Author Topic: Chicken Salad with Vietnamese Dressing - Dinner Spinner  (Read 32672 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Salad with Vietnamese Dressing - Dinner Spinner
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 06:09:46 am »
I used chicken breast too, which is good for this recipe as it shreds easily.  Everytime I have made it I have had quite big chicken breasts (don't want to boast!) and they have required a bit of a stir and a couple more minutes cooking time.

LOVE the idea of ricepaper rolls, Dashingden, will try that too.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 11:00:01 am »
I used the left over chicken and dressing from when I made this the other day to make rice paper spring rolls for lunch. I shredded the cabbage and julienned some carrot and leb cucumber. I used the dressing as a dipping sauce.  This worked really well. It would probably work better for someone who can roll up spring rolls so they don't fall apart when you eat them.

I have never been any good at rolling things like this.  I always over fill soft shell tacos and burritos so they fall apart too. When I smoked as a young man I always had to buy tailor mades, I could neve smoke rollies.

I have the same problem Dashingden -  with food not cigarettes. ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 11:29:35 am »
I made the dressing the otherr day and we have been using it on mixed leaves, yum

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
The reviews on this one have been great - I have 1/2 a roast chicken left over from tonight so will make this tomorrow using that.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »
On the menu again tonight with unexpected visitors for dinner - 800g chicken cooked varoma 18mins added rice stick noodles (soaked in boiling water while chicken cooked), bean sprouts and sugar snap peas and doubled the dressing - thumbs up all around  :)  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:28:09 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:51 pm »
What a great way to tweak and expand this recipe Johnro.  I will have to keep this in mind for the future.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
I made 1/4 of this recipe for the 2 of us using leftover BBQ chicken. I used Chinese cabbage, sambal oelek instead of fresh chillies and frozen basil leaves and it was lovely.  Next time I would make sure I had all the ingredients to make 1/2 quantity of the dressing as we could have done with a little more.  I didn't think DH would like it and waited until he had finished before asking - surprisingly he did. So light and with the chicken on hand, very quick to put together. Good one Tenina.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying this when our weather gets a bit warmer....

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 06:26:05 pm »
The dressing is such a standout I made this salad the other day for a vegetarian, obviously omitting the chicken and it still is lovely. I have also made it using cooked prawns by once again leaving out the chicken and  just  putting it together with the cooked prawns at the end. I can't rave enough about  this recipe. It is just so versatile. I think over summer so far I have made this salad at least 12 times now as it  is so quick ie great to make whenever unexpected  guests drop in  and it feeds a crowd really nicely.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 07:23:14 pm »
Made this for dinner last night, and it tasted great. Should have read the recipe a little more as there were only the two of us and we had shredded cabbage everywhere. I also found it quite difficult to eat (put way too much on our plates), next time I think I will mix it together first. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today so hoping it still tastes as good.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 08:04:05 pm »
Have to agree with everyone else here - this is fantastic! Made it for the first time last night amid many compliments and exclamations!  I accidentally put a little more fish sauce in the dressing than was called for and found we didn't have the chilli - so we used a little chilli powder - but it still didn't matter.  We didn't have exactly what was called for in the salad but that didn't seem to matter either! The dressing covers all bases!   Daughter commented, "This is a great way to cook chicken!"  Even SWHL commented after dinner, "Wow, the kitchen smells great!" All in all, an absolutely first rate dish and about to become a very firm family favourite!

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 01:55:31 am »
Made this for a picnic yesterday and have to agree - it's a winner! Love the way the TMX shreds the chicken, will have to use that method for other recipes as well.
Does anyone know how long the dressing would last? Would be good to make double and keep some in the fridge for a quick salad.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 11:21:52 am »
Have to agree with everyone else here - this is fantastic! Made it for the first time last night amid many compliments and exclamations!  I accidentally put a little more fish sauce in the dressing than was called for and found we didn't have the chilli - so we used a little chilli powder - but it still didn't matter.  We didn't have exactly what was called for in the salad but that didn't seem to matter either! The dressing covers all bases!   Daughter commented, "This is a great way to cook chicken!"  Even SWHL commented after dinner, "Wow, the kitchen smells great!" All in all, an absolutely first rate dish and about to become a very firm family favourite!

YAY, we love this too….Wonder, how did it taste the next day?? I think it improves over a couple of days.
And as for keeping the dressing, it will keep for 3 weeks in the fridge, you just need to whiz it up again to recombine as it will separate.
Thanks for all the positives guys…

;D ;D ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:02 am »
Great to hear the dressing keeps for 3 weeks, we love the dressing :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 11:29:31 am »
Yes so do we here.  Nice to know we can make up a batch and it will keep.  Thanks Tenina, hope you enjoyed your cruise.