but mine wasn't and it was a devil of a job to defrost when you couldn't reach the bottom.  I would never have that type again even though they do hold a lot more than uprights.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 01:15:05 am »
 ;D

Thats  what happened with one of my kids ( fall in )can t remember which one lol ,JD
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 01:43:24 am »
 :) I have 3 chest freezers, and they hold a lot.
Mum has a upright freezer, but easier for them, as they get older.

Robyn

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 05:20:18 am »
We have an upright but take a chest freezer (small) when we go to Monkey Mia. I hate it as I can't reach the bottom. We put things into shopping bags so that we can pull out what we need. eg the blue bag has the frozen casseroles in and the red bag has the frozen bread rolls etc.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 07:32:23 am »
Judy and Cookie ,  that is how I cope with my chest freezer.  evert thing in bage or boxes and a card system to tell me what is where.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 07:50:23 am »
Another one in favour of uprights.  Have heard a few people being unhappy with the chest ones as like others have said stuff gets left at the bottom. 

I bought a new one last year that has drawers so it holds lots.  I keep a record of what I put in each drawer so I can easily find what I'm looking for.  Also being frost fee means no defrosting ever.   :D

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:51:09 am »
In Australia we had a small bar sized upright freezer that was wonderful.  No room in Germany though.  I did find it a pain having it out in the garage as one would often lose track of what one had.  I wish I was an organized person who labelled and dated everything... Never going to happen!

Xxx ;D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:00:03 pm »
Hmm interestingthanks for your feedback everyone. Off to think and measure the space.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net