Author Topic: Recipe review Chicken Stock Powder For Food's Sake page 25  (Read 41516 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe review Chicken Stock Powder For Food's Sake page 25
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:31 pm »
Rule number one CP is read the recipe . Didn't someone tell me this recently when I peeled the garlic unnecessarily for the garlic paste!!!!

Too funny.  If you did blitz the bones I can see no harm and a good source of calcium. I blitz raw chicken carcasses for the dogs but  not dried but  why not eh?

Quite a few  of us have made this now and  somehow we have all achieved the desired look and taste so it must be a bit of a forgiving recipe.

Tenina must be amused by us amateurs. :D

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:28 pm »
There seems to be some confusion over this recipe so I will see if I can help out here.

Roast a chicken for your dinner (or buy one already roasted), remove ALL the skin and set it aside before serving the meat. Keep the cooked carcass - there will be some meat attached to it.  Break the carcass into pieces and lay it and the skin onto a tray which has been lined with glad bake. Use your largest oven tray (it's best that everything is not piled on top of each other or it will take too long to dry out). Cut the carrot into 3mm slices, the celery into 5mm slices and your onion quartered and all the layers separated.  Place these vegies in and around the bones and skin. It is a struggle to get them all onto the tray without having some sit on top but you will not have too many doubled up. I placed mine individually onto the tray in the gaps, I just didn't tip them on. Bake for 40 mins at 160oC then turn the oven down to 140oC - this next stage takes up to 2 hours.  Check every so often after an hour or so and remove any vegie that looks completely dried.  The onion will be the first to dry out.  As you gain more room on the tray, make sure everything is in a single layer. The smell is amazing.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 10:49:48 pm »
Good tips  JD? You can also just buy frames for about 50 cents each or $5 a box from Lenards and put I the oven raw with the vegetables.

From now on I will be reading the recipes three times mummy. Promise :D

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »
There's no skin then though Gretchen and I think the skin is very important.  I noted the other day you did this but you used the skin from some thighs - here in SA it is a long time since I have seen thighs with their skin on.  Maybe in the market but not in Foodland or Leonards.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »
There's no skin then though Gretchen and I think the skin is very important.  I noted the other day you did this but you used the skin from some thighs - here in SA it is a long time since I have seen thighs with their skin on.  Maybe in the market but not in Foodland or Leonards.

What, no skin on the thighs.?? What a rip off.  Interesting that one Lenards  near me has no thighs with skin on but another does.  Woolies sells them both ways and Woolies also have breasts on the frame with skin on for as low as $4.99 which is a real bargain.

I love it that so many of us are actually using this cookbook and not just looking at the pretty pictures.  The Dinner  Spinner is also well used which just goes to show that Tenina  know what she is doing.

Gretch

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 11:59:47 pm »
I've done a few of the flavour booster recipes so far Gretchen - next stage will be to try some of the recipes, so many things in there that I want to do but it will take time.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:20 am »
yes I blitzed the bones. I thought this was a wonderful way to use up a whole chicken without wasting anything, and at the same time being able to use the meat. My blades look ok I don't appear to have ruined them. I interpreted the carcass as the skeleton/bones. What a duffer! Might have to make this again when the weather gets cooler as it was bl**dy hot having the oven on for that length of time.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 12:56:30 am »
yes I blitzed the bones. I thought this was a wonderful way to use up a whole chicken without wasting anything, and at the same time being able to use the meat. My blades look ok I don't appear to have ruined them. I interpreted the carcass as the skeleton/bones. What a duffer! Might have to make this again when the weather gets cooler as it was bl**dy hot having the oven on for that length of time.

Same here CP. too bl**dy hot.

So glad you used the bones. Suppose you could do the same for a dried fish stock?  Might try it with a fish carcass and grind the bones in.

Gert

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 02:04:12 am »
Sorry JD I'm still confused!!

What do you do with your oven dried chicken carcass/bones then? Throw it away? What's the point of drying it? Does the flavour go into the veggies? Thanks!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 04:10:31 am »
Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one confused!

I did think bones too...

Will keep checking back lol

So it's the dried out skin, and the small amount of flesh that's dried out on the carcass that goes in the stock?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 04:16:56 am »
I think Tenina better clarify this but if you look at step 4 it says to remove as much flesh as possible from the carcass bones and place all fresh vegies, skin and chicken into the bowl for blending.  
Step 5 says to add the remaining ingredients which to me is just the dried ingredients on the RH side of the ingredient list. Nowhere does she say to add the bones but I will stand corrected if she means us to do this.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:23:00 am by judydawn »

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31:32 am »
I think you're right JD  :)

I don't think I could blitz up the bones anyway :'(
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 04:46:31 am »
I think you're right JD  :)

I don't think I could blitz up the bones anyway :'(

I am sure that  you are not meant to add the bones but it would certainly would be tasty, value added and as CP says "It looks the same".

I think we would all be surprised what food manufacturers do with chicken bones. Note I said food MANUFACTURERS not farmers. Might be scary.

Gretch

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:32 am »
I've got some roasting at the moment, but I took the instructions to mean same as you Judy.  Otherwise why would you pull the flesh off the bones if you were going to mill them together at the end anyway? It would be an unnecessary step.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 05:11:08 am »
Yes, I thought the same Julie.