Author Topic: Recipe review Chicken Stock Powder For Food's Sake page 25  (Read 41526 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Recipe review Chicken Stock Powder For Food's Sake page 25
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:54:52 am »
This is worth the effort as it makes so much (almost 500g). Once the temperature was dropped to 140oC, I kept checking every 1/2 hour and removed anything that had dried completely, namely the onion to start with.  All up, it took 2 hours at the lower temperature but by that time there were only a few bits and pieces on the tray as I had been removing pieces.  I have decided to freeze mine in 2 packets as I used dried onions I had bought in bulk from an Indian grocer and these had been kept in the freezer prior to using in this recipe.  
Taste wise I won't know until I use it but I'm sure it will be very tasty - there is so much in there to give it flavour.

During the first blitzing stage I got an error message 31 for some reason.  When I looked in the bowl I thought the mix had burnt to a cinder, it was packed so tightly on the bottom of the TM bowl.  I would suggest blitzing for 30 seconds then use a spatula to loosen the mixture before continuing on for the next 30 seconds.  No problems when I added the rest of the ingredients for the last blitzing stage.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:58:14 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
Re: Recipe review Chicken Stock Powder For Food's Sake page 25
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:29:47 am »
Keen to hear your tastes review Judy.

I want to make this one, but it is a little time prohibitive with 2 littlies.

I was a little lost in some of the steps, so need to have a proper read through it I think!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:24 am »
You do need to read it carefully, only the fresh vegies and the chicken skin and carcass goes into the oven - all the dry ingredients and spices get added at the end into the TM bowl.  Would you believe I had everything for that recipe except the carrots.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:59 am »
Yes its on my lst, but It seems a bit complicated.

Well done Judy

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:20:43 am »
Looks exactly like the photo in Tenina's Cookbook Judy ;D All these wonderful recipes are going to make extra special hamper ideas next Christmas ;) ;) :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:29:42 am »
I'll be making this sometime in the coming week.  Judy the dried peas, am I right in thinking it's the stuff kept in the same area as the instant mashed potato?  I can't say I've seen any in years, so will have to have a look.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:29 am »
I used Surprise dried peas Julie - threw the whole packet in, what's 10g between friends.  I'm not sure where I found it now  but I've got a feeling it was near the canned vegetables but just ask if you can't locate it, they all sell it.  I haven't bought them for ages but these are the only peas my SIL will eat.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:49:27 am »
Thanks Judy, I was on the right track then, I know where to look.  :D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:19:58 am »
Those are the peas I used too but I guess you could use dried split peas as well.  I bought chicken carcasses but had some chicken thighs with skin on so I just stripped them and laid them over the carcasses doing all the roasting and drying at the same time. Worked a treat and smells wonderful.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:33:51 am »
I used Surprise dried peas Julie - threw the whole packet in, what's 10g between friends.  I'm not sure where I found it now  but I've got a feeling it was near the canned vegetables but just ask if you can't locate it, they all sell it.  I haven't bought them for ages but these are the only peas my SIL will eat.

Surprise peas are the right ones…dried split peas will not work. Noting there needs to be clearer instructions with this one….thanks guys, got to get all changes marked up by the end of this week! Reprint imminent! Thanks to you all for great feedback…we are also now in Books for Cooks in Melbourne. SO exciting!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:20 am »
Thank goodness I didn't have any split peas then!!! Maybe frozen peas could be tossed into the oven with the other vegetables?? Actually I have put frozen peas in the microwave that have come out looking like dried peas!

Great recipe Tenina.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:31:42 am »
have this in the oven now. probably drying out as per the recipe for 2 hours, but still a few things that are a little moist so I have turned the oven off and will get to it after work. (yes, combining work when not cooking - work always gets in the way)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:19 am »
all done. as I was taking all the dried goodies out of the oven I wondered if I should have put the whole chook on the tray in pieces as I dried out only skin & bones. the recipe then said to "remove as much flesh from the carcass bones as possible..." (oops  :o I wasn't reading the recipe properly I thought), but then I thought I would go ahead with the skin & bones anyway. Whilst blitzing it looked like smoke coming through the MC hole, but I just thought this may have been cos I had it resting in the oven for a few hours and it was still slightly warm? anyway I did a quick rearrangement with the spatula and proceeded. It has turned out exactly like the picture. Put half a jar of it in the fridge and vac sealed the rest for the pantry. Feeling pretty self sufficient at the moment  :D

(I used dried shitake mushrooms (Asian aisle in the supermarket), and got the Celtic sea salt from the health food shop)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:32 am »
You didn't blitz the bones did you CP  :o

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »
The recipe is a bit confusing.. I had to read it twice but no way i would be crushing up bones as part of stock anyway.. That has to be a health hazard... Jd did you just put the whole chook in or cut it up in pieces?? Thats the bit i find confusing.. How is the chook (how aussie is that word lol) put in the oven.. Whole or in pieces???
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/