Author Topic: Banana-Chocolate cake to die for!  (Read 20510 times)

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
    • Journal of a French Foodie
Banana-Chocolate cake to die for!
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:18:25 pm »
Source: The Pink Whisk

I make this cake very often as it is so moist, tasty and delicious! It's also great to use up all your over-ripe bananas  ;D

For 2 loaf tins (Divide the quantities by 2 if you only want 1 cake) :

250 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
125g butter
225g dark Muscovado sugar (important, do not substitute with white sugar or demerara sugar as it will not have the same taste!)
5 very ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
150g chocolate chips

Preheat the oven at 180C/160C fan oven/Gas oven 4.

In the Thermomix bowl, mix the butter and sugar 20 sec/speed 4 until well combined.

Add the eggs and the vanilla extract and mix 20 sec/speed 4. Keep the egg shells for the cleaning step later!

Add the flour and baking powder and mix another 20 sec/speed 4 until the flour is combined (scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula half way through).

Add the bananas and chocolate chips and mix 15 sec/speed 3 :-:

Line the loaf tins with buttered baking parchment and pour in the mixture.

Bake for 30-35 minutes checking every so often as ovens can vary. Then, cover with foil and bake for another 20 minutes.

Self-clean your bowl: add enough warm water to cover the blades and put the egg shells. Mix 20 sec/speed 8. Rinse and tap yourself in the back for a job well done  ;)

members' comments

runnybabbit - I used dark brown sugar instead of muscovado and it was delicious. So, so, moist. Will have to try it with muscovado next.

courton - I tried with muscovado sugar this time but was not as tasty as last time ...examined the original recipe from pinkwhisk and realised the instructions should clearly state not to mash bananas too finely. Leave it chunky. Makes a huge difference to end product. That was the vital difference ...the difference between using very dark brown sugar and muscovado sugar is minimal.

DJ - Only had 3 large bananas and 110 g chips. Seemed very stiff took longer than 15 secs to mix. Had to use light brown sugar and a bit of Demerara to make up amount. First cake almost eaten! A hit then! Thanks.

JD - One of my loaves was cooked perfectly, the other not as well so I am using the cooked one to serve buttered with coffee and the other one I heat and pour over some custard as it is more like a pudding texture.  Not a problem - 2 types of dessert from 1 recipe. I had to cook one 5 minutes longer and the other I did 10 minutes but it didn't seem to want to cook properly.  I used 160oC F/F but will up the temperature to 180 next time to see if that helps.  Very tasty recipe.
Do you know what, I don't remember cooking it for an extra 20 minutes with alfoil at all.  I think I read the first cooking time, set the timer and didn't keep reading the recipe. No wonder they both needed some more cooking time but it still doesn't explain why one was cooked and the other wasn't as they both shouldn't have been cooked at all.

thermo18 - Yum made this morning for afternoon tea a winner.

Frozzie - Made this tonight but didn't cook with foil in the second cooking time as it wasn't browned after the 35 mins...so cooked the whole time without... Had the same thing happen as jd.. One was more cooked than the other.. They were on the same level in the oven so don't know why.. Both cooked, just one more than the other.. I still had large chunks of banana when mixing so mixed a little more until no noticeable chunks of banana.. Haven't tasted yet as still cooling.. With the cake that was less cooked I just left it in the oven after turning it off and it was fine..Just tasted and they are so good... Lovely recipe.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:13:58 pm by judydawn »
An apple a day keeps the doctor away... provided you aim correctly.

http://www.journalofafrenchfoodie.com

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Banana-Chocolate cake to die for!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:37 pm »
Looks beautiful and moist nonomix :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:44:59 pm »
i have never seen or heard of Muscovado sugar b4 nonomix . Google time  ;D

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:17:22 pm »
Fundj, I checked for the italian translation and I found "Muscavato" or "zucchero grezzo"...

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »
thanks nonomix will check it out, i have plenty of italian delis around where i live.
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:25:00 pm »
Nonomix, when you say flour I presume plain flour. Here we get plain and self raising flour. I am planning to make your half moons which contains flour but no baking powder...so it is plain flour?

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:27:27 pm »
Fundj, apparently it is available in Coles and woollies...will check it out!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:30 am »
Courton i imagine its plain flour as here thats all they use generally and add a raising agent when necessary which is generally stated i. The recipe so just flour is generally plain flour.  There is a cake flour but its still not the same as self raising either.. Everybody uses plain flour and as nonomix is french even if she is in ireland i imagine thats what she meant.  However im sure he will comment when she gets back on..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:32:21 am »
I would imagine the flavour of bananas and chocolate chips would be rather nice together. On the m ust try list.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »
Nonomix, when you say flour I presume plain flour. Here we get plain and self raising flour. I am planning to make your half moons which contains flour but no baking powder...so it is plain flour?
Yes, when I don't specify, it's plain flour!

Offline runnybabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 06:19:00 am »
I just made this today and burnt the roof of my mouth eating the first piece. I used dark brown sugar instead of muscovado and it was delicious. So, so, moist. Will have to try it with muscovado next.

I made the mistake of giving a tiny piece to my one-year-old, now I have a little boy crawling after me whenever I eat it, going "MMMM, MMMMMMM!" insisting that I share my cake with him.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:09:11 am »
Runnybabbit you should of learnt by now that you don't share yummy food with your kids or you will never get any once they get the taste for it :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »
Runnybabbit  ;D I can picture your baby chasing you around the kitchen! This cake is so addictive, my DD is always asking me to make it!

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:29:29 am »
I tried with moscovedo sugar this time but was not as tasty as last time ...examined the original recipe from pinkwhisk and realised the instructions should clearly state not to mash bananas too finely. Leave it chunky. Makes a huge difference to end product. That was the vital difference ...the difference between using very dark brown sugar and moscvedo sugar is minimal.

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 05:41:26 pm »
Muscovado or dark brown sugar will give similar results alright but not if you use white sugar (or even demerara). The banana sjhouldn't be mashed too much if you follow the instructions 15sec/speed 3 reverse blade and the bananas are cut in big chunks to start with. But it's good to specify this. Thanks for the tips Courton!