Author Topic: "Oh, I could never spend $2000" and other such gems!  (Read 15647 times)

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
"Oh, I could never spend $2000" and other such gems!
« on: June 14, 2012, 12:39:55 am »
So, since having my thermomix and talking about it with various people, I get lots of different comments about the cost side of things.  Usually along the lines of "I could never justify spending $2000 on a kitchen appliance".  Usually I don't bother replying with a comeback but upon further thought that statement is kind of a thinly veiled dig at me (not sure whether that is intended  by them or not).  It makes it sound like I'm either stupid, or I've just got lots of money.

So, wanting to hear stories from others about silly or annoying things people say to you about the thermomix.  And also what are some of the things you say to them in response to their remarks.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: "Oh, I could never spend $2000" and other such gems!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:59:50 am »
Oh yeah I have heard that. My usual reply is that envy is a curse and  I laugh loudly.  Who cares? You could say, "Boy am I stupid and isn't it great I can afford to be?" then laugh and say envy is a curse.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

jakodai

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:01:04 am »
The people I've told about my thermomix know that is something I've wanted for a couple of years now, and they know how much I enjoy cooking so the only person I've had comments about regarding the cost is someone who I work with who told me that I'm always spending money - it wasn't a dig at the actual price but more at my spending. When I first told people that I wanted one, they told me that I was crazy but over the past couple of years I haven't really stopped talking about it and I think everyone around me (ie: close friends and family) have realized that while they might not see the value in it, I do. If I know someone is going to over react to the price I don't bother telling them about it - they're probably not that into cooking to appreciate it's value anyway.

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:03:11 am »
Hi AliRo
I know what you mean about that comment, I hear it loads too!  The thing I find amusing is the people who say that to me in 1 sentence and then start talking about their latest hi-fi they just had to have despite the fact they had a perfectly good one already!
Or think nothing of spending $300 on a meal at a restaurant.
I guess everybody has different priorities.  We have ancient 12 year old television and stereo units and don't have an i-phone or an i-pad or anything like that.  I cut my kids hair myself, we don't buy takeaways, I make my own cleaning products, I buy mostly second hand clothes and toys, I don't buy any skincare products, I don't even buy sanitary items (love my Mooncup!  I think we have had that discussion before!)  We live a very basic, simple life with not much in the way of luxuries and not even much in the way of what some people consider essentials ........ except my Thermomix.  I would have to be absolutely destitute to give it up - I look at it as an investment in my family's health and of my time spent in the kitchen.

Offline lauzzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:15:18 am »
Those people who wouldn't spend $2000 would happily spend $800 on a KitchenAid that doesn't do anything but mix.   Our Thermies do just about everything.  I am sure most of us probably don't use all the other appliances sitting in the cupboard anymore and I bet the prices of all those unused appliances add up.  I am very happy in my decision to spend that money and the best bit is that I ACTUALLY use Thermy EVERY day lol....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:31:57 am »
Everyone lives their lives the way the want (and so they should) so there are always going to be those who hate cooking and therefore could never justify spending $2000 on a machine.  They probably have large TV's in a few rooms and DH has every conceivable electronic gadget going plus have expensive holidays every year. The TMX can be purchased by just not having one holiday one year and it keeps on keeping on.  We all have priorities - we think ours are right and they think theirs are.  That's why this group of people on our forum get on so well - we have the same priorities and understand each other. I just let the machine do the talking, the proof is in the pudding and everyone knows the food they are served here is cooked in it and that I use it every day so they know I am getting my money's worth from it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:48:45 am »
Well said JD. My brother and SIL are very much into photography and have cameras worth well over $2000.00
That's their hobby and they enjoy it, I enjoy cooking and my TMX very much.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:27 am »
Agree JD.
My husband thinks my thermomix is like a tool, I love it, I use it daily and look after it. ( He said along as I use it, he also says every household should have one..)

Same as he has lifting tongs, cranes, 3 generators, drills, whatever he needs.
he uses them, looks after them, and all are in very good condition.

Like our cars are all used, and looked after very well.

Robyn
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:06:40 am by obbie »
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline lauzzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:12 am »
I honestly think the key to getting your full money's worth is having it on the bench top.    I made a conscious decision that if I was going to spend that much money then I would have it on the bench top in a very convenient spot (I even moved my kettle lol).... and that I would use it for at least 1 thing every day.   

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:08:37 am »
 They probably have large TV's in a few rooms and DH has every conceivable electronic gadget going plus have expensive holidays every year.

are you sure you i haven't met frank  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:10:57 am by judydawn »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:12:01 am »
Ha ha, I thought of your household whilst I was posting that Uni but you have a TMX so it doesn't apply to you.  I would love to meet your Frank though  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 02:21:40 am »
I thought you were talking about Frank too.  ;D
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 02:22:18 am »
Most people I know have heard of or seen a Thermomix in action so it's not so much a "why would you" as a "wish I could" conversation! I know they would get one if they could, they see the value but just don't have the $$$ at the moment.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:22 am »
Same as he has lifting tongs, cranes, 3 generators, drills, whatever he needs.
he uses them, looks after them, and all are in very good condition.

That was my main bargaining tool in convincing my DH to let me spend the money on a TMX.  He's always buying tools but he's a builder so he justifies it that the money he spends on tools helps him to earn money.

I told him that part of my 'job' as a SAHM was to provide healthy meals for our family, so the TMX is my tool.

My Mum (who is a consultant) told me that when people say to her "$2000 is a lot of money" she replies along the lines of "compared to what".  Are you comparing it to a regular food processor?  Because it's not the same as a regular food processor.  You can easily spend $2000 on on oven/cooktop and people don't think twice, but really it only has a couple of functions.  Is it just becauyse it's small that it seems expensive?

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:03:17 am »
I just say "each to their own" Or "you too could own one if you put away $40.00 per week for a year"

In the scheme of things it sounds expensive but just giving up 1 take away meal each week will pay for a TM.  Why would you have take away when you can have a beautiful risotto in 20 minutes.  It takes us longer to drive to the takeaway shop.