Author Topic: Thai Prawn and pumpkin soup  (Read 17009 times)

Offline auds

• View Profile
Thai Prawn and pumpkin soup
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »
Name of Recipe: Thai pumpkin and prawn soup
Number of People:4

Ingredients: 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp red curry paste
4 cups pumpkin (chopped)
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp palm sugar  (grated in TM first)
1 tbsp fish sauce
24 prawns (raw , shelled and deveined)
half cup thai basil chopped
3 kaffir lime (leaves finely shredded)  

Preparation:

Place oil, 80mls coconut milk and red curry paste in TM - Cook on 90 for 7 min speed spoon

Add pumpkin and stock and cook on 100 - speed spoon - 20 mins - MC OFF

Blitz for 10 sec speed 7

Add palm sugar and fish sauce - blitz for 3 sec speed 7

Add rest of coconut milk and prawns and cook 100 reverse speed spoon for 3 mins (depending on size of prawns) mine were average size.

Season with salt to taste

serve topped with Thai basil and kaffir lime leaves

Tips/Hints:

This was really good - probably one of the best I have converted - I marinated my prawns in olive oil, garlic and chilli beforehand - my prawns when cooked were about the size of a 20c coin.
The original recipe called for 400ml coconut milk but I wanted a thicker consistency.

Members' comments

Kulsha - Thanks Auds, I made this tonight and it was delicious!!  I used the red curry paste from the EDC.

Kulsha - Made this again, it is awesome!!!  We didn't have prawns but added some shredded roast chicken and torn basil leaves to the bowls before ladling the hot soup on top - tasted so much like a laksa with only a fraction of the effort!

Rotorchef - used green curry paste, butternut pumpin and poured the soup over some noodles. Delicious!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:23:44 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Prawn and pumpkin soup
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »
Sounds nice Auds - I quite like a Thai flavoured pumpkin soup and who doesn't like prawns  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:52:09 pm »
Thanks Auds, I made this tonight and it was delicious!! 
I used the red curry paste from the EDC.
10/10
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:44 am »
Made this again for lunch today, it is awesome!!!  We didnt have prawns but added some shredded roast chicken and torn basil leaves to the bowls before ladling the hot soup on top - tasted so much like a laksa with only a fraction of the effort! 
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:39:11 am »
Have just printed this out - looking forward to making this lovely sounding soup now that the weather seems to be cooling down a bit!!  Thanks auds!! :-*

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 03:23:46 pm »
Hey everyone,

Well the TMX self taught goddess has gone on her jolly holidays (Tenerife) which means I get to play all by myself  ;D

There were a few things lurking in the bottom of the fridge that really needed using up and I desperately wanted to continue my tinkering with the TMX. Part of the biggest problem that I have is actually settling on a recipe to follow and cook as there are so many good looking and sounding things that I want to make.

Anyway, this is what I settled on for my dinner and I was really looking forward to making it as I love Thai based food actually I would eat it every night given the option.

So, I head to the fridge to get all the ingredients together already knowing that I was going to use a butternut squash rather than 'traditional' pumpkin. This wouldn't be a problem and actually adds a nice spin on the whole recipe.

Hhhhmmm there was no red curry paste. OK, maybe I should check the fridge and cupboard ahead of settling on a recipe - Doh!!!! :-))

No bother, I managed to find some green Thai curry paste instead - phew.

So, the recipe was now going to be a green thai and butternut squash curry, close enough for government work I thought as it was me who was going to eat it and I hadn't advertised to anyone what I was making so it didn't really matter.  ;)

The remainder of the menu was followed (except for the sugar), and I added a couple of birds eye  chillies for that extra kick. All going well right until I rubbed my eyes. OMG OMG OMG....will I ever learn? How many times will I handle these miniature torture products without using disposable gloves ???

Well, much strained focussing on the TMX numbers through tear welled eyes eventually led to something that smelled amazing and actually looked, well I think it did as I couldn't really see anything if honest.

I chose to prepare some noodles too and then sort of 'drizzle' the soup mixture over the top, hence you can't see them - the final product ended up looking as per the picture attached. Damn it was tasty even if I do say so myself.

There was only one problem - the menu suggested that this was sufficient for four (4) people. Well by the time I had finished stuffing my piggy chops there was nothing left for the prospective remaining 3. I fear portion control is going to be an ongoing issue for me with some of these recipes!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, even if I didn't follow it to the letter.

TTFN

RC
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:51 pm »
Your soup looks lovely RC :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 12:29:01 am »
RC, that looks good.  One of our early members said to not do a recipe because you don't have the correct ingredients and many of use that advice nowadays. Tweaking and substituting ingredients to use up what we have in the fridge/pantry/freezer is the way to go as you are finding out very quickly.  Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and reviewing our recipes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 02:37:16 am »
Good going Rotochef, my DP wouldn't put his finger near "that machine".   But he loves the food that comes from it., he is strictly  a camp fire cook,  :D

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 09:58:46 am »
Am trying out soup recipes from the Forum.  I made this tonight. Delicious especially with the marinated prawns.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 01:11:16 am »
Made this last night for dinner with 500g of roasted pumpkin I had in the freezer, and green curry paste as I didn't have any red left. I also used coconut cream instead of milk. Left out the sugar and change the oil to coconut oil. In the bottom of DH's bowl I added noodles, he thought it was a laksa at first, went back for seconds not bad for some who doesn't like pumpkin. Lol. Will defiantly make this again.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!